Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-20-2013, 02:54 PM   #1

Advice for buying new SLX 184 bh

Hi, I'm considering buying the Swift SLX 184 bh, and I've already gotten lots of advice - thanks!

The current problem I'm having is about purchase price. (if this is an inappropriate discussion just let me know!).

I've read the post about getting 30% of MSRP, the problem I'm having is that I live in BC, Canada. There are few Jayco dealers within 500 miles, and doesn't seem to be any internet stores. Prices in Canada are always jacked up versus the USA, so price comparisons with the USA never seem to be taken seriously. The MSRP on the Jayco site is something like $14,500, but in Canada I've seen the MSRP stated at $13,900, $14,900, $15,900, and $16,900. I suppose I could just go with 30% off the Jayco MSRP, but it seems a stretch to buy in Canada for $10,000.

I feel really cheeky asking (and just tell me if you agree!), but is it possible for any Western Canadian members to give me an idea what they paid/where they shopped?

Sorry for the impertinence! jb
jamie beers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 03:15 PM   #2

Hi Jamie, I live in the Fraser Valley.

I was shopping for a new 184 last year, and ended up finding one in Tacoma for $10,900 which included them throwing in a sway bar and weight distribution hitch. It was the best deal I could find. I found another similar price in Oregon. I didn't purchase the 184 because I found a better deal on a slightly used, like new 2008 197 for much less. I purchased that one in Burlington from a private seller. The dealers in Washington and Oregon were very helpful. They answered all my questions by email and were very pleasant to talk to on the phone. I made sure to tell them that I didn't want my time wasted with surprise costs since I would be driving so far to get a trailer.

Good Luck!
3firetrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:10 PM   #3

thanks very much, 3firetrucks. appreciate the feedback. j
Old 09-21-2013, 08:36 PM   #4

I paid $10,300 for mine. Out the door in Kansas City.

X

2017 Jayco 287BHSW
xkuzme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkuzme1 View Post
I paid $10,300 for mine. Out the door in Kansas City.

X
nice deal. thanks for the reply.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:26 AM   #6

This time of year the 2014's are on most lots and the 13's should be discounted. Sounds like from the posts so far, it might be worth a drive to a US dealer. Don't know what $$ you'd face when you bring it back to Canada. If the dealers in Canada are the same as ours in the lower 48, they all have a song and dance about covering their cost, cost of delivery, etc. Its all sort of true but also mostly BS. My closest dealer is about 75 miles [far cry from your 500] so I'm not expecting to head over there every time I have a squeak or rattle. Will just keep a list of issues and unless they are serious, I'll plan a visit after my first year to get them caught up on warrantee work. My point is that I think smart money is to get your best buy rather than feeling stuck to your local or closest dealer. Flash the cash to show that you are a real buyer, and be prepared to drive off their lot if they won't deal. Each situation is different, but they are just as interested [especially this time of year] in selling you a TT as you are wanting to buy one. In Canada, I would suspect that the RV season is already nearing an end. All those units on the dealer lots are going to get covered with snow pretty soon meaning they will be paying overhead on them until Spring. Personally, I would be checking out our prices down south of the border and then talk to some people who have bought in the US before. I purchased from a dealer almost 500 miles from my house and got a 30% discount upfront. My closest dealer's internet price was $1000 higher after giving me [HaHa] a $6k trade in on my old TT. I took the 30% off deal and sold my old TT for $5000. That netted me a saving of $3500 after including my cost for driving 1000 miles round trip for the pick up.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:10 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
This time of year the 2014's are on most lots and the 13's should be discounted. Sounds like from the posts so far, it might be worth a drive to a US dealer. Don't know what $$ you'd face when you bring it back to Canada. If the dealers in Canada are the same as ours in the lower 48, they all have a song and dance about covering their cost, cost of delivery, etc. Its all sort of true but also mostly BS. My closest dealer is about 75 miles [far cry from your 500] so I'm not expecting to head over there every time I have a squeak or rattle. Will just keep a list of issues and unless they are serious, I'll plan a visit after my first year to get them caught up on warrantee work. My point is that I think smart money is to get your best buy rather than feeling stuck to your local or closest dealer. Flash the cash to show that you are a real buyer, and be prepared to drive off their lot if they won't deal. Each situation is different, but they are just as interested [especially this time of year] in selling you a TT as you are wanting to buy one. In Canada, I would suspect that the RV season is already nearing an end. All those units on the dealer lots are going to get covered with snow pretty soon meaning they will be paying overhead on them until Spring. Personally, I would be checking out our prices down south of the border and then talk to some people who have bought in the US before. I purchased from a dealer almost 500 miles from my house and got a 30% discount upfront. My closest dealer's internet price was $1000 higher after giving me [HaHa] a $6k trade in on my old TT. I took the 30% off deal and sold my old TT for $5000. That netted me a saving of $3500 after including my cost for driving 1000 miles round trip for the pick up.
Thanks a lot for the input! j
Old 09-22-2013, 06:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie beers View Post
Thanks a lot for the input! j
Good luck in your search. Also suggest you do a lot of internet work. Many dealers are on line and quote what they call their online price. Don't be fooled. When you find what you want, look at their price and don't be fooled by the MSRP. They will show it to give you the impression you are getting a good deal. Dealers never sell an RV at MSRP. The MSRP is not anything close to "retail", its just a number the manufacturer concoct to help the dealers sell.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Good luck in your search. Also suggest you do a lot of internet work. Many dealers are on line and quote what they call their online price. Don't be fooled. When you find what you want, look at their price and don't be fooled by the MSRP. They will show it to give you the impression you are getting a good deal. Dealers never sell an RV at MSRP. The MSRP is not anything close to "retail", its just a number the manufacturer concoct to help the dealers sell.
Thanks again for all your input, really appreciate it. j