Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-21-2019, 12:00 PM   #1

242bhs

Howdy,
We purchased our first camper last spring, a 2017 19XUD. We love it! However, I made the mistake of taking the family to the RV show a few weeks ago. The wife seems drawn to the 242 BHS floor plan. It is just us and our 6 year old daughter, and the 25 lb camping Beagle Winnie. My wife likes the idea of a bed we don't have to make up every time, and an oven. My daughter wants bunk beds...? I love our camper, it's just the right size, I think. Plus, I would lose my shorts in trade in if we got something else. I have talked them down off the ledge for now. But, those who do have this plan, are there things you wish it had more of? I am concerned with getting something larger... I tow with a 2012 Silverado 1500 with tow package.. more concerned with trying to park it and pull it around.

Thoughts?
Badbird2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 08:31 AM   #2

Stay away from RV shows and dealers.
If you like what you have just keep modifying it to fit the way you use it. We have all been tempted by bigger, newer, flashier, ie; more expensive.
ekonkjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 10:49 PM   #3

Our first was a 2011 x19h loved it and as you a little worried about going biger. But took grandkids camping and needed more room. So we went out and got a Jayco 25BH biger and wow easier to back up and park. Was told the bigger the easier I did not be live it but it is We sold our X19h our selves befor we brought the 25BH.
Not sure if this will help but heck my 2 cents. We pull the 25BH wiyh a 2012 Nav.
Had to up grade the TV as the X19H we used a 2005 Jeeb liberty
MNWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 12:05 PM   #4

Thanks. I think we are going to stay with what we have for the next year or so (at least). We have 5 or 6 more trips planned this year. Any camping is better than no camping!
Badbird2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 05:00 PM   #5

Send a message via MSN to Tonyzsi
We're heading to the RV show next weekend! We had a used pop-up for 1 year and I've had my 2013 X18D for 2 years now. We love it compared to the pop-up, but our camping friends all have larger non-hybrid rigs and I think we'd like one too.
Here are my pros/cons when I think about changing rigs:
Pros:
- Easier set up/ packing up
- Better temp regulation (I'm just north of Baltimore and we often camp in PA in spring/fall and have camped in temps below freezing)
- More room for storage outside & inside and more space inside including a couch (currently have a bench which isn't as comfortable as a couch)
- Power awning & larger covered space if it's raining
- Possible outside door directly to bathroom
- More counter space and larger sink (cleaning up after meals will be much easier and there won't be dishes filling the sink or sitting all over the counter tops)

Cons:
- Larger unit to tow, more affected by cross winds & stopping at gas stations or grocery stores will be more difficult
- Heavier = less fuel mileage and more wear on tires
- Not as intimate as our hybrid. It may sound funny, but I like that we're all pretty close in the camper. I have waved to the kids from bunk to bunk and you lose that in a larger unit with seperate master. That is good and bad. LOL.
- Not as much room in the beds- We have 3 fold out Queen beds. We can sit up in bed and not hit our head. The double bunk beds in most floorplans I like do not have much headroom and I'm not sure the kids could sit up as comfortably in them.
- More $$- current camper is paid off, new one would be another $10k'ish
- New camper takes getting used to, might need a fix or two and we'll want to put our touches and upgrades into it which is more money.

These are some of my thoughts. I'm hoping to upgrade my truck this year to a '16 or '17 F150. I purchased the largest camper I could using my current truck, but once I have more capacity then I do hope to be able to upgrade. I'm considering trailers 24-28' long. I really like floorplans that have a slide with a dining table and a small couch.
Tonyzsi is offline   Reply With Quote