Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-07-2014, 09:52 PM   #1

2012 31DSLB White Hawk Black Tank

Hello all!

We just purchased a 2012 31DSLB White Hawk this year and have had it out about four times so far. We absolutely love it compared to our prior TT, but one thing bugs us about it. The black tank fills up really fast. Does anyone know what size tank is in these? I have seen that it should have two 15 gallon grey tanks and one 30 gallon black. We purchased a 35 gallon portable tank and when I drain the black it seems easier to maneuver than when I do both of the greys. It just doesn't seem right to fill a 30 gallon tank in a day with a family of four, and not always using the TT bathroom!

Thanks for any input or insight!

Chris
Lothus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:22 PM   #2

If you are using the tank monitor to tell you when it is full, I would suspect the sensor is giving you a false reading. Black tank sensors are notoriously inaccurate. As a test, check your status after you've dumped. Mine routinely shows as 3/4 or full after dumping despite my best efforts to back flush and other efforts to clean sensors.
Mike
yellowdog00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:09 PM   #3

I have that exact model and its also a 2012.
Ours has 2 grey tanks that are both 23 gallons for a total of 46. (they do not equalize so our bathroom grey will be full while our kitchen tank is virtually empty...kind of annoying)
We have 1 single black tank which holds 31 gallons and find it humorous that our 19' hideout had a bigger black tank then this 1...anyhow...
My black tank almost always reads full or 2/3 full. Now our problem is that we are now on a seasonal site and the trailer is rarely moved anymore so its easy to see how that happens. However if you are moving it every time you camp then it shouldn't be an issue. Our 19' was always bang on but we would drive and then dump every time we used it and would then flush it out after draining. Never once had an issue with the sensors even after years.
You should be able to gauge how long you can go after a few trips without the use of the sensors....I have learned that our small family of 3 can go a bare minimum of 6 days before needing it dumped. (that's still using 5 gallons a day)
Now most people I know do not flush every time they use it or fill it up with water. For instance a lot of times if just peeing we will not flush and let that fill the bowl some....now if someone has to take a number 2 then there's usually enough pee in the bowl that no water or little gets used which in turn fills the tank far more slowly. Now if we filled the bowl half way with water and flushed every single time we used it then I could easily see only a couple days use.
Obviously I'm not sure how you use yours but I'm guessing its getting filled and flushed more often then it should.
Hope that helps.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:18 PM   #4

I also thought that the sensors were messed up and checked the actual level by shining a flashlight into the toilet after shutting off the water and the level was at the point of coming up into the toilet. I am thinking of filling up my 6 gallon jug and pouring it into the tank until full to see what the actual capacity is. We have had a policy the past couple of trips that we utilize the parks restrooms and only use the TT toilet at night and we still filled it in two days! I find it hard to believe that a 30 gallon tank can be filled that fast. Just need to find the time and place I can perform this experiment!
Old 07-09-2014, 11:52 PM   #5

I wonder if you have a blockage of some sort and only the liquids are trickling through?
2 days of using it only for nights just doesn't add up.
That means in an approx 8 to 10 hour period you are using over 15 gallons of water and much of that time I assume is spent sleeping.
I just can't see that happening....something's not right.

Question...Do you fill the black tank full before draining or just use it till you are done and then just drain it?
Also do you hook up to sites that have sewer connections ever and if so do you leave the valves to your tanks open?
Old 07-13-2014, 09:41 PM   #6

Every time we have dumped it showed as full, we have a 35 gallon portable waste tank now so we don't have to pull chocks to dump every day! I have checked the toilet when it shows full and it certainly looks full! We have yet to have a campsite that includes sewer hook-up, but next time we do I am going to use our 6 gallon water jugs to manually fill the tank and see exactly what the capacity is! You are right that we shouldn't be filling a 30 gallon tank that fast! The next trip we take, which is this weekend and it is a long one, I am filling the black tank about a third full and putting a cleaner packet in and letting it slosh around and then dump it once we get there. Hopefully that will clean everything out nicely if there is a problem in that respect.
Old 07-13-2014, 11:12 PM   #7

Something is not right. Four of us using out TT restroom. 32 gal black tank lasts us 5 nights easily...probably more but we have ever only gone 5 nights without hookups.

Grey on the hand is dumped every other day minimum using out tote.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote