Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-01-2012, 03:02 PM   #1

184bh Questions

Hi, new here. We are looking at getting a 184bh. I think I've read every thread on here that pertains to it, but I still have a few questions if you don't mind.

1. Does the a/c keep up in the heat? I live in TX and it get's hot here! I'd really appreciate an honest opinion on this. We like it cool in the camper. Our old 165 Sport had the 13.5k unit and it was too powerful for such a small unit.

2. I'm 5'10 and my wife is 5'3. Will the dinette conversion be ok for us? Normally I'd go check it out myself, but the local dealer didn't have any in stock. I'm wondering if there was a way to modify it to make it even larger? We'll be keeping it set up as a bed so I probably won't be using the actual table for a bed.

3. From pics, it looks like the shower doesn't have a surround abs tub. What keeps the water from soaking the walls?

Thanks for the help all. I really look forward to being able to contribute here in the future.
sherpaxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:03 AM   #2

1. The AC works well but keeping up with the heat is subjective. Remember, it's a small AC, only 5000 BTU apartment window type.

2. Dinette conversion should be ok for you. Trailer is 7 feet wide, subtract about 4 inches for inside dimensions. No way to modify it unless you were to
extent it out towards the "Kitchen" area, but then the fridge would be a problem. Went out and measured the inside width. 81 inches wall to wall.

3. Can't think of the material the walls are made from, but will not absorb water.

I know TX heat all too well. Lived there for 13 yrs and camped in a Jayco PUP w/AC...."Hot"....

We've been very satisfied w/our 184 BH
LBL 1206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:13 AM   #3

Thank you so very much for the info. I appreciate you taking the time to answer. I wonder...if it's just an apartment unit, would a higher BTU unit still fit? Say buying an 8,000 btu a/c and using that instead? Those things aren't that expensive.

Yeah, we started with a pop up too and it's nice to have when going up to Colorado, but hanging out on the Frio or San Marcos river is way not fun in there during the day! That's why we moved to a hard sided. I'm totally jonesing for the 184bh.

Does anyone have any interior pics of any mods they've done?
Old 08-02-2012, 01:18 PM   #4

Larger AC unit, I don't know about dimensions of larger units and cutting wall to accommodate isn't an option.
I've done cosmetic mods to the inside, pixs on walls, dish towel hanger, splash screen behind stove, cable TV hook up, etc. but nothing that required major measure and cut.

Bought my first Jayco at Crestview RV back in 1987. Lived at Morgans Point Resort, Belton Lake, Belton, Tx 13 yrs.
LBL 1206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:32 PM   #5

Crestview is where we will probably buy it from. I just worry that little ac can't keep up with our heat even parked in the shade but I do love the floor plan and am a total jayco devotee.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:44 PM   #6

Just got back from a trip and was very hot outside all week. A/c cools off plenty.. close the blinds and you should be ok. It doesn't come ice cold but for the size of the unit you can't go wrong.

I love my 184bh
Pat
iLLBRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:55 PM   #7

Sherpaxc, HOWDY from a fellow Texan being down in the DFW area our 31.5 FBHS has a 15K A/c, and on these 105*-110* days there is now way it will keep up. But you know what, it will be hard for any A/C to keep up. I can tell you we have been to the local lake a couple of times in our 5er and in the heat of the day 77* is about the best i can get out of it. Being from the world of the A/c service industry 12000 btu's equals one ton of cooling, the problem you will run into is after you go past a ton or ton and a half of a/c you will change from 120 volt to 220 volt power supply. In a nut shell what I am trying to say is if you go to largest unit you can you might have a issue with tripping the breaker in the trailer when the a/c first starts up (lower voltage means higher amps) on start up, so just be sure to check what the unit draws (look for FLA or FRA on the tag: full load amps or full rated amps). That will tell you what the unit will draw when the trailer is hot and the unit is first turned on, that is what the a/c will draw until every thing cools down inside. Don't want to scare you by no means, after the sun starts to set we have no issue, and anyway we spend most of the day outside. But again if it was not HOT it would not be TEXAS (It's like a whole other Country)
Old 08-03-2012, 07:10 AM   #8

I live in Missouri, and our summers are about equal to Texas (over 100 for 22 straight days). I just got back from my first outing with my 184BH for 10 days. As stated, no RV ac can keep up in this heat. The AC inside will lower the temperature about 20 degrees. There are two ceiling vents in the 184bh that can accept a rooftop AC. I understand that neither one is wired for AC, but I am strongly considering a mod to run a 13.5 btu AC on top. I previously had a popup camper with a 13.5 btu AC and no matter what the temp outside you could hang meat inside. You can get brand new rooftop AC on sale or ebay for $500.

As is... I am satisfied with my AC, provided they can stop it leaking inside my camper (see other post). I had streams of water leaking inside my camper and had to go to great lengths to try to keep it out. I will be taking it in today to get it fixed. While I am there, I will be talking with them about the option of wiring in electrical for my possible upcoming upgrade. I have about 8-9 things that need to be fixed on warranty most of them are small.

X

2017 Jayco 287BHSW
xkuzme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:38 AM   #9

Thanks for the responses. I actually just put in a 13.5k btu a/c in a friends camper. It was a pretty easy install, but we were replacing a broke unit so we just swapped it out. Hardest part was getting it up there and lining up the bolts.

It would be nice if the 184bh was wired for a rooftop a/c. I wonder how difficult it would be to get it wired. In our old 185 Sport, i didn't matter if it was 120 degrees outside, that a/c in that little camper would still freeze you out! Really though, there is only a handfull of times we've camped in full sun and it was over 100. But when we did, it was sure nice to have a cool place to go too.

I thought the a/c problem was limited to the 2011's? Do you have a newer one and are having issues? Or is it a 2011?
Old 08-03-2012, 07:56 PM   #10

Mine is a 2012. I just took it into the dealer today to have it fixed. I am also having them shoot me a quote to do the wiring for a 13.5 unit on top. I may try to go with a 11k unit or even something slightly smaller so that I can run it with a smaller generator.

X

2017 Jayco 287BHSW
Old 08-03-2012, 09:16 PM   #11

like our 184 but have had serious wheel hub issues..... see earlier post today about that.....happy camping!
bayleightucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:58 AM   #12

sherpaxc, how did you make out with your 184bh, still in love?
Gsutherland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:10 PM   #13

Bump

2017 Jayco 287BHSW