Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-09-2011, 03:09 PM   #1

AC Leaking Problem in Swift SLX

My tt is only three months old and the AC leaked this weekend. I had it leveled perfectly. Anyone else having this problem? Shouldn't there be some kind of a tube to drain the water out? I know there is a water pan but don't see any way for the water to drain from condensation. Very frustrating.
Ezdays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 03:34 PM   #2

Where is it leaking? At least on mine it drains onto the roof and it comes out the lowest gutter end.

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 05:46 PM   #3

My 154 slx drains to the outside--kinda drips down the window. Is yours draining inside?
BTCohosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 12:15 PM   #4

Yes, it drips on the inside. This AC is on the side and not a roof AC. Very strange that it won't drain outside. When I look at it from outside there is no type of tube to drain the water. I know window ac's in a home have some type of tube hanging down to drain the water. Someone told me the TT has to be tipped more to the right so it will drain outside. This is crazy!
Old 07-10-2011, 12:51 PM   #5

I am not familiar with those side mounted AC units. I could see that if it was too far off level it would leak, but I would not think it would do it if slightly off. I would give Jayco a quick call and inquire about it. Maybe there is a travel/storage plug that has to be removed??

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 01:48 PM   #6
Site Team

Until you can get your problem looked at, try tilting the TT slightly so that the condensate runs toward the outside portion of the A/C unit. Although you say you're perfectly level, maybe the A/C unit isn't. I know for a fact that my floor reads different from my kitchen countertop when I put a level on each of them. Yet, in theory, both should be level.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 04:44 PM   #7

My 2,011 17C A/C was on fan only when we went out. During our outing there was a really hard long rainstorm. The rain stopped, we returned to the RV and the rain had come through the A/C onto a rug. There was a lot of water not just a few drops, the rug was soaked, and the A/C was still dripping even though the rain had stopped. It dripped for hours, though it was only a few drops at a time. Is this normal?

Thanks for this forum. It is really, really helpful, especially for us people who have not had their first RV for long.
Sabina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 08:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabina View Post
My 2,011 17C A/C was on fan only when we went out. During our outing there was a really hard long rainstorm. The rain stopped, we returned to the RV and the rain had come through the A/C onto a rug. There was a lot of water not just a few drops, the rug was soaked, and the A/C was still dripping even though the rain had stopped. It dripped for hours, though it was only a few drops at a time. Is this normal?

Thanks for this forum. It is really, really helpful, especially for us people who have not had their first RV for long.
No, that isn't normal. Sounds like the A/C unit is not sealed properly or the hold down bolts are loose.
mcfarmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:13 AM   #9

Update: Recall
http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...0849#post30849
Old 07-29-2011, 07:58 AM   #10

Did you check the A/C mounting bolts (as shown in the recall section) to make sure they are tight (firm)?
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:40 AM   #11

Called Jayco and apparently all 2011 Swift SLX's need to have a repair on the side mounted AC done under warranty. Need to take back to dealership and have them do the repair. They should have received a letter (they also said I should have but haven't) indicating the repairs that need to be done. This is very frustrating since it's camping weather (even though hot) and now I have to go through this. Who knows how long they'll keep it. Saved a long time to be able to pay for the TT and have been with this leak since I took it out the first day in April. Did tilt it more to the right last time and it did keep the water from leaking inside but I was tilted to the right which I should not have to do with a brand new TT. It takes me 2 hours to get to the dealership! UGH!!!!
Old 08-11-2011, 05:34 AM   #12

we picked up a 2012 swift 145rb. when i use it i put the ac side just a little lower. So the water will run out and down the window. Then before we leave i run the tire up on some blocks. To drain the rest out don't want it spashing inside.
Hope this helps out
Durdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:58 PM   #13

I just took my new Swift 184BH out for the first time. The condensation is leaking inside at the bottom corner of my window, and all the way down into the storage compartment. Was your Swift fixed under warrantee? If not, how I'd you fix yours?

My leak is really bad. I even unleveled my TT to the point that I had to sleep at the other end of the bed. Just to get through the nigh, I had to take a ziplock bag, cut the zipper part off, tape it to the wall with duct tape, and cut up one of sons diapers just to soak up all the water through the night.

I have threaded some cotton rope from the outside at the drip pan and leave it hanging out to channel water out before it gets a chance to pool inside. That seems to have helped a lot, but there is still enough water coming in that I fully expect that my sons diaper fix will be 100% soaked. I tightened all screws... No dice. I even shimmed some pennies in the front of the AC in order to give the drip a higher run angle. The help too, but still a lot of water.
Not happy. I am on day 2 of 8 days (first trip with camper) so this trip is going to take a lot of maintaining.

2017 Jayco 287BHSW
xkuzme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:08 AM   #14

haven't heard of any 2012 184BH having this problem after the supposed fixed/redesign. mine has worked w/out issues.
I however, do not like the wall mount. if the roof can hold my weight and it has, Jayco could have put the AC up there.
the cheap window type AC is not justification enough to cut quality and save the consumer a few $$. Jayco would not lose any $$.
LBL 1206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:08 PM   #15

That's exactly how mine does. I've considered adding some gutter to direct it away from the window but so far I've been too lazy.
JimboC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:10 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkuzme1 View Post
I just took my new Swift 184BH out for the first time. The condensation is leaking inside at the bottom corner of my window, and all the way down into the storage compartment. Was your Swift fixed under warrantee? If not, how I'd you fix yours?

My leak is really bad. I even unleveled my TT to the point that I had to sleep at the other end of the bed. Just to get through the nigh, I had to take a ziplock bag, cut the zipper part off, tape it to the wall with duct tape, and cut up one of sons diapers just to soak up all the water through the night.

I have threaded some cotton rope from the outside at the drip pan and leave it hanging out to channel water out before it gets a chance to pool inside. That seems to have helped a lot, but there is still enough water coming in that I fully expect that my sons diaper fix will be 100% soaked. I tightened all screws... No dice. I even shimmed some pennies in the front of the AC in order to give the drip a higher run angle. The help too, but still a lot of water.
Not happy. I am on day 2 of 8 days (first trip with camper) so this trip is going to take a lot of maintaining.
I seem to remember some type of a recall about the AC on the Swifts. Someone else may remember more detail.
JimboC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:49 PM   #17

I haven't run the a/c much in my 145RB yet so can't comment about the drainage, but I can see light around the a/c from the inside. There doesn't seem to be any weatherstripping around the a/c unit on the outside. There is a screen but my guess is that rain (yup, rains a lot here in Oregon) will get inside just from sitting or driving down the road. When I wash the trailer, I try to avoid spraying the hose directly on that area. Has anyone had an issue with this? Is there weather stripping missing from around the unit so it is sealed from the elements? Is this something I need to do myself?

Thank you in advance for your help. Love this forum!
GoCougs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:48 AM   #18

On my 3rd trip with our Swift SLX 184BH, mine too for the first time has begun dripping/leaking water between the exterior-interior walls. My storage compartment this morning had a flood in it, with the excess water draining through the floor to the ground. What lousy design this is. Going to tilt the trailer this morning once everyone is up, hoping for the result I think I should get.....
Old 09-08-2012, 07:28 AM   #19

I had took my camper in to get fixed. They did a good job of fixing it, although the drip still comes down the side of the camper and drips right into the storage compartment (a reallly bad design of Jayco's part). The dealership re-leveled the inside of the tray, bent the tray so that the water would be an obvious route for the water to flow, the they caulked up every single hole in the thing. I am happy with the custom work they did. I did come up with an extremely easy fix for the condensation and it works well.

I got some lengths of rope/twine. Something that closely resembled a wick. I cut them into 6-7 inch lengths. I took some bailing wire and ran it down the middle of the lengths of rope. I tied the ends of the ropes so that they would not fray (you could burn them, but I do not know if they would wick the water as well). You can shove one end of the little rope into the bottom of the AC where the condensation comes out and bend the rope to "wick" the water away from the camper.

It has worked well for me so far, and it is a cheap way to fix a simple problem. I have found that it is best to only use one at a time so that you get a sufficient volume of water to keep the "wicking" process going. Let the AC run for just a little while and watch which hole that water decides that it is going to come out, then stick the wick in there and bend the rope away from the camper.

I might make a gutter system for it later. I have been looking for the right material, but I have not found it yet. I might just make my own, but honestly the wick works perfectly, but it is a pain and should not be necessary.

X

2017 Jayco 287BHSW
xkuzme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:32 PM   #20

Well tilting my trailer 2 inches higher to one side did absolutely nothing.... which is really strange? It would seem gravity would take over and get the water flowing out the vent holes, but it's not.

This is an extremely poor design, and is also ruining our vacation with water seeping into the interior now. I'm now seeing visible water damage to some of particle board that has become soaked, and who knows what kind of damage is occurring behind the wall? If it weren't 90 degrees out we'd kill the AC, but it's just too hot.

Another design snafu, you can't get the AC filter out without bending it more than 90°. The AC unit is right up against a cabinet. What were the designers thinking???

I've already made arrangements next week to have this problem resolved, my dealer says this is the first they've heard of a 2013 model doing this.

We're already thinking of a new larger TT (264BH) for next year, but after this experience..... I'm rethinking the whole idea of buying another Jayco.