Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-14-2012, 02:23 PM   #1

2012 Jay Flight Swift SLX 184BH: Canadian all-in price

Hi all,

First post! I'm from Alberta, Canada, and thanks to some of the posts on this forum, my wife and I decided we want to buy a 2012 Jay Flight Swift SLX 184BH and are going to do so this Saturday!

My question to all of you is what did you Canadians end up paying all-in after all the incidentals?

The dealer prices in Alberta seem to be accross the board $12990. I've seen a couple of dealers in Ontario advertising for as low as $11250 on the internet. I don't want to mention how low the U.S. prices are.

A few weeks ago when we were just kicking tires I discussed prices of the 184BH and the salesmen told me that there were additional charges on top of the $12990 for cables/hoses/etc. And the real price all-in was quite a bit higher!

So what did you Canadian owners pay ALL-IN for your SLX 184BH with GST and what options did your price include? What should I really be expecting to pay!?

In terms of additional options, we are going to get front stabilizer jacks based on recommendations in this forum.

Thanks for your help!
mildolfam

P.S. We have a 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe V6 with a #3500 towing capacity. It has a factory installed tranny cooler, after market receiver with brake controller. I will be purchasing a weight distribution and sway control hitch. I know we're maxing out on weight, but based on posts such as http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthread.php?t=2857 I think we can make it work by packing light and driving slow.
mildolfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 03:02 PM   #2
Site Team

Welcome to the forum, mildolfam. Not really sure what the "additional charges" are. Many dealers will throw in a RV starter kit with sewer and fresh water hose and a few other goodies. Either way we are not talking a lot of money for these items. I would ask for an itemized price list so you make sure just what these additional charges are for.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 03:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildolfam View Post
Hi all,

First post! I'm from Alberta, Canada, and thanks to some of the posts on this forum, my wife and I decided we want to buy a 2012 Jay Flight Swift SLX 184BH and are going to do so this Saturday!

My question to all of you is what did you Canadians end up paying all-in after all the incidentals?

The dealer prices in Alberta seem to be accross the board $12990. I've seen a couple of dealers in Ontario advertising for as low as $11250 on the internet. I don't want to mention how low the U.S. prices are.

A few weeks ago when we were just kicking tires I discussed prices of the 184BH and the salesmen told me that there were additional charges on top of the $12990 for cables/hoses/etc. And the real price all-in was quite a bit higher!

So what did you Canadian owners pay ALL-IN for your SLX 184BH with GST and what options did your price include? What should I really be expecting to pay!?

In terms of additional options, we are going to get front stabilizer jacks based on recommendations in this forum.

Thanks for your help!
mildolfam

P.S. We have a 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe V6 with a #3500 towing capacity. It has a factory installed tranny cooler, after market receiver with brake controller. I will be purchasing a weight distribution and sway control hitch. I know we're maxing out on weight, but based on posts such as http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthread.php?t=2857 I think we can make it work by packing light and driving slow.

Not sure where in Alberta you are but in Edmonton there are only 2 Jayco dealers (Western/Allstar and RV city). We bought our Jayco from allstar, found that their pricing was a couple thousand less than RV city before we even started negotiating. The dealers here do not like to come off their sticker price, we negotiated about $1000 of upgrades into their base unit on the lot and told them we would not pay the $499.00 PDI fee, they took that amount of the sticker price and then added it back in. This is the fee that they do not tell you about until you are singing the final papers, it includes propane, warranty registration, PDI inspection and a bunch of other stuff that they throw into the list to try and justify the $. Try and get them to throw in extras like RV mat, bal wheel chocks, etc if they will not come down on the price. Good luck. I have a good sales guy at all star if you want to pm me.

Jayco 228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:47 PM   #4

Welcome to the JOF Mildolfam! Hopefully all will work out for you. Have you contacted RvDirect for a quote? It may help you negotiate a lower price for your tt. Happy shopping and good luck
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayco 228 View Post
Not sure where in Alberta you are but in Edmonton there are only 2 Jayco dealers (Western/Allstar and RV city). We bought our Jayco from allstar, found that their pricing was a couple thousand less than RV city before we even started negotiating. The dealers here do not like to come off their sticker price, we negotiated about $1000 of upgrades into their base unit on the lot and told them we would not pay the $499.00 PDI fee, they took that amount of the sticker price and then added it back in. This is the fee that they do not tell you about until you are singing the final papers, it includes propane, warranty registration, PDI inspection and a bunch of other stuff that they throw into the list to try and justify the $. Try and get them to throw in extras like RV mat, bal wheel chocks, etc if they will not come down on the price. Good luck. I have a good sales guy at all star if you want to pm me.
I'm from closer to Calgary, but if your guy can beat these prices by a fair bit, I might be making my maiden voyage a trip back from Edmonton
Here are a couple of rough over-the-phone quotes I got for the 2012 Jayco Jay Flight Swift SLX 184BH:

Code:
		Dealer1	Dealer2	
Base Price	12990	12990	
pdi		496	496	
tire tax	12	12	
propane tank	0	0	inc. In pdi
hoses/prk adptr	0	0	
battery		180	219	
admin fee	0	299	will inc. Battery
frnt stb. Jacks	100	100	
Sub Total	13778	13897	
GST		688.9	694.85	
TOTAL		14466.9	14591.85
Old 06-15-2012, 08:20 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthi View Post
Welcome to the JOF Mildolfam! Hopefully all will work out for you. Have you contacted RvDirect for a quote? It may help you negotiate a lower price for your tt. Happy shopping and good luck
Thanks for replying, it seems RvDirect is U.S. only. Wish there was something similar in Canada.

It would be nice to hear from 184BH purchasers as to their purchasing experience.
Old 06-17-2012, 08:59 PM   #7

Well just to follow up, we were going in and about to pull the trigger on purchasing a new 2012 184BH and a series of events transpired to make this probably my last entry on this forum (at least for some time)... does any one out there like the "Mulberry" colour scheme? If so, I apologize in advance for what I'm about to say will probably be offensive, but take heart that it is only "one man's (and woman's) opinion" ... the only 184bh they had was the "Mulberry" colour scheme or what my wife liked to call the "sh*t-brown" colour scheme! The colour isn't really that bad, but we knew with a solid colour like that it would just look terrible after a few inevitable spills from our kids, so we really wanted something else and asked the dealer to track one down and give us the best price they had and left with the intention of going to the another dealer who sells Jayco's to see if we could see one. Long story short, on our way we stopped at another RV dealer just to see what tts they had for our size of vehicle, they had nothing, but by then i had to use their bathroom. On my way out I saw a tent trailer with air conditioning which is very rare around where I live (air cond. is on our MUST-HAVE list). Well now we're the proud owners of an older Coleman tent-trailer. I think this is good in the sense its more appropriate weight for our tv, less expensive, and will hold its value better than a new trailer if we change our mine. Thanks for all you posters who helped give us an informed opinion on Jayco's products.

Happy camping!
Old 06-18-2012, 02:20 AM   #8

Don't know if you will see this but I think you made a wise decision. There is lots of room for the kids and they can help set up the trailer. We had a large 9x12 canvas tent when our kids were babies. Some of the best camping was during those days. There will come a time when you will have a tv that can haul a bigger trailer. Good luck and congratulations.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:45 PM   #9

Thanks Murphie, very nice of you to say.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:11 PM   #10

If I can make a suggestion - especially if you intend on dry camping - forego the dealer installed battery. Go to to interstate batteries and get yourself a really top-line RV battery (or two). IMO the dealer will put in a sub-par battery and charge you a premium for it.

2010 JayFeather 23K
05 GMC Envoy XL
McMonk is offline   Reply With Quote