Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-21-2020, 01:36 PM   #1

2018 jayflight 145RB. How to tow MOST safely

Hello. First time poster & Newby camper, so plz excuse if questions are ignorant.

We just bought 1st camper, 2018 Jayflight 145RB. (2500 lb dry, 3000 lb loaded, 250 lb tongue weight). We liked the idea of something small, simple, and cheap to learn with ($10k cash out the door, seems to be barely used).

Pulling with 2019 F150 with 5.0. Maybe not necessary, but I want the FastWay E2 weight distribution (+ sway control) device. Would yall agree with this decision? Pulls fine, but just a tiny bit more safety worth it, right?

Found the 4500 lb trunion version which would match my trailer closest, but its kinda hard to find. Much easier to find the 6000 lb version. 6000 lb ok for my setup?

Also, they make trunion version (square rods) and round rod versions (less ground clearance). Anything I should know?

Basically, am I ok going with the 6000 lb version, round bars? Or do I need to go with 4500 lb version?

THANK YOU
jackman5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 01:49 PM   #2

I would think 6000 would be ok. You can adjust the tilt of the head to adjust the tension on the bars.

The hitch will be much more than published. Also depends on your battery setup and water. My fresh tank (195RB Baja) is in the front left and is 30 gallons. I think the 145 (non Baja) is 20 like the rest of the SLX7 line. That's 160 pounds. Plus 40 for propane. Another 40-50 for a single lead acid battery. I would be surprised to see a tongue over 450 which would put you into 6000 pound unit anyways. My 195RB Baja with dual batteries and 30lb propane hit the bell at 700lb tongue.

Forgot to add I would go with trunion to help out with ground clearance.
brwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 03:05 PM   #3

Good point on the increased tongue weight, as I do plan to add second propane tank + battery. And maybe the rack above tongue for lightweight stuff.

Thank you. I’ll go with the 6k
Old 07-21-2020, 05:15 PM   #4

Just be careful. The couplers are only rated for 700lb of tongue weight.
Old 07-21-2020, 06:07 PM   #5

You mean be careful adding all that stuff to the tongue? K. Good advise.
Old 07-21-2020, 06:13 PM   #6

Correct.
Old 07-21-2020, 06:44 PM   #7

Once you've sorted out the hitch and taken it for a few camping trips, you may want to consider flipping the axle. I had this done on our 2013 145RB as I was concerned about the black water drain being a little too close to the road. The flip was done by the dealer in 2018 for approx. $220 Can and lifted the trailer about 4 inches. Now no concerns about scraping the drain. It will probably sit nicer with your tow vehicle as well.
Tiguan Tow r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 06:48 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

jackman5000,

Welcome to JOF

The Jay Flight SLX 145RB has "very limited" cargo capacity...., thus towing at its 3,000lb GVWR IMO would be the norm. At 3,000lbs gross weight the recommended 145RB loaded tongue weight range = 390lbs to 450lbs (13% to 15%).

For enhance towing safety....., I would recommend a CAT Scale visit under loaded TV/TT conditions (ready-to-camp), the CAT will confirm all your TV/TT weights and confirm that your WDH is adjusted properly (proper weight distribution).

Single axle TT's can exhibit a little more tail 'wiggle' than a twin axle TT especially in less than ideal towing conditions....., thus the importance of a CAT visit.

CAT Scale how-to:

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...v-tt-3871.html

Just food for thought.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 07:15 PM   #9

You might consider the Andersen Hitch as it matches your trailer better than the 6,000 lb. trunions would. Includes internal sway control also. Also the Andersen weighs about half the weight of the Fastway hitch.

Watch your loading of the trailer, really easy to go over the tiny load allowance Jayco built in.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 05:43 PM   #10

all good info ( some of which i had only partly considered)

definitely going to slow down on all the tongue add-on's...ill use the CAT scale guide that bob provided and see what i can add, staying within the "13% to 15% of 3000 lb" reference

im sure yall get these same questions from every newbie camper so I really do appreciate you guys taking the time to educate. Want to get this thing set up correctly.

tiguan, ive heard of the axle flip thing before...does your exhibit much increase body roll from higher center of gravity?

roger, i looked at the anderson hitch, but have a hard time seeing the chains providing as much weight distribution as compared to a rigid "fork" (bars)

the chains pulled taunt (but on springs to allow turning) makes sense to me for sway control, but i cant see the physics in my head for weight distribution. but im not too smart either! lol
Old 07-22-2020, 05:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackman5000 View Post

roger, i looked at the anderson hitch, but have a hard time seeing the chains providing as much weight distribution as compared to a rigid "fork" (bars)

the chains pulled taunt (but on springs to allow turning) makes sense to me for sway control, but i cant see the physics in my head for weight distribution. but im not too smart either! lol
I have the Andersen. It works just fine for our smaller trailers. The standard brackets work on our frames. 2" ball. You'll need to look at your vehicle and trailer for drop/rise requirements.

It's quiet. The only noises I hear are from the suspension. I don't agree with their not greasing the ball because of "no movement." See picture for scarring on the ball.

It was fairly easy to install. I did dimple the frame with a small drill but for the set screw and it hasn't moved from what I can tell. I did hit the spot with a paint pen.Click image for larger version

Name:	20200502_152103.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	61528
Old 07-22-2020, 06:08 PM   #12

Andersen hitches redistribute about half the tongue weight if properly adjusted. See Andersen FAQ https://help.andersenhitches.com/faq...ch-work-for-me.
Sway is based on a friction material in a cone under the ball in the hitch. When you hit a wind or passing truck and you get a little sway it resists the sway and comes back to center.

I know the WDH part works. When I bought it the dealer did not adjust it to spec and and I felt a distinct "floaty" feeling in my steering and my headlights were pointing high. After I dialed it in and steering became distinctly better and headlights were normal. Just like driving with and without the bars of a bar type hitch.

An added plus is the light weight and ease of hitching and unhitching. Andersen says up to 14K trailers will work with it.

On the videos you may not see it but the hitch ball turns in the socket and stays exactly in line with the trailer tongue. The tongue does not move on the ball except the normal flex going over bumps and driveways. The chains don't flew at all.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 06:54 PM   #13

Ah, interesting.
Old 07-23-2020, 08:16 AM   #14

Quote:
all good info ( some of which i had only partly considered)

definitely going to slow down on all the tongue add-on's...ill use the CAT scale guide that bob provided and see what i can add, staying within the "13% to 15% of 3000 lb" reference

im sure yall get these same questions from every newbie camper so I really do appreciate you guys taking the time to educate. Want to get this thing set up correctly.

tiguan, ive heard of the axle flip thing before...does your exhibit much increase body roll from higher center of gravity?

Your questions are all on point! I think you will end up in a great spot.

Lots of folks like the Andersen, lots like an E2. When looking at the Andersen I had the same thoughts as you .... butt obviously they are engineered and work.

I use the E2 and it's been great. Glad I chose it.
Vista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 08:28 AM   #15

Sounds like you have a solid plan.
Old 07-23-2020, 09:27 AM   #16

Yeah, the Anderson hitch definitely interesting...and has tons of great reviews so seems to be good product. However, I was a bit turned off by the polyurethane (?) bushing in the ball housing that serves as sway control. Inventive/creative, but I decided on the E2....plus I had already placed order for the trunion 6k E2 lol.

I also ordered a set of the sumo springs that go on top of leafs to serve as just a bit of extra support. I def understand that it DOES NOT mean I can overload trailer...just thought a bit of extra support might increase life of leafs, etc. hopefully that makes sense.
Old 07-23-2020, 10:50 AM   #17

[QUOTE=jackman5000;878720]all good info ( some of which i had only partly considered)

We didn't notice any difference after having the lift done. Not much effect on gas consumption nor did it feel like the lift robbed engine power or affected handling. No increase in body roll. It was so nice not worrying about ground clearance.
Tiguan Tow r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 11:37 AM   #18

Quote:
Yeah, the Anderson hitch definitely interesting...and has tons of great reviews so seems to be good product. However, I was a bit turned off by the polyurethane (?) bushing in the ball housing that serves as sway control. Inventive/creative, but I decided on the E2....plus I had already placed order for the trunion 6k E2 lol.

I also ordered a set of the sumo springs that go on top of leafs to serve as just a bit of extra support. I def understand that it DOES NOT mean I can overload trailer...just thought a bit of extra support might increase life of leafs, etc. hopefully that makes sense.
The polyurethane bushings are not in the ball housing. There is some kind of brake material there. The bushings are where the chains meet the frame brackets. As you tighten the chain(s) with the acme thread nuts the bushings get squished between the washer and the bracket.
Old 07-23-2020, 12:49 PM   #19

Ah I see. Makes sense. Nothing but great reviews on it.
Old 08-01-2020, 01:12 PM   #20

Weight distribution hitch

Quote:
Hello. First time poster & Newby camper, so plz excuse if questions are ignorant.

We just bought 1st camper, 2018 Jayflight 145RB. (2500 lb dry, 3000 lb loaded, 250 lb tongue weight). We liked the idea of something small, simple, and cheap to learn with ($10k cash out the door, seems to be barely used).

Pulling with 2019 F150 with 5.0. Maybe not necessary, but I want the FastWay E2 weight distribution (+ sway control) device. Would yall agree with this decision? Pulls fine, but just a tiny bit more safety worth it, right?

Found the 4500 lb trunion version which would match my trailer closest, but its kinda hard to find. Much easier to find the 6000 lb version. 6000 lb ok for my setup?

Also, they make trunion version (square rods) and round rod versions (less ground clearance). Anything I should know?

Basically, am I ok going with the 6000 lb version, round bars? Or do I need to go with 4500 lb version?

THANK YOU
As a dealer with 30 years of experience I am confident your truck by it self is 100 perfect adequate and safe. Weight distribution system generally require 500 pounds of tongue weight to make them work correctly...you are no where near that. I have sold many of the 145 models and many of those have gone behind small vans, short wheel base SUV’s and tow vehicles surely less than your truck... if you were in my store, I would convince you to try pulling simply on a ball, and the if you are uncomfortable for some reason and I’d have a hard time believing why. The next upgrade I’d suggest is simply an old fashion side mount friction sway control....very inexpensive but effective. The other problem,you’ll encounter is that the A frame part of the hitch is very light weight, and should you attempt to install a weight distribution hitch and mis install it, you could bend the the frame member.
Tcdoughboy34 is offline   Reply With Quote