Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-28-2016, 08:20 AM   #11

Through bolting isn't the only way to have a sturdy grab bar. It's just when the wood stud splits or the installer missed the stud altogether you need too.

This is how they should be installed into the stud.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

Reese SC Weight Distrubition with sway control (12,000lb)
Jhowemca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 11:09 AM   #12

Like Norty, ours was factory installed and is not through bolted. I had it off a few weeks ago so I could replace the foam handle, and the screws that hold it in are a heavy gauge at least a #10, maybe #12? They are certainly biting into something very solid behind; I would say it was metal rather than wood structure based on the tightness of the screw all the way out, but mine is aluminum framed. That leads me to also believe that there is a "sweet spot" for the mount, at least on models that offer it as an option (was standard equipment for our model year). Add a bit of butyl tape behind to keep things dry.

One question to OP, when you say it is loose, do you mean the mounts on the wall are loose, or that the handle itself has become sloppy? There are two springs inside the mounts that keep the handle pulled down tight to the mounting bracket, and if one is broken it could cause looseness. My foam replacement kit included new pivots and springs as well.

bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 08:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
Like Norty, ours was factory installed and is not through bolted. I had it off a few weeks ago so I could replace the foam handle, and the screws that hold it in are a heavy gauge at least a #10, maybe #12? They are certainly biting into something very solid behind; I would say it was metal rather than wood structure based on the tightness of the screw all the way out, but mine is aluminum framed. That leads me to also believe that there is a "sweet spot" for the mount, at least on models that offer it as an option (was standard equipment for our model year). Add a bit of butyl tape behind to keep things dry.

One question to OP, when you say it is loose, do you mean the mounts on the wall are loose, or that the handle itself has become sloppy? There are two springs inside the mounts that keep the handle pulled down tight to the mounting bracket, and if one is broken it could cause looseness. My foam replacement kit included new pivots and springs as well.
Thank you, thank you all for your excellent input. It was tight as a drum. Wife put it on with two screws that came in the pckg. But on a dark Maine night, I fell down the stairs and this item saved me. It's loose as a result.

2012 Horton Car Hauler
1997 F250 Light Duty - gone but loved
Catmike2 is offline   Reply With Quote