Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-01-2019, 06:32 AM   #1

2017 Hummingbird 16FD Awning Lights

Good morning all. First time posting on the forum, picked on my "new to me" 2017 Hummingbird 16FD. This is my first light RV but I have been owning RVs for the past 9 years. Everything on the unit is in great shape with everything working as it should. But I am confused with the awning lights...

The lights turn on just fine from the switch on the wall. I can tell the strip is an RGB strip as I can see the red, green, and blue light for each element, which produces a white light. I found an RGB remote in a cabinet next to the awning light switch. I assume this is for the awning lights (dealer doesn't know). However, either I don't know where to point the remote or it actually isn't for the awning. (I have had an RGB strip before, with the same style remote, and the remote had to be pointed directly at the control box in order to receive the signal).

Any one have any suggestions? Is the light strip only capable of putting out white? I find it too much of a coincidence that the strip obviously looks like an RGB strip, and I found an RGB remote, but dealer claims its not an RGB strip and the previous owner must have forgot the remote inside and it goes to something else...
eli_harper13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 06:56 AM   #2

Welcome from Wisconsin. The sensor for the awning lights on our 'bird' is at the top of the right awning arm when looking at the unit. It might have been gotten pushed into the hollow part of the arm up there not allowing the remote signal to reach the sensor. Our remote will change the color and strobe/fade feature. I'll try to get a pic of our remote later and post it.
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 07:07 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscampsin View Post
Welcome from Wisconsin. The sensor for the awning lights on our 'bird' is at the top of the right awning arm when looking at the unit. It might have been gotten pushed into the hollow part of the arm up there not allowing the remote signal to reach the sensor. Our remote will change the color and strobe/fade feature. I'll try to get a pic of our remote later and post it.
Thanks for the info! Are your lights on the awning roller tube, or the wall? Mine are mounted on the wall, just below the awning when it is rolled up.
eli_harper13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 10:02 AM   #4

Mine are on the wall under the awning too. Here's a pic of my remote.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1352.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	51193
Old 07-01-2019, 10:24 AM   #5

Quote:
Mine are on the wall under the awning too. Here's a pic of my remote.

Attachment 51193
Yeah that's exactly what the remote I found looks like! I will try on the right side, at the top of the arm like you suggest! Thank you!
Old 07-01-2019, 11:58 AM   #6

Forgot to mention the inside awning light master switch has to be on before the remote will work. That had me stumped first time I tried using the remote.
Old 07-02-2019, 04:54 AM   #7

Quote:
The sensor for the awning lights on our 'bird' is at the top of the right awning arm when looking at the unit.
I think my sensor was either removed or fell off. I investigated and just find some wires and a plug that must go into the control box for the lights. Wonder if there is a way to get a new one?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4340.jpg  
Old 07-02-2019, 06:11 AM   #8

Know that's how the sensor looks. replace the battery on your remote.
hummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 06:17 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummy View Post
Know that's how the sensor looks. replace the battery on your remote.
Remote has a new battery in it. Shouldn't there be a little box with a sensor coming off of it. This does not look like a sensor, but a plug
Old 07-02-2019, 06:30 AM   #10

I was expecting to find something like this:
Attached Thumbnails
sku_182136_1.jpg  
Old 07-02-2019, 07:06 AM   #11

I went out and looked at mine. You could be right. End of the plug looks like there's a round dark plastic or glass bulb? Your pics don't show it. It could be a replacement sensor just plugs in ?
hummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 07:09 AM   #12

All mine has is the thing that looks like a plug. Never seen that white thing in your post above.
Old 07-02-2019, 08:40 AM   #13

Quote:
All mine has is the thing that looks like a plug. Never seen that white thing in your post above.
The dealer said they changed the battery but who knows. I will try a new battery and if that doesn't work just accept that the lights will always be white lol
Old 07-02-2019, 06:55 PM   #14

Quote:
So after a good investigation, either the control for the lights are bad or the remote is bad. I did find the control for the RGB. However, after a new battery in the remote, I still cannot get it to change the lights. They just stayed white. I even tried unplugging them and plugging them back in, this has resulted in them randomly changing colors and sometimes flickering. My next plan is to see if I can find a new controller.
Old 07-04-2019, 05:44 PM   #15

I have the same problem and looked at the wiring to the LED rope outside. There is a flat connector labeled LED controller with nothing attached to it. I assume that the module that changes colors from the little remote has been forgotten at the factory, or eliminated for cost savings?
Paulo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 06:31 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo19 View Post
I have the same problem and looked at the wiring to the LED rope outside. There is a flat connector labeled LED controller with nothing attached to it. I assume that the module that changes colors from the little remote has been forgotten at the factory, or eliminated for cost savings?
Mine also has the "flat connecter" labeled LED controller but there is a 12v connection to it, a four pin plug that runs from it to the lights, then a wire with a little sensor for the remote hanging from it. I assume the controller on mine must be bad. I tested the remote by watching the inferred light through a camera and it does give off signal when I push a button. I plan to try and find a new RGB controller and wire it in.
Old 07-05-2019, 11:53 AM   #17

Fixed

The sensor was tucked down inside the awning arm. Fished it out and remote now controls light colors. Thanks.
Paulo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 02:33 PM   #18

Glad to hear you found the sensor Pablo19.
Old 07-21-2019, 10:46 AM   #19

right upper side is the sensor
arobinson6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 09:43 AM   #20

Hello I hate to reopen a thread, but I just got a new to me hummingbird, but it’s missing the remote for the awning lights. Does anyone know what brand these lights are or where I can find a replacement remote? Or any other options?
Jastulon is offline   Reply With Quote