Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-16-2017, 02:01 PM   #1

2007 213 EXP Slide Motor Issue

I picked up a 213 EXP this summer and we have been really enjoying it. I looking for information on proper use of the manual slide crank and also serviceability of the slide motor's internals. The slide worked great all summer. At one point I noticed the rear slide was slightly drooping and read up on all the post about issues people have add with this. I've since realized my slide is going all the way out against the seal and there for the droop must be built in and normal. But at one point I decided to hand crank it out the last little bit in attempt to get it level. When I went to pull the slide in days later the clutch made the normal end of travel clicking noise and it wouldn't budge. I used the hand crank to relieve that extra torque I had applied and then it worked fine. I've since noticed an unhealthy creaking noise but it has kept working fine. A couple days ago, around the time temps dropped this fall, the slide started getting stuck and you can hear the clutch clicking. At first it was mid travel but now it seems to just happen at full extension. I'm afraid I ruined a perfectly good slide motor

I'm looking for answers to the following:
- Is there a brake to release on my slide motor or can I just put the crank on the shaft with the pin and start cranking?
- Could I have over torqued something when I experimented with cranking the slide out a bit past where the motor stopped normally?
- Is it possible to open up the slide motor/gear box to inspect the internals?
- Can internal parts be replaced or is the motor/gear box throw away if damaged?
- If I remove the motor, will I be able to push the slide back in?

Thanks for any help I can get out there. This link below is of a newer x213 but this is basically what my slide motor looks like.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...lide-7264.html
pitchlynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 11:55 AM   #2

I pulled the slide motor off last night and opened it up. Everything looked good and all the parts turn smooth by hand. Since it is 10 years old, assuming never replaced, I lubed the gears with the grease that had fallen off to the sides leaving the gears looking somewhat dry.

I'm also thinking about lubing the slide mechanisms as I've read numerous accounts of people doing this even though it is not required. One person even has to lube their large slide routinely or starts getting stuck. I'm not sure what is ok to lube it with or where to put the lube (i.e. in the bearings, on the track, in the gears).

I'm also wondering if the slide could be out of alignment but I don't see much in the way of alignment looking at the mechanism other than getting the left and right tracks at the same point of travel which I noticed will be necessary since I removed the motor and pushed the slide back in until I can bet back to work on it. The slide never looked out of alignment before so I doubt this was an issue.

When the slide gets stuck it definitely sounds like the load on the motor increases greatly flexing the motor mount and dimming the lights so I don't think it is a weak motor but more resistance/binding in the slide itself. Any ideas on what to look for in the slide mechanism that could cause resistance or binding?
Old 10-19-2017, 10:19 PM   #3

I'm talking myself through on this one, haha. In case someone has a problem like this I put it all back together tonight and shot some silicone spray into the bearings on the gears at the end of the two drive shafts on either side of the motor and on the plastic wheels that the slide runs on. Actually I forgot to get the outboard wheels. Anyway it runs without getting stuck, sounds better, and sounds a little faster. Works like I expect it too now, wahoo!

And by the way it was super easy to get the motor in and out incase one ever needs to be replaced. I was a little concerned about aligning the two tracks. I simply pulled/jerked the slide out all the way as far as it would go and bolted up the drive shafts.
Old 11-22-2017, 05:50 AM   #4

Thanks, good to know. Mine is almost 6 years old now and is still running fine with no issues.