Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-10-2016, 08:06 PM   #11

Nearly a year in

Just an update. The only issue when I picked it up was the outside receptacle would trip the gfci circuit, so we fixed that at the dealership. I had brought my meter, circuit tester, and the diagrams and schematics so it was a quick fix. The guys at the dealership said they'd never seen someone show up with a plastic crate of trailer stuff and a checklist in all their years, unless it was a trade in. I love being an engineering nerd

Used the trailer a few weeks last year, with no issues. HVAC worked great in Reno in August. Fridge ran cold, although when it's in gas mode if the trailer is buttoned up against dust storms out in the desert, there's plenty of extra heat from that. The good part of that was when the temps plummeted a few nights, the unit was good and warm so while I ran the heater enough to burn off the coils at the campground on day 1, I never needed it after that. Water pump was fine, hot water heater worked (but I promptly bypassed and drained it so it'd be easier when I winterized it), and all the lights and radio and such were good. I don't think I'll use the awning in the windy conditions out there, but it's nice to have if you're just rolling it out to sit under it when it's calm.

The baja package is great. Ground clearance rocked, and the extra scissors prevented any rocking or swaying in the wind. Also good knowing I have extra water capacity. In one week trip, I only used a few gallons of water, and couldn't believe how much I had left when I offloaded to store it. The good thing is it meant I know I flushed the grey tank well with clear water Black tank remains unused beyond just an extra spot to dump hand washing water. I'll stick to portolets or campground toilets whenever possible, so I'll never have tank sludge issues.

The only bad news is that at my storage place (really nice owners, great location) had a breakin a few weeks after I left and the punks wanted to rummage thru units. They busted out the door-side window over the bunk. So it's had a temporary window caulked into place all winter. The mobile RV place which told me they'd picked up the replacement and installed it never did, which I just found out about recently. I get to deal with that in a few weeks when I go out there; I'm hoping it's either an easy fix or I can just 'permanently' seal that window up. Only the glass was busted out, the frame seems okay from the pics I have. Annoying for a brand new unit, and frustrating the Mobile RV fixers blew me off, but I can deal with it. The good news is they also never picked up the check at the storage place, so at least I wasn't out any cash for the work.

All in all, I loved the 185RB; size was perfect, price was good, delivery and dealer were great. If I used it a lot I'd start tweaking things but for a TT I can leave on the other end of the country and use at random or let friends and family borrow, it'll work great.

seanmcpherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 08:08 PM   #12

Quick follow up : anyone have any *good* recommendations for a RV window repair in or near Reno, NV?

seanmcpherson is offline   Reply With Quote