Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-23-2022, 02:43 PM   #1

166FBS weight and tongue weight

I know that "listed" numbers are generally optimistic compared with "real life" numbers but they can usually be reconciled.

Jayco lists the UVW of the 166 at 3975. The sticker on the side lists the as built weight at 4135. I can almost reconcile that; the UVW probably doesn't include propane, while the 4135 specifically does, and the UVW would not include any options, so:

30 lb propane tanks add 76 lbs (110 full, vs 34 empty for stock 20 lb). 12V refrigerator lists a weight of 125 vs 115 for the Dometic absorption, so add 10 lbs. Go Power Overlander weighs 38, and that's all the options on mine.

That means I can account for 124 of the 160 lbs, which is probably within the build tolerance.

A much bigger problem is tongue weight. The Dry Hitch Weight is listed at 445 lbs. When I was figuring on towing with my Grand Cherokee (and did for 200 miles) I foolishly thought I could figure on around 550. Add 55 for the Andersen WDH, and you get 445 left on my payload of 1050. Add myself, my wife, and the Golden Retriver and you get 380 so I had 65 lbs to play with.

So, real world. Start with the 445 Jayco lists. Add 76 for the propane, although they are slightly behind the tongue, and you get 521. The options should reduce tongue weight. The refrigerator is at the back end, the Overlander is partially over the axle, but majority behind it. I'll be generous and say the 166 should be 510 on the tongue empty except for propane.

I have a tongue scale, and measured mine this morning with empty tanks and empty refrigerator at 650 lbs. I was surprised, but I shouldn't have been.

Andersen chains are on the tongue, probably around 20 lbs. 2 additional solar panels are mostly forward of the axle at 29 lbs. Heavy Renogy MPPT controller is way forward. 2 100AH Lithiums and 2000 watt inverter are inside but way forward. Replacement mattress is quite a bit heavier than stock, and it's at the front.

There are other things that are plus and minus, but net is likely to be about where it is now.

I got the F150 to tow (but kept the GC because I really like it) mostly because I just didn't feel the tow experience was comfortable. Can't put my finger on any one thing, just gut feeling. Turns out the numbers say I did the right thing!

I'm posting this as a cautionary tale for any others that are wooed by "Dry Hitch Weight!"
Past: 2015 Winnebago View, 2004 Blue Bird M380, 1990 Blue Bird WB40, 2003 Safari Zanzibar, 1998 Safari Sahara

DonBr is offline   Reply With Quote