Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-16-2018, 05:14 PM   #1

2017 Hummingbird 17RB emergency exit

The big window over the bed has a bizarre long aluminum handle and a sign that says it is an emergency exit only. If that's true, why does the window have a screen on it? Can it be opened for non-emergency ventilation?
doctorbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 06:00 PM   #2

We use the emergency exit window for ventilation all the time. The screen is there so it can be used as a window. While I haven't tried to open it far enough to use it as an escape, it doesn't look that difficult and the screen wouldn't really slow me down if I was bailing out.
Jim Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 06:18 PM   #3

You'll notice the red plastic handle has a notch in it. Straighten the arm out and then push the window open far enough for the notch to set down on the frame and it will keep the window open for ventilation. Ours was really stiff at first but after using it a few times it loosened up a bit and now opens easily.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 07:33 AM   #4

We treat our emergency window like a regular window and open it for ventilation all the time too.
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 09:47 AM   #5

Thanks. I bought my trailer used and I don't think the window has ever been opened. It's difficult to push it open and I didn't want to cause it to leak by forcing it.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:44 PM   #6

I removed the screen to try to figure out why the window was stuck. The plastic clips that hold it in fell out and I cannot figure out how the hell to get it to stay in again. Anybody else been through this?
Old 08-18-2019, 09:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorbob View Post
I removed the screen to try to figure out why the window was stuck. The plastic clips that hold it in fell out and I cannot figure out how the hell to get it to stay in again. Anybody else been through this?
I have the same problem.

Opened the screen and cannot get it back in the way it was.

Would really appreciate some advice.
Jayco Owner Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 07:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Thanks. I bought my trailer used and I don't think the window has ever been opened. It's difficult to push it open and I didn't want to cause it to leak by forcing it.
Our Hummingbird 17FD also has difficult to open "emergency exits" that we use as ventilation windows. I feel like I'm going to break it when I open it, but so far, so good. I'm sure a good kick, in case of an emergency, would remove the screen.
bleckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 03:27 PM   #9

The emergency exit is a joke. My wife and I could never use it. A regular sliding window would be so much better. For better air flow, I use a bungee cord and hook it to the window and gutter so it is wide open. If you get yours unstuck, try that.
Kozmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 02:13 PM   #10

We loved our emergency exit window in the Hummingbird because it was located right at the head end of the bed and in rainy, colder weather we could sleep with it open and never worry about getting water inside the trailer.

Our new trailer has tilt out windows for all of them and we really like it.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ome-41831.html
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 12:38 PM   #11

Quote:
I recently had to remount the window screen on the emergency window of my 2018 Hummingbird 17FD, Baja edition. The screen is attached to the window frame using 4 plastic screen clips (Jayco Part 0291951, 1 clip).

To remount the window screen, I did the following:
1. Raise the window blind so that you have access to the window frame.
2. On the top of the window frame, attach 2 screen clips - one on the left side and one on the right side. The wider slot in the screen clip needs to facing the inside of the trailer.
3. On the bottom of the window frame, attach 2 screen clips in the center. The wider slot needs to be facing the inside of the trailer.
4. Orient the screen with the red emergency pull knob at the lower left hand corner. The red knob faces inside the trailer.
5. Put the top edge of the window screen into the screen clips on the top of the window frame. Center the screen over the window frame.
6. With the bottom of the window screen near the screen clips on the bottom of the window frame, gently press the bottom center of the window screen upward and then into the screen clips on the bottom.
7. Slide the bottom screen clips apart, towards the left and right sides. The window screen is now mounted securely.
DickS65 is offline   Reply With Quote