Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-14-2016, 02:50 PM   #1

360 vent cap , why ?

Im confuse and i need your input here. Looks like its a must to have if you are getting sewer odors entering the living space, however I always tought that the tanks were already connected to a vent, so whats the big deal about the 360 ?

btw my toilets dont leak and i have about 2 inch of water in it serving as odor barrier , so were the smell is coming from ?

Ford F 150 Ecoboost Tow Max 3.73 2014

Equalizer hitch 1000/10000
homer1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 03:15 PM   #2

Its not the black tank unless you keep the ceiling fan running.

There is a little air trap valve under sink, that commonly sticks open on newer trailers and causes odors. Only time you have them in a stick built house is if you cannot use a traditional venting, such as in an island. I forgot the name of the valve. Open the door under the sink, look in there, way up high is a black pipe that just ends with a little cap on it. Give the cap a little tap. Ours stuck open a few times during our first few years of ownership.

Next, I found if you do not fully drain your black tank and grey tanks, and keep a few gallons of water in them at all time (except for winter storage), the tanks say much healthier and you have very little odor. What I learned the odor is caused by a bacteria boom. Another reason why not to put bleach down your drains.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 03:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Its not the black tank unless you keep the ceiling fan running.

There is a little air trap valve under sink, that commonly sticks open on newer trailers and causes odors. Only time you have them in a stick built house is if you cannot use a traditional venting, such as in an island. I forgot the name of the valve. Open the door under the sink, look in there, way up high is a black pipe that just ends with a little cap on it. Give the cap a little tap. Ours stuck open a few times during our first few years of ownership.

Next, I found if you do not fully drain your black tank and grey tanks, and keep a few gallons of water in them at all time (except for winter storage), the tanks say much healthier and you have very little odor. What I learned the odor is caused by a bacteria boom. Another reason why not to put bleach down your drains.
So the smell might be coming from the sink, even if my p trap contains water ? Oh...i think i got it, ive just re read your post.....am i right thinking that the sink plumbing system isnt vented and thats why they put those check valve you describe ? Ill go take a look , im curious to see that ! Thanks

Old 07-14-2016, 03:45 PM   #4

The Grey tank is vented, but this valve releases the back pressure we as the sink drains. In our stick built houses each sink, has its own vent line at the sink, that goes up,and might tie into other vent lines. Our tts only have a tank vent.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 03:47 PM   #5
BCK

They call it an auto vent or in-line vent so you can speak the language at a plumbing supply store. The cheap <$5 RV grade auto vent was a problem in our last TT. It would stick and the vacuum created when driving would suck the water out of the vanity sink p-trap and then we would have the lovely smell inside when we arrived at our destination.

A decent residential grade auto vent works much better. In a pinch, putting the sink drain stoppers in before driving works too until there's time and opportunity to replace the auto vent.
BCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 03:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
The Grey tank is vented, but this valve releases the back pressure we as the sink drains. In our stick built houses each sink, has its own vent line at the sink, that goes up,and might tie into other vent lines. Our tts only have a tank vent.
yup thats what i meant with my broken frenchglish ! Thanks

Old 07-14-2016, 03:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCK View Post
They call it an auto vent or in-line vent so you can speak the language at a plumbing supply store. The cheap <$5 RV grade auto vent was a problem in our last TT. It would stick and the vacuum created when driving would suck the water out of the vanity sink p-trap and then we would have the lovely smell inside when we arrived at our destination.

A decent residential grade auto vent works much better. In a pinch, putting the sink drain stoppers in before driving works too until there's time and opportunity to replace the auto vent.
ok so ill take a look at mine and if its stock ill get a real one...from home depot !

Old 07-14-2016, 04:10 PM   #8

In conclusion in regards of the 360 vent cap im thinking its another after market gimmick !

Old 07-14-2016, 10:53 PM   #9

Actually, I've had luck with the one that looks like a sail boat that turns with the wind. Conceptually, the wind passing by the hole in the rear of the device creates an area of low pressure which draws tank odors up the vent stack and out a bit at a time. We were having some issues with tank odors and this stopped them for us in our old camper. I found out our first time camping that we needed to do the same thing to our "new to us" camper.

We were having a terrible time with our new camper with black tank odors. We had the vent fan off but it still seemed like black tank odors were being pulled up the toilet hole when we flushed. That was wrong... We eventually figured out the black tank vent pipe was right next to the vent fan. When we flushed, the affluent going in would displace the black tank gasses, causing them to go up the black tank vent pipe and disperse. Since the black tank gasses were heavier than air, they would sink....right through the open vent fan and into the camper. So...we had to devise a process where we turned off the vent fan, closed the vent fan, flushed the toilet, waited a bit (15 seconds?) and then reopened the vent fan. The end result was no more odors in the camper.
justman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 09:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1959 View Post
In conclusion in regards of the 360 vent cap im thinking its another after market gimmick !

Absolutely Not A Gimmick!!!!!
I had a problem where I park my camper at my seasonal site , the postion it was in and surrounding structures created a significant down draft. We had bad fumes in the camper on very windy days. Installed the 360's on both the black and grey tanks and walla no more smell.
So I can say 100% for my situation the 360 Works as advertised!!!!![emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lx22f/c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 08:34 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by lx22f/c View Post
I had a problem where I park my camper at my seasonal site , the postion it was in and surrounding structures created a significant down draft. We had bad fumes in the camper on very windy days. Installed the 360's on both the black and grey tanks and walla no more smell.

ok then LOL

Old 07-16-2016, 11:53 AM   #12

The technical name for that little valve is an AAV (Air Admittance Valve) although there are sometimes local slang terms used, usually a common brand name.
Old 07-16-2016, 11:58 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lx22f/c View Post
I had a problem where I park my camper at my seasonal site , the postion it was in and surrounding structures created a significant down draft. We had bad fumes in the camper on very windy days. Installed the 360's on both the black and grey tanks and voilà, no more smell.

Fixed it for you.
Old 07-16-2016, 08:02 PM   #14

I've heard them called "Pro-Vents" around here. I don't think it's legal to use them in Massachusetts.
Reese SC Weight Distrubition with sway control (12,000lb)
Jhowemca is offline   Reply With Quote