Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-21-2014, 07:13 AM   #1

2014 Jayco White Hawk 28DSBH Slide Topper

I have heard various stories about the White Hawk accepting slide toppers. My dealer asked me if I was interested in having one installed before picking up the unit. However, I swear I saw someone say Jayco told them that there was not adequate bracing in the wall to support this?

Anyone with this unit have a slide topper that was Jayco dealer installed?

Or has anyone been told they cannot be installed?

Thanks
DavidNPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 07:24 AM   #2

I also have a 2014 Jayco White Hawk 28DSBH and the dealer would not install a slide topper because Jayco didn't install a header in the top of the slide. I called Jayco, gave them my VIN and they confirmed what the dealer told me.
cppeekskill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:10 AM   #3

I have the JayFlight 28BHBE (almost exact same floorplan). I asked the dealer to get one and they installed it on mine. Not sure if the JF has a different construction than the WH?
1200/12,000 Equal-I-Zer Hitch
Salsa03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:10 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cppeekskill View Post
I also have a 2014 Jayco White Hawk 28DSBH and the dealer would not install a slide topper because Jayco didn't install a header in the top of the slide. I called Jayco, gave them my VIN and they confirmed what the dealer told me.
We were considering a 28DSBH a year and a half ago and decided in favor of an Eagle with about the same floorplan.

When I read cppeekskill's comment, it pretty much confirmed my feeling that Jayco really missed the boat when it came to the White Hawk line. The door side awnings on many White Hawk floorplans are undersized. If you have a 30' camper, you should have something larger than a 15' awning. And now it appears you can't put a slideout awning on it?

I'm now feeling even more justified in our decision to get the Eagle, 18' door side awning and an added-on slideout awning.

2016 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5 FBDS w/ 15,000 BTU AC, 50 amp service, upgraded counter top, thermal pane windows, elec. stab jacks, outside grill, backup camera and MORryde pin box.
2011 GMC 2500HD DURAMAX/ ALLISON
Tail_gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 12:12 PM   #5

We looked at the Eagle line and really liked it. It seemed like a premium product, but could not get anywhere near the amount we wanted to spend. We were able to find a 2014 White Hawk that combined with the end of year sales fit within our budget.

Seems odd to me that they advertise a 7 inch laminated beam across the slide, but then turn around and say there is nothing in there to hold an awning. Seems to me that if that beam exists in there, it should certainly be able to hold and awning if it holds up the whole roof when the slide is open?
Old 08-21-2014, 02:53 PM   #6

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the issue is with the construction of the slide itself, not the framed slide opening of the trailer. I assume the top edge of the slide's frame doesn't have suitable fastening points for mounting the retracting mechanism.
Tekonsha Voyager BC
SawBuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 03:02 PM   #7

That is a valid point and would make much more sense. Since they advertise how strong the area above the slide is, I could not understand how they could insinuate that the wall did not have adequate strength for a slide topper. It was suggested to me there was nothing in the wall above the slide to mount it to, but this does seem much more reasonable.
Old 05-28-2019, 05:17 AM   #8

Hey guys, I'd like to re-vusit this topic for an up date. I have the '15 27dsbh and desire a topper. Has anyone learned anything new?

It was my thought that with larger tilt out windows on the unit didn't allow sufficient surface space for the brackets.

Regardless, please share anything new.

Happy camping.
-Wildturkey