Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-08-2015, 09:11 AM   #21

I ordered my TT new. Several reasons. The first is that getting what you want in a floor plan is almost impossible when buying used. That goes for options too!

If you find what you want in a used RV, great! But, be prepared to make lots of compromises. And these compromises lead to wanting to upgrade later. Which, for some, is very doable and not a financial constraint. For others, it is just too costly.

Third, if you have not been in the newer models, it is amazing the the upgrades\changes that have been made in just the last 5 years. Even looking at what is new for 2016 over 2015 is considerable.

Having a new RV warranty can be a saving grace for those less mechanically or electrically inclined. I suggest used units for those with more RV experience and understand more about common problems and how to fix them oneself.

Not all sellers are honest. You may just be buying someone else's water leak and structural damage. I strongly suggest taking a used RV down for a leak test before committing, at a minimum. If the seller will not agree to this, move on. Electrical gremlins can also be challenging to sort out, even for a dealer, and since they can be intermittent, you may not know until after your first outing.

Well, you get the idea. Lots to consider and it all depends on your needs and capabilities. Experience makes a big difference and I would not suggest a used unit except to a seasoned owner who can do ones own work.
King Bed with Java Interior, (2X) Yamaha EF2000isV2
2012 Ram 4500, 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, MegaCab = "Hagrid"
8'x12' BMCM Stake Bed, Cabin Chassis, 2WD
360 degree Virtual Tour
Fairenatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 10:40 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizzle View Post
I have a 2016 White Hawk DSBH. I towed it since I got it in July with a Ram 1500. It was miserable. It didn't feel safe, I almost died a couple times from other drivers and the mileage was 5-6. Everyone trying to justify towing a large trailer with a half ton is trying to get people killed. This trailer weighs 6500 lbs dry. Once you use it you're pushing 8000 lbs. I bought a Ram 2500 with the Cummins last month and I've never been happier. It's a night and day difference. I would NEVER tow a 8000+ camper with a light duty truck/suv ever again. For my own families safety and other people on the roads safety.
x2 ~ it's all in the TV! As the DW, with the original TV (GMC 1500) I white-knuckled as DH towed up/down narrow twisty highways (e.g., California Hwy-17 between San Jose and Santa Cruz) or tackled steep inclines (e.g., Grape Vine near LA) that sports cars regularly use for track practice. Absolutely no fears with the new TV ... well worth the purchase getting all the additional tow features and functionality like the exhaust brakes.

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 07:39 PM   #23

Check out this link. I am also a DW that was white knuckled as DH towed our 6000# GTWR trailer with our Expedition. It has a tow rating of 8950# . A few trips like that and we bought an Excursion. We maxed out our payload (which was in the 1500 neighborhood ) and we were over our rawr.

Www.Rvtowcheck.com

Previous TV: 2004 Ford Exedition w/ heavy duty tow package[/COLOR]
Country_Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 10:46 AM   #24

Probably a bit late. I pulled a 2015 whitehawk 28dsbh which weighed 6100lbs dry. Tow vehicle was a Chevy 1500 with max trailer package. Dry It pulled ok and loaded I hated it. The truck constantly hunted for gears and it was too much weight for my comfort. It did pull it and would work, but I wouldnlt do it for long trips. I traded it for a 2010 Chevy 2500hd 6.0l. I pulled it last year out east through the mountains on 6percent grades and it does great. I can load the trailer with fresh water, all the gear we need and run 60/65down the highway and not even know the trailer is back there.
crtc_01 is offline   Reply With Quote