Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-08-2020, 04:11 PM   #1

2014 154BH newbie questions

Hi,

I just purchased a used 2014 154BH baja from the local dealer and have some questions.

The dealer resealed everywhere except the roof saying the roof looks good. When I checked it, I did not see any crack or bubble but looks bit old. I took the picture of it. Can you share your thought on the roof sealing please?

Another question is about battery. I parked mine at my driveway without plugging it. They told me TT needs to be plugged in all the time. I live in northwest where the weather is mild so I think I can keep batteries with TT. I thought plugging it for 3-4days a month may do the trick.
should I keep plugging it or do just 3-4days a month?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
20201208_135949.jpg  
abacusman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 10:55 AM   #2

There are some small drains that can kill a battery in days or weeks if they aren't either left on a charge or disconnected completely from these drains like the CO/LP detector.

I pull mine and take it into the house for the winter and leave it on a battery tender. Alternatively, you could get a battery tender, disconnect the battery cables from the RV and leave it on plugged in all winter. Third would be to just leave the RV plugged in all the time and let the onboard converter keep it charged. In any case, check the water level monthly or so and top up with distilled water only.

Lots of posts about battery care in much more detail available here in the search line or via Google/youtube rv battery care.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 01:20 PM   #3

thank you for the tip! I have decided to keep plugging it during the storage. bit overwhelmed with the learning curve. it is a good thing that I have 3 months to study/ be prepared.
Old 12-09-2020, 10:44 PM   #4

I store my 154BH in an RV storage lot, so part of my routine when I drop it off at the end of each adventure is to remove the battery and place it on a Battery Tender in my garage, and reinstall when I go to take it out. It's kind of a hassle, but I've gotten pretty good at the procedure. I'm confident keeping it on a trickle charger at home, which allows me to monitor the water level in the cells as well, is why after several years the battery is still going strong, even though it's the original budget battery.
AnacortesArmyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 12:17 AM   #5

Thank you for the tip on battery! what do you think about the the sealing in the picture? does it look OK?
Old 12-10-2020, 01:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by abacusman View Post
Thank you for the tip on battery! what do you think about the the sealing in the picture? does it look OK?
From what I can see in the picture your roof looks similar to mine, and I bought my 2019 new in 2018. I'd say that if there's no sign of water intrusion inside the trailer you're probably okay for at least another season, but water leakage is something you will want to always be on the look out for.
AnacortesArmyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 10:20 AM   #7

Thank you so much anacortesarmyguy! I found no water intrusion anywhere which is very good sign!.