Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-27-2020, 11:06 PM   #1

184bh brake replacement

Hi!

I have recently purchased a 2015 184bh SLX, tv is a 2019 Honda Pilot. Installed a P3 controller and adjusted the brakes and they are engaging but even when adjusted all the way up won’t lock. Worse still they are grinding. Given that the previous owner only put about 2000 miles on the little bird, looks like it was never used, all 2000 miles must have been driven with the breaks at least partially engaged.

It has the dexter axel — but I cannot find anyway to determine the replacement drum size, short of removing it and measuring it and I don’t want to do that without the parts.

Does anyone have any idea which drum this unit uses?

Also, I am thinking about replacing the bearings as well, due to the heat that had to be generated from driving with the brakes on for a couple thousand miles...smh

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you!
MDcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 11:44 PM   #2
Site Team

The grinding may be rusty drums, from lack of use, or worn out shoes if the previous owners used the brakes excessively. Either way, it sounds like they need attention. Your brakes won't lock up on a hard surface, Ours won't either. The only way ours lock is, if on a gravel surface, I pull the breakaway switch, and try to move it.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 11:49 AM   #3

Thank you for the response flightrisk! I tried on gravel per your suggestion, still no go.

I’m going to replace the shoes, any idea how to determine which size drums they used? The manuals refer a range of possible drum sizes — I think due to the weight rating and bolt pattern — it’s the 10” diameter 2” width?
Old 08-28-2020, 11:55 AM   #4
Site Team

I have 3500# axles under our TT, and mine are 10" x 2" drums.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
Old 08-28-2020, 12:10 PM   #5

Thank you, that’s a big help!

I was feeling nervous about ordering—etrailer delivery has been taking weeks (not their fault postal service is wonko due to the “rona”) but didn’t want to wait for the wrong part...

Would you replace bearings too? Or just repack?
Old 08-28-2020, 12:17 PM   #6
Site Team

Just my preference, but I would replace them and the grease seals while I was at it. I like the Timken bearings, and double lip seals. The new drums may already come with new bearings installed. A call to etrailer would confirm that for you.

Only for the peace of mind that everything in there is new.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
Old 08-28-2020, 12:58 PM   #7

The smaller trailers all have 10" brakes.

I have never been able to get my brakes to lock up. If you drive 25 mph and pull the lever on your controller will it slow the entire rig down to a stop? If so you are probably just fine.

Instead of throwing money at it, I would pull the drums off before buying anything. That you you know what you really need and when you do the work you aren't running into something unexpected. You'll need to inspect the magnets for wear. If any of the wires inside the magnet are showing through, you need new ones, or of the flat surface facing out is badly scarred. Also test the voltage at the magnet with a multi-meter. You should get close to 12 volts when someone is pulling the brake controller lever. You can also inspect everything else including the bearings. They may only need to be repacked. But they are also cheap so replacing them isn't bad either.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 01:14 PM   #8

Thank you for all the help and advice! I’m going to take your advice and replace the whole shooting match and I’ll be sure to get the Timkens.
Old 12-14-2021, 06:15 PM   #9

Checking on the bolt pattern for a 184BH. I believe it’s 5 on 4.5. Can someone confirm this? Thnx!

Tags
184bh, brakes grinding