Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-17-2018, 04:16 PM   #1

195RB SLX Anyone modified propane tank mount?

Maintenance of the propane tank is a PITA. Anyone changed the tank mounting hardware to make removing and reinstalling the tank easier?
skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 04:39 PM   #2

I have a similar size trailer and am in the process of adding this over the same basic area:

https://www.amazon.com/Flame-King-KT...70_&dpSrc=srch

I'm assuming you have the 2 bolt and nut setup bolted to angle iron? Jayco should be ashamed of themselves!

Best,
Steve
GarlicDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 07:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarlicDude View Post
I have a similar size trailer and am in the process of adding this over the same basic area:

https://www.amazon.com/Flame-King-KT...70_&dpSrc=srch

I'm assuming you have the 2 bolt and nut setup bolted to angle iron? Jayco should be ashamed of themselves!

Best,
Steve
Yes, that was the stock system on mine. I did modify it and it is better. I like the two tank mounting that the link showed.
Old 04-18-2018, 06:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarlicDude View Post
I have a 22bhm and it came with the same garbage setup!
arodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 03:57 AM   #5

We changed ours to the dual tank tray your talking about. We welded a new crossmember to the top of the tounge for mounting but you could easily use 2" wide square u-bolts like these.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00D8...60L&ref=plSrch
You'll have to drill a couple holes in the propane tray but it should hold securly.

At least the OEM design makes it difficult for thieves....
Lord Humongous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 08:09 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Humongous View Post
We changed ours to the dual tank tray your talking about. We welded a new crossmember to the top of the tounge for mounting but you could easily use 2" wide square u-bolts like these.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00D8...60L&ref=plSrch
You'll have to drill a couple holes in the propane tray but it should hold securly.

At least the OEM design makes it difficult for thieves....
OEM makes it difficult for anyone
Does the wider install interfere with turning sharply? Could there be a tank puncture hazard in the event of jackknifing?
Old 04-19-2018, 08:55 AM   #7

It looks to me like the tanks would set back 6 - 8" from a line between the hitch ball and the corner of the trailer. Should be ok for sharp turns but hard to say about a jack knife.

In any case, I just ordered the kit from Amazon to convert to two tanks.

A guy on YouTube shows attaching the support plate to the frame by drilling into the frame. I guess I'm paranoid about drilling extra holes in the frame, especially on the tongue. I'll probably use square u-bolts as LH suggested.
bigironcoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 01:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigironcoder View Post
It looks to me like the tanks would set back 6 - 8" from a line between the hitch ball and the corner of the trailer. Should be ok for sharp turns but hard to say about a jack knife.

In any case, I just ordered the kit from Amazon to convert to two tanks.

A guy on YouTube shows attaching the support plate to the frame by drilling into the frame. I guess I'm paranoid about drilling extra holes in the frame, especially on the tongue. I'll probably use square u-bolts as LH suggested.
I had the same thought. It was hard to justify possibly introducing rust or weakening the frame for a propane mount. Realistically it'd probably hold up just fine but it makes me feel better.

I did some tight backing the other day and the tanks were about 6"s away. If jackknife did occur the bumper would contact the plate first. Im guessing If the tank was hit the middle post would bend and the tanks would possibly be ejected.

I know a guy with a single 40lb tank he has mounted in a bracket he bought on eBay. Very secure setup
Attached Thumbnails
9FB6D929-7832-4375-AA0B-193E8B6933E8.jpg  
Old 04-19-2018, 05:23 PM   #9

Thanks for the video.
Old 04-20-2018, 04:41 AM   #10
jfg

Quote:
Originally Posted by arodriguez View Post
I have a 22bhm and it came with the same garbage setup!
I also have a 22bhm... we only got 1 bolt! I added a second nut to try minimizing how loose it gets as I drive around but I’m going to install a proper tank support this summer.
jfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 07:48 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfg View Post
I also have a 22bhm... we only got 1 bolt! I added a second nut to try minimizing how loose it gets as I drive around but I’m going to install a proper tank support this summer.
Do you know what support you plan on using? I have been looking at different options but as other have mentioned I am not crazy about drilling anything into the frame.
Old 04-20-2018, 08:11 AM   #12

Sounds like you plan to stay with 1 propane tank on your 22bhm. I'm not familiar with how your tank is mounted using only 1 bolt, but if it's sitting on 2 cross braces, wouldn't you be able to drill another mount hole in the one that doesn't have one?

I'm not crazy about drilling into a main frame member on the tongue, but I wouldn't worry about drilling into a cross brace between the frame members.
Old 04-20-2018, 09:16 AM   #13

I took a look at where the dual tank bracket would be mounted. It looks like my equalizer hitch chain mechanisms are in the way. I did put different nuts,bolts, so that I can at least get a better wrench in there. Yes, Jayco should be ashamed of the OEM system! It was like an afterthought.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:02 AM   #14

Maybe coupler pins instead of nuts/bolts?
Old 04-20-2018, 12:28 PM   #15

My OEM propane tank had one bolt holding it down on the bottom of the tank. I added a second bolt for more security. Still, a proper tank holder should have been used. It's no fun laying on your back undoing the nuts and bolts to replace a tank. Off topic, a little, my 195rb battery box is only attached to the frame with that cloth strap. No bolts! Crazy.
Kozmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 12:32 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozmo View Post
My OEM propane tank had one bolt holding it down on the bottom of the tank. I added a second bolt for more security. Still, a proper tank holder should have been used. It's no fun laying on your back undoing the nuts and bolts to replace a tank. Off topic, a little, my 195rb battery box is only attached to the frame with that cloth strap. No bolts! Crazy.
I wonder if that is a dealer issue? I ask because my tank had the two bolts and the battery box is bolted. Not to take this further off topic but I would like to add a second battery - not sure the 22bhm has the space.
Old 04-20-2018, 01:07 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Humongous View Post
Maybe coupler pins instead of nuts/bolts?
That is a good idea!
Old 04-20-2018, 01:22 PM   #18

I know when the dealer got my new trailer last year, it came in without a propane tank or battery. A dealer must have that choice.
Old 04-21-2018, 08:39 AM   #19

I guess that doesn't say much about my rv dealer, Haylett in Coldwater, MI. It took a lot of searching but I found a pop up tank ring that I am pretty sure will work. All the pop ups I've owned in the past had this mounting ring, an excellent set up. $25. Why my dealer couldn't have used this, I don't know. The bolts on the bottom of the tank make no sense to me.
Propane LP Gas Bottle Ring 2013002 Viking Pop Up Camper Gas Bottle Mounting Ring | Hanna Trailer Supply Oak Creek, Wisconsin
Kozmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 02:03 PM   #20

My dual propane tank mount came in this morning, and I installed it this afternoon. Took about an hour. I used 2" wide x 5 1/2" long "square" u-bolts to mount it. Already had 3 big screws for the anti-sway ball mount drilled in the frame right there and didn't want to further weaken the frame.

From the pic, it looks close to the anti-sway ball, but it has plenty of room. Now I'm going to have to either repaint the off-white tank or get a cover.

I may leave the single hose hookup as is. My goal wasn't so much to get more capacity, as it was to have propane available while I took a tank to get filled.