Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-04-2018, 06:25 PM   #1

2016 Whitehawk roof edge small hole.

I was up replacing my skylights this weekend and notice the the back left edge of the roof material close to the black trim on the vertical edge had some silicone that was peeling so I lightly scraped it off to find 2 small maybe 1/2” inch holes about a cm or two from the side of the trailer and just a hair up from the back of the trailer where the trim strip is the covers the edge of the roof material. It looks like the factory tried to cover up a mistake such as cutting the material to short. Of course I didn’t take a picture. Should I use Dicor no sag lap sealant to seal it up since it’s on the vertical portion of the roof? Or does anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks in advance.
JSCinci2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 11:08 AM   #2

You could use the Dicor non-sag or EternaBond tape. The stuff is a little pricey but we'll worth it.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 11:39 AM   #3

I think I’m going to give the Dicor a shot because it so close to the edge and corner that I don’t thing I would be able to seal it up properly. I think I need to be able to push the sealant up into the corner. I picked up some non sag so I’ll let everyone know how it goes. It’s a high of 48 with no sun today and a high of 56 and sunny tomorrow so I’m going to do it tonight and hopefully the sun will help with thme curing tomorrow because the temp drops again to high 30s from Thursday on. I hate CINCINNATI.
Old 03-05-2018, 11:41 AM   #4

ISO Quad might also work nicely too. You can find this at most hardware stores.

From your description I doubt eternabond would seal the area nicely. A picture would help.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 04:22 PM   #5

Here she is I added a few photos of the before and after. I shot a little Dicor no sag lap sealant under the the flap of roof to get it to lay flatter and then when back over top abs smoothed it out as best as I could. I think it will be ok I’ll keep an eye on it.
Attached Thumbnails
A2B08F8F-2BFD-40D1-BD26-87E45F5CB9F7.jpg   F26460A1-A102-4DBA-AEB4-B8283E5F9FB6.jpg  
Old 03-05-2018, 04:59 PM   #6

Yes Eternabond will seal that. Put Eternabond on it and seal the Eternabond edges with Eternabond Caulk Sealant. I am going around the entire perimeter of the roof/wall seams. I did the front cap seam with 6". You can use 4" tape. It is well worth the investment. That Dicor crud will not keep it tight.
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 05:12 PM   #7

I’ll let the Dicor cure all the way and see what it looks like if it doesn’t hold up I’ll go the eternabond route. Only time will tell at this point. Neither RV dealer near me had eterna bond in stock and the rain is coming in Wednesday so I had to seal it one way or another lol.
Old 03-05-2018, 05:13 PM   #8

Yea, that situation was made for EternaBond. Good thing is that EternaBond goes nicely over Dicor (anything except silicone). You can purchase a small piece on Amazon that's not so expensive.
https://www.amazon.com/White-Eternab...d+rv+roof+tape

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 05:16 PM   #9

I’m thinking I’ll go over the edges and skylights/ vents in a few months and seal everything up really good It looks really clean too. I want to get up there and give the roof a good cleaning before hand. I’ll give the Dicor till April to cure I think it will hold up until then.
Old 03-05-2018, 06:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSCinci2005 View Post
I’ll let the Dicor cure all the way and see what it looks like if it doesn’t hold up I’ll go the eternabond route. Only time will tell at this point. Neither RV dealer near me had eterna bond in stock and the rain is coming in Wednesday so I had to seal it one way or another lol.
Order everything you need on Amazon or the Eternabond website. I would not fool with the dealer or retailers like Camping World. Amazon has everything at competitive prices. With Dicor lap it's not about what it will look like. It will deteriorate, and you will be back to the problem within 6 months to a year. Let it cure and then cover it with Eternabond. You can buy the Eternabond cleaner and primer to ensure a tight seal.
Old 03-05-2018, 06:05 PM   #11

I was thinking after the Dicor cured I could scrape it a little smoother and the eternabond it so I can get a nice looking finished product and give the eternabond a more uniform surface to adhere too. Does that make any sense?
Old 03-05-2018, 06:06 PM   #12

Quote:
I’m thinking I’ll go over the edges and skylights/ vents in a few months and seal everything up really good It looks really clean too. I want to get up there and give the roof a good cleaning before hand. I’ll give the Dicor till April to cure I think it will hold up until then.
Yes, you should be okay until April. I am doing the same thing. I am upgrading the skylight and bath fan. I will seal them with Eternabond Caulk and then cover the caulk with Eternabond tape. I will be doing ours this month and next. Let me know if you want to know how it goes. I already did the wall/roof seams on the slideout. It is great stuff - Lots of peace of mind.
Old 03-05-2018, 06:10 PM   #13

Quote:
I was thinking after the Dicor cured I could scrape it a little smoother and the eternabond it so I can get a nice looking finished product and give the eternabond a more uniform surface to adhere too. Does that make any sense?
You can try, but the Dicor is not the most flexible stuff once it cures. I am going to remove it, clean the surface area, reseal with Eternabond caulk, tape over the caulk, and then seal the tape edges with the Eternabond caulk. It is much more durable than Dicor lap. The tape alone would likely seal things, but I am going to do all of it - This is nothing to cut corners with.
Old 03-05-2018, 06:12 PM   #14

Quote:
I was up replacing my skylights this weekend and notice the the back left edge of the roof material close to the black trim on the vertical edge had some silicone that was peeling so I lightly scraped it off to find 2 small maybe 1/2” inch holes about a cm or two from the side of the trailer and just a hair up from the back of the trailer where the trim strip is the covers the edge of the roof material. It looks like the factory tried to cover up a mistake such as cutting the material to short. Of course I didn’t take a picture. Should I use Dicor no sag lap sealant to seal it up since it’s on the vertical portion of the roof? Or does anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Did you upgrade to a better skylight? If so, what product did you buy? I understand that there are some more expensive products that are thicker, less prone to cracking, and more sleek in appearance.
Old 03-05-2018, 06:12 PM   #15

I just did both of my sky lights and ran out of time to replace my vent fan. I used the icon direct skylights in a smoke color and couldn’t be happier they weren’t to bad to replace either, the icon skylights are a million times stronger than the factory ones.
Old 03-05-2018, 06:14 PM   #16

I was able to do both of my skylights for less than $200 and they were both available on amazon prime from icon direct. They are very good quality and extremely strong. They didn’t flex like the factory ones.
Old 03-05-2018, 06:17 PM   #17

Sounds nice. I will look into them. Keep us posted on your roof repair. I will update my progress on this, too.