Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-28-2017, 10:43 PM   #1

22 bhm

Does anyone have the 22 BHM?
We looked at one today. We really liked it, except the lack of storage concerns us. We have 2 small children and want the trailer to grow with us. The model we looked at has an outdoor kitchen. IMO, it was redundant since you have a kitchen inside, and it took up necessary storage space.
Has anyone ever gotten a dealer to remove it and take the cost of it off?

I'm leaning toward the 26BH because it has plenty of storage, but we like the smaller size of the 22BHM if we could make the storage situation work.
Octopus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 03:30 AM   #2
Site Team

I'll comment quickly and add more layer today since I have to get on the road for a few hours. We have one that we picked up in May. We have approximately 55 nights in it so far and absolutely love it. Primarily travel with my 2 daughters and my wife.

Again I'll check back in later today to comment on storage etc.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 07:36 AM   #3
Site Team

Ok, here's a few more details. Here's how we have ours packed. Leveling blocks, sewer fittings, etc. go in the driver's side outside compartment. Fresh water hoses, fittings, water filter, etc. are in the passenger side outside compartment. Cases of water, canned goods and other drinks go under the Murphy bed. Dishes pots and pans go in the overhead storage. Small appliances, coffee pot, toaster go in the storage under the table. Towels and linens are in the tall cupboard in the pantry area and other no perishable foods in the other tall cupboard. Kids toys games etc can go in the large storage area under the bottom bunk.

It's up to you on the outside kitchen. There have been several threads on this site where people have removed theirs and used it for storage. We really like our outside kitchen and it gets much more use than the one inside. The only thing that I will caution you on is that the trailer by design is rear heavy and it took a little trial and error to get it loaded with enough tongue weight to make it tow well. I would be careful loading heavy objects in that rear compartment if you do remove the outside kitchen as to not remove too much tongue weight.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask.

Old 12-29-2017, 08:18 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
Ok, here's a few more details. Here's how we have ours packed. Leveling blocks, sewer fittings, etc. go in the driver's side outside compartment. Fresh water hoses, fittings, water filter, etc. are in the passenger side outside compartment. Cases of water, canned goods and other drinks go under the Murphy bed. Dishes pots and pans go in the overhead storage. Small appliances, coffee pot, toaster go in the storage under the table. Towels and linens are in the tall cupboard in the pantry area and other no perishable foods in the other tall cupboard. Kids toys games etc can go in the large storage area under the bottom bunk.

It's up to you on the outside kitchen. There have been several threads on this site where people have removed theirs and used it for storage. We really like our outside kitchen and it gets much more use than the one inside. The only thing that I will caution you on is that the trailer by design is rear heavy and it took a little trial and error to get it loaded with enough tongue weight to make it tow well. I would be careful loading heavy objects in that rear compartment if you do remove the outside kitchen as to not remove too much tongue weight.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask.
Thank you for replying. Where do y'all store clothing?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/ALCOFLLANMTXsm.jpg
Old 12-29-2017, 08:22 AM   #5
Site Team

Clothes go in the two front wardrobe cabinets by the Murphy Bed. Anything extra needed (extra jackets, etc.) goes in the big storage area under the rear bunk.

Old 12-29-2017, 08:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Clothes go in the two front wardrobe cabinets by the Murphy Bed. Anything extra needed (extra jackets, etc.) goes in the big storage area under the rear bunk.
It looked like the big storage area on the one we looked at had been nailed shut, I'm guessing to accommodate the outdoor kitchen.

Old 12-29-2017, 08:26 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
It looked like the big storage area on the one we looked at had been nailed shut, I'm guessing to accommodate the outdoor kitchen.

If you pull the bottom bunk mattress up, there should be 2 doors that can be lifted up. One is a large storage area and also allows you to access the back of the outside fridge control knob, the second smaller one allows you to reach the bypass valves on the water heater.

Old 12-29-2017, 09:27 AM   #8
Site Team

Here is that storage area.
Attached Thumbnails
20171229_102505.jpg   20171229_102401.jpg  
Old 12-29-2017, 03:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Here is that storage area.
Thank you!!

Old 12-29-2017, 04:52 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Thank you!!

Anytime. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Old 02-05-2018, 12:04 PM   #11

New owner of a 22BHM

Hello fellow RVers, I wanted to ask Midnightmoon a couple more questions and thought this might be easier than starting a new thread. First off thanks for posting all your storage tips. My previous trailer had gobs of outside storage and the Jay feather not so much. One of my questions is mine only has one 12 deep cycle battery, do you find that to be enough or have you wanted to add another battery? The other is can you leave open the vent in the middle of the RV when going down the highway, it looks like you can but I didn't see anything about it in the manual? Last but not least, any upgrades you have done and highly recommend to your Jayco ?

Thank you
thatdamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 04:08 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatdamguy View Post
Hello fellow RVers, I wanted to ask Midnightmoon a couple more questions and thought this might be easier than starting a new thread. First off thanks for posting all your storage tips. My previous trailer had gobs of outside storage and the Jay feather not so much. One of my questions is mine only has one 12 deep cycle battery, do you find that to be enough or have you wanted to add another battery? The other is can you leave open the vent in the middle of the RV when going down the highway, it looks like you can but I didn't see anything about it in the manual? Last but not least, any upgrades you have done and highly recommend to your Jayco ?

Thank you
Congratulations on the 22BHM. As you can tell from my posts, we absolutely love ours.

We are almost always boondocking on the weekends. If we are conservative with our power, just using a few lights in the evening and running the water pump and radio, we can make it Friday through Sunday on one battery. We haven't found a need to add another one yet.

I have a powered roof vent in the middle of the RV. I am assuming that you have the same. I leave it in the open position nearly all of the time and there have been no issues while traveling.

No major upgrades to note at this time.

Old 02-05-2018, 04:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Congratulations on the 22BHM. As you can tell from my posts, we absolutely love ours.

We are almost always boondocking on the weekends. If we are conservative with our power, just using a few lights in the evening and running the water pump and radio, we can make it Friday through Sunday on one battery. We haven't found a need to add another one yet.

I have a powered roof vent in the middle of the RV. I am assuming that you have the same. I leave it in the open position nearly all of the time and there have been no issues while traveling.

No major upgrades to note at this time.
That is great thanks for the info! Happy travels

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
thatdamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 04:27 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatdamguy View Post
That is great thanks for the info! Happy travels

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Anytime. And by the way, welcome to the forum.