Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-04-2019, 05:18 AM   #1

2010 213EXP hitch - spring bar length

We just bought a new to us 2010 213EXP and on tow home I was surprised how poorly it towed.. It came with no hitch setup from dealer but prior to trip home installed a WD setup. Round bar, curt hand me down from my father. . The frame brackets land in line with LP tanks so had to remove plastic over and use front jack to flip brackets up by hand as you can’t use the lever pipe. I got ok tension on them that way but not a long term solution. The trailer set up is front wall, same gap , LP, tanks and then battery and jack. Brackets to mount all that appear to be factory . It acts as if the bars must be longer but I thought they are all same length. I have ordered a friction control and I expect that will help.
What are other 213 folks doing for WD setups? I have been towing things for entire life and currently have a Nissan Titan so experienced enough to know it should tow better. Thanks in advance, I recently found this site and lea4ned a lot from the population here.
mnealuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 06:40 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnealuf View Post
We just bought a new to us 2010 213EXP and on tow home I was surprised how poorly it towed.. It came with no hitch setup from dealer but prior to trip home installed a WD setup. Round bar, curt hand me down from my father. . The frame brackets land in line with LP tanks so had to remove plastic over and use front jack to flip brackets up by hand as you can’t use the lever pipe. I got ok tension on them that way but not a long term solution. The trailer set up is front wall, same gap , LP, tanks and then battery and jack. Brackets to mount all that appear to be factory . It acts as if the bars must be longer but I thought they are all same length. I have ordered a friction control and I expect that will help.
What are other 213 folks doing for WD setups? I have been towing things for entire life and currently have a Nissan Titan so experienced enough to know it should tow better. Thanks in advance, I recently found this site and lea4ned a lot from the population here.
Hmmm...my X213 is still in hibernation..haven’t had a chance yet this year to go camping. The dealer set up the WDH system on my TT and truck and it tows perfectly. I’ll will have to see what kind of WDH that I Have and try to take a pic.
Old 06-04-2019, 06:48 AM   #3

What are the bars rated for?

Also, the brackets should be adjustable, in other words you should be able to move them. The only thing that really holds them on is a square headed bolt on the inside of the frame.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 07:09 AM   #4

There was a lot of post in the past regarding this issue, so it might be worth sometime doing a search. One solution I recall some people doing was switching the placement of the propane tanks and battery.

Another thing to remember, your HTT was empty, and with that rear bunk slide, you may have been tongue light. A visit to a CAT scale would be worth your time, especially after loading up.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 07:58 AM   #5

Did you measure your fender heights when you setup your WDH?

Maybe you're not putting enough weight back on the front axle?

WDH are finicky things, you need to dial them in just right. If you don't have sway control, that is also an issue.

What do you mean, it towed poorly? Sway, bouncing, floaty front axle??
Old 06-04-2019, 08:32 PM   #6

I know the brackets move, the TT had no brackets when I bought it and I brought my set along. The have to reside whe the chains are vertical when everything is aligned bu that places them in terrible spot with the LP tanks. I will take a photo and post it., I didn’t go to scale and TT was unloaded but honestly with the water tank centered etc how much tongue weight could I reasonably add. I expect the gear will go in every compartment so it won’t be all forward the axles. It just felt unsteady, even slight cross winds moved it side to side and generally swayed very easily. It really did feel like it lacked touge weight but it’s a TT how can I adjust that very much. I have probably a couple hundred thousand miles working for a armature race team towing enclosed trailers and driving motor homes over the contry when younger since I was 16 so fairly experienced and not just being newbie to towing. When I say it tows poorly I am fairly sure it does. TT tires are way old ( 2008date code) and replacing them before maiden trip maybe the sidewalks are weak and the new rubber will help.
mnealuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 07:00 AM   #7

Cargo trailers and travel trailers are different animals, but if it didn't feel right, it's not. It sounds to me like you do not have enough weight on the front wheels of your truck.

I suggest you do what Quantum said, measure the stock front fender height of the truck before you add the trailer. Measure again after putting the trailer on the hitch, but BEFORE setting up the WDH. Adjust the hitch so that when the WDH is setup the front fender is back to stock height. This is not exact but it will be very close. Your front fender should be within 1/2 inch of stock or you will lose steering control.

As far as adjustment, there is an adjustment pin and washers between the hitch head and the shank to adjust the angle of the ball. The farther out it is, the more weight get's put on the front. One extra washer can make a world of difference. Also you can make additional adjustments by selecting a different chain link.

DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote