Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-13-2022, 07:38 PM   #1

A/C “Deflection” on Jay Feather Micro

Hey everyone!
I have a Jay Feather Micro 171BH. The A/C puts out a lot of cold air. Unfortunately it’s at the rear of the trailer. My kids in the bunk beds get freezing cold while I’m hot as heck in the front queen bed. Obviously they make magnetic reflectors for home use but the A/C unit does not have anything magnetic. Has anyone found a way to increase the airflow to the front of the trailer? Thanks! Cheers, Andy
McMullap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 07:44 PM   #2

What AC unit do you have? Is it a roof top unit?

All roof top units I have seen have both a front and rear discharge. I recently saw a YouTube video of someone replacing the inside cover to one that had additional discharge ports. Unfortunately I did not pay attention to what model coleman he had. The new cover was Bluetooth capable, which might help in the search.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 07:58 PM   #3

It is a rooftop unit. Either domestic or furrion. The outlet is completely flush with the ceiling. I have also seen units with a front/rear discharge. This unit simply shoots air straight down. And it’s next to the bunks. Ha. Kids don’t like it at all.
Old 05-13-2022, 08:30 PM   #4

I would say figure out exactly which make and model yoi have. Then maybe we can find a solution.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 05:39 AM   #5
Site Team

See if a small fan for circulation helps until you figure something better out?
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 08:52 PM   #6

I found the model A/C Unit

I found out that our 171BH includes the Furrion Chill Rooftop Air Conditioner, rated at 14,500btu. I have the FACR14SA-PS model. As I indicated, it is mounted near the bunks in the rear of our trailer. Our kids are having a hard time sleeping as the unit is actually pretty noisy. In addition, they complain about the cold on a regular basis. To combat the noise, we bought kids ear plugs. We have yet to try them but will this coming weekend. Start simple and see if it helps!

Regarding the A/C vent, I’m going to attempt to include a picture of the air vent and hope folks have some wonderful ideas to get the air flow directed towards the front bed where my wife and I sweat our way through the night.

The air flow vents are roughly 9” across and the cover is plastic. I was hoping to slap on a magnetic vent deflector but it won’t stay attached to the vent cover. Thoughts?

(Yes, I may post a few times as I doubt my first attempt including attachments goes well.)
Attached Thumbnails
DEB52FDE-16F6-4CA4-883F-669D58DC6DB5.jpeg   0857DBCE-EF5E-46A8-950D-BCECF0EC9697.jpeg   B645816C-564F-4F2C-85DB-3C4230503BF5.jpeg  
Old 06-04-2022, 09:55 AM   #7

I had this issue on our 22bhm and ended up hacking the cover to fit a house register and building a custom deflector out of pvc trim board, not ideal but it is working for now. I think if we are going to keep this rig much longer a mini-split is going to be next on the mod list, the rooftop unit is utter noisy crap, it doesn't dehumidify for anything. Our tv is also mounted right next to it, so no chance in heck of watching tv with the air running on those rainy days.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ent-73468.html

The post above was my first attempt at a fix it was ok, but I ended up removing it and making a deflector/vent, I can add pictures this evening. It was not a fun process and the AC system just leaves so much to be desired even though it does cool extremely well, we have only ever needed it to be on low cool and thermostat set to halfway between cool and warm to be comfortable in the summer.
FLascent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 07:22 PM   #8

We have a 15k Dometic Duo Therm that outs out a strong blast of cold air. I discovered that the output portion of the ceiling unit has a sliding baffle that closes off the outflow there, forcing more through the ducting and various ceiling vents. It definitely helps push more air to the front where the bed is. I can’t tell from your photos if yours might have this, but worth checking.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 07:48 AM   #9

Just a thought ... Since some units have the front/rear discharge, does Furrion make and sell a retrofittable ceiling cover panel? I have the flush downflow style, too, and it just seems like it was the inexpensive option for the factory.
dougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 09:25 AM   #10

Perhaps https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MZKFMC6
Past: 2015 Winnebago View, 2004 Blue Bird M380, 1990 Blue Bird WB40, 2003 Safari Zanzibar, 1998 Safari Sahara

DonBr is offline   Reply With Quote