Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-28-2023, 11:48 AM   #1

Thumbs up 2021 166FBS Thermal Link Multiple Failers

We took our RV Trailer across Country @ 10K miles. I am glad we did this while the RV was under warranty as we learned about the many manufacturing weaknesses of the Jayco. All of the drawer's bottoms dropped out because they were held together with a few staples. No glue, just a few staples. Fortunately, we had a friend in Vermont who rebuilt them for us, so we had drawers for the rest of the trip. The countertop had to be replaced due to water damage. The refrigerator failed in Indiana due to a small thermal link. The refrigerator has had every part replaced that could be removed and replaced. We have been promised a new refrigerator "next time". Tank sensors have never fully worked, and our tire sensors
quit working last week. Time spent in the shop has been equal to time out on the road due shoddy manufacturing, supply chain issues and understaffing at Camping World. But, on the bright side, since everything is under warranty, we consider it free storage.

Our biggest problem that has never been fully resolved involves our refrigerator. My question here is has anyone had problems with the thermal link, which is basically a small $35 fuse that shuts down the pilot light when it senses overheating. This causes the refrigerator to shut off completely. We have been told that this is a very common failure and that there is no way to prevent it. Camping World replaced it again and installed a metal plate to redirect airflow away from the pilot light. We are now practicing quick escape in case of fire. Other than all of this we love our RV and America the Beautiful!!!
linmicsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 03:18 PM   #2
Site Team

I haven't heard that it was a frequent or common issue here on this forum but have read of it happening occasionally on other brand forums. I believe it blows when the temperature behind the fridge gets to over 300*. Usually when the sun beats on the same side in hot weather, or there's not enough ventilation in the compartment while driving, such as wind back drafting the ventilation. If there are fans behind it, they may have failed.

The brand and model of your refrigerator might be helpful, along with it's location such as in the rear, or side, and how far back or forward from center.

BTW, there is a similar type of thermal fuse under the hotplate on coffeemakers. I've replaced it on one of ours, they're direction specific, and not that expensive. The numbers on the barrel of the fuse will tell you which one you need. There's a lot of different ones.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 10:33 PM   #3

The 166 came with, as far as I know, either a Furrion 12V or a Dometic Propane/Electric. The thing is that neither has a pilot light. The Furrion of course has no flame, and the Dometic is DSI (Direct Spark Ignition).
Past: 2015 Winnebago View, 2004 Blue Bird M380, 1990 Blue Bird WB40, 2003 Safari Zanzibar, 1998 Safari Sahara

DonBr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 11:11 PM   #4

The refrigerator is a Dometic electric/ propane. It does have a spark ignition but apparently it is designed to spark a flame when the fridge is on. The thermal link will shut the system down when the flame surges or somehow is blown into the thermal link.??? Hence Camping World installed a steel plate to redirect the airflow. A Jayco technician today said it sounds like a defective refrigerator causing overheating.
linmicsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 11:26 PM   #5

What does it do when you have it on 110V power?

I have had a number of propane/electric refrigerators in the past (12V now, happy to say), and had a few failures, but I'm not sure I know enough to give advice. On propane, yes the ignition lights a flame. That is the heat source for the refrigeration. Usually the problem with the thermocouple is that it doesn't get hot enough! When it doesn't, the system thinks it didn't light, which is a DSI fault, and will light up something on the front panel to tell you it didn't light. At that point you make sure you have propane flowing and turn it off/back on. If you have propane and it still doesn't work it can be because the thermocouple is not in the flame. It can also be caused by low propane flow - I've experienced it with my propane heater in the 166 when I failed to open the valve on the tank all the way.

One that cuts things off when there IS heat is not something I've experienced.
Past: 2015 Winnebago View, 2004 Blue Bird M380, 1990 Blue Bird WB40, 2003 Safari Zanzibar, 1998 Safari Sahara

DonBr is offline   Reply With Quote