Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-16-2016, 02:27 PM   #1

185rb Fridge Issues Ad Nauseum ...

We have a 2015 SLX 185rb (our 2nd Jayco TT) that is perfect for us, a retired couple with 2 dogs, except for one thing. Our Norcold N302R refrigerator won't maintain temperature below 45 degrees, especially on hot summer days and ESPECIALLY if the A/C is running. I have researched this issue and found we are not alone with this problem. I have tried the suggested remedies, installing fans to circulate the air behind the fridge, talked to the dealer, etc., all to no avail. I read one post where the camper was sent back to Jayco and after several months returned only to fail again. Since our dealer "hemmed and hawed" long enough for my warranty to expire, Jayco obviously doesn't have a fix for this issue and we LOVE this camper except for this one rather major issue, I have decided to take the matter in my own hands and solve this once and for all. I have removed the 2.7 cu/ft heat absorption refrigerator and replaced it with a 3.6 cu/ft conventional mini fridge (https://www.summitappliance.com/cata...del/FF433ESADA) and now our camper is PERFECT! Sure, we lost the ability to run on propane, but since it didn't work anyway, what have we really lost? This camper has very small holding tanks (9 gal black tank and 15 gal gray tank) so we wouldn't be doing any camping off the grid anyway. I will be posting photos and descriptions in the "Mods" forum. My next project will be to install a sine wave inverter so we can run the fridge while on the road
Beau (Hound mix)
----------------------------
2015 Jay Flight Swift SLX 185RB
2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL
JayRidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 03:24 PM   #2

Sounds like a great fix. Be interested in how your next project goes with the sine wave inverter. For long trips you need to run it while on the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John
2011 Jay Feather Ultra Lite X213
2000 Chevy 2500HD Silverado
jmoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 03:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoors View Post
Sounds like a great fix. Be interested in how your next project goes with the sine wave inverter. For long trips you need to run it while on the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
X2 on the interest. Looking at the specs for the new fridge it shows .8 amps at 115v AC - so about 92watts. That will likely be about 8 or so amps from the 12v battery via the inverter. If you don't have one pick up a Kill-o-Watt meter and use it to monitor the draw whiles it's running on shore power to see what that is over time once it's reached the desired cool-down temp. Then you can extrapolate out about how long you can run it off your battery before it reaches 50% discharge. Sounds like a good solution for your needs.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote