Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-28-2021, 01:31 PM   #1

Almost new owner, question on sway/WD

Hello, all! After much shopping around, we just secured the next Jay Flight 184BS at a local dealer which should be delivered mid-late March. I grew up camping (mostly in a pop-up) and am excited to get back into it with our two small kids.

I had a question regarding weight distribution/sway control for this trailer. My tow vehicle is a Toyota Tundra (5.7L, ~10k lb tow capacity), so I'm obviously well under the limits with this 4300lb GVWR trailer. Using a 15% hitch/tongue weight estimate, I'm at about a 645lb loaded hitch weight on the high end. Toyota doesn't recommend a WD hitch until 5,000lbs GVWR. All that said, I know I'd benefit from at least some type of sway control. Would you all recommend a WD hitch for peace of mind, or can I get away with just an anti-sway bar?

Thanks in advance!
BuckWallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 03:00 PM   #2

If money is not a huge concern I would get a wdh like the blue ox sway pro. If it is I would just get a sway control device. In other words if I could get my wife to loosen the purse strings I would get the sway pro.
Old 02-28-2021, 03:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shokyle1 View Post
If money is not a huge concern I would get a wdh like the blue ox sway pro. If it is I would just get a sway control device. In other words if I could get my wife to loosen the purse strings I would get the sway pro.
Thanks, I appreciate the response! I had been doing research between the Blue Ox and Equalizer and actually ended up ordering a Blue Ox in case I needed it. It seemed easier to set up and was slightly cheaper, so I went that route. Was just wondering if I could do without it, and it seems the answer is "yes, but....". Money isn't a huge object, and I'm more than willing to spend it on something that will increase safety on the road as we'll be taking some longish trips with a lot of freeway travel in the future.
Old 03-01-2021, 10:27 AM   #4

I would vote for the Andersen due to it's great built in sway control and simplicity and light weight. It is also one of the easiest on/off hitches I have used. It also adds less weight on the hitch.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 12:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
I would vote for the Andersen due to it's great built in sway control and simplicity and light weight. It is also one of the easiest on/off hitches I have used. It also adds less weight on the hitch.
I was actually looking into that as well. I read a few stories that it doesn't do great with weight distribution, but those examples were from people with much larger trailers. I think with the light hitch weight of the 184BS the Andersen would be a decent choice.
Old 03-01-2021, 01:16 PM   #6

We just got the exact same trailer and are towing with a Nissan Pathfinder. Nissan says the same thing about the WDH. I read a ton of forums that said you should get one, but then I also read people saying it was a bad idea. My car is also still under warranty. So, we decided not to go with the WDH and will get a sway bar if it feels like we need one. We towed a popup for 4 years and it was fine without anything. Towing the 184BS home was a breeze. 45 minutes on the highway without any issues. We're still open to the sway bar if it seems like we need it.
Smhasler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 02:14 PM   #7

A note on using the Andersen. The weight distribution effect requires tightening the hitch to the extent it takes weight off. But just tightening to the point where the triangle plate has to move with the trailer should suffice to use it as a dedicated sway control only. But leaves open the option to simply tighten it to recommendations to get the full WDH function. I would suggest you measure your front axle weight while hitched and unhitched and see if you are removing more weight than you believe you should.

On my Jeep, the steering feels uncertain and odd without the hitch tightened to recommendations.

Old 03-01-2021, 02:30 PM   #8

With WDH go by how much weight is taken off the front wheels, which diminishes steering control. That said, that trailer probably doesn't need much but you'd be surprised how much steering control can change with even just a few hundred hundred # tongue weight.

I need almost no WDH with my X20E but there is a difference if I don't use it. And I wouldn't be without the sway control. I have a Fastway E2, which is the 2 point version of the Equalizer E4.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 06:22 PM   #9

Hi all, I just purchased a new Jayco 174hb and I'm towing it with a Dodge 1500 with the Hemi and a tow package. I asked my dealer if I should get WDH and he said to take it out for a drive first and see how it feels.

He figured it would not be necessary for a trailer/truck combination like mine. Perhaps an anti-sway hitch would be what I need?

Anyway not taking possession for a few weeks yet, so something else to ponder now.
Ricardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 06:41 PM   #10
Site Team

I'll always recommend a WDH to anyone towing a trailer, especially the combination hitches that have anti-sway built into their design.

Check this article out. It may answer some questions.

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-weightdistribution.aspx

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 06:53 PM   #11

As mentioned above and several other places the best, safest and most effective test is to weigh the front axle with and without the fully loaded trailer. An alternative test is to measure the front bumper and see if it goes up when the trailer is hitched up. If much weight is removed you will lose emergency steering control.

In my case on a smaller vehicle like my Jeep, I can feel the steering is odd, almost like the front end is floating a little bit without a dialed in WDH.
And this is really bad in an emergency steering event, braking event or bad road conditions.

Old 03-13-2021, 06:59 PM   #12

Well it has a tongue weight of 300lbs weights 3500lbs loaded, and it's only a 21ft trailer, so not sure how that would impact the steering. But I need to learn more. Sway control I can see.

My tent trailer had a 200lbs tongue weight... about.. and it was like it was not even there. It weighed 2200lb or so.

So I dunno... when I hook it up at the dealers I will try that.
Old 03-13-2021, 07:00 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckWallace View Post
snip..... I know I'd benefit from at least some type of sway control. Would you all recommend a WD hitch for peace of mind, or can I get away with just an anti-sway bar?......snip
BuckWallace,

Welcome to JOF

I agree, with your TV/TT combination a friction sway control arm should be utilized at a minimum, especially considering the 184BS is a single axle TT.

Your TV's specifications may state that a WDH may not be required with the 184BS..., but we all have different TV/TT 'loading habits' that can influence TV handling characteristics.

The more weight removed from a TV's front axle due to TV cargo placement and TT tongue weight placed on the hitch ball, has a direct effect on the TV's suspension, steering, and braking characteristics.

A WDH 'may' not be required with your TV/TT combination based on your confirmed ready-to-camp loaded weights..., but a WDH can enhance TV handling of a TT in less-than-ideal towing conditions (cross wind, sudden maneuver, poor road conditions, etc.).

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 07:09 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
Well it has a tongue weight of 300lbs weights 3500lbs loaded, and it's only a 21ft trailer, so not sure how that would impact the steering. But I need to learn more. Sway control I can see.

My tent trailer had a 200lbs tongue weight... about.. and it was like it was not even there. It weighed 2200lb or so.

So I dunno... when I hook it up at the dealers I will try that.
And I know that's what the brochure says, the actual tongue weight is probably 350 or even 400lbs?
Old 03-13-2021, 07:33 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
I'll always recommend a WDH to anyone towing a trailer, especially the combination hitches that have anti-sway built into their design.

Check this article out. It may answer some questions.

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-weightdistribution.aspx
When Do You Need a Weight Distribution Hitch?
Your tow vehicle's owner's manual should provide you with tow weight specifications and information regarding weight distribution use. For instance, the 2018 Chevy Traverse owner's manual states that weight distribution and sway control are required when towing a trailer over 5,000 lbs.
For safety and liability reasons, you should always comply with manufacturer instructions. If you choose not to, and a problem arises, your insurance company may not be there to help (especially for a commercial business) since you chose to ignore manufacturer recommendations.
Even if you are within the towing limits set by your equipment, vehicle manufacturer, etc., there are other indicators that you may benefit from a weight distribution hitch, including:
Your trailer weight (GTW) is more than 50% of your vehicle's weight (GVWR)
The rear of your tow vehicle sags when the trailer is hooked up
You experience trailer sway
Your tow vehicle's headlights point upward
You find it difficult to steer or stop your rig
You want to tow to the highest capacity allowed by your trailer hitch

Take it out for a drive and see, good article, thanks.
Old 03-13-2021, 10:58 PM   #16

I towed a 195RB Baja with a RAM 1500 for about 5 years using an Andersen. The tongue weight on the 195RB was usually around 425-450 but could approach 500 depending on how much fresh water I was carrying. Personally I think that a WDH with built-in sway control is much more effective than a simple friction sway device. The Andersen performed beautifully and would be a great hitch for your set up. Added benefits are it's clean, quiet and does not need to be removed in order to back up.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 12:24 AM   #17

Quote:
Hi all, I just purchased a new Jayco 174hb and I'm towing it with a Dodge 1500 with the Hemi and a tow package. I asked my dealer if I should get WDH and he said to take it out for a drive first and see how it feels.

He figured it would not be necessary for a trailer/truck combination like mine. Perhaps an anti-sway hitch would be what I need?

Anyway not taking possession for a few weeks yet, so something else to ponder now.
I’ll echo the support for the Andersen WDH, especially for smaller rigs. Taking yours for a “test tow” as your dealer suggests isn’t necessarily going to give you an accurate feel for extreme conditions, like heavy winds. And that’s when you need the WDH the most.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 06:23 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
I’ll echo the support for the Andersen WDH, especially for smaller rigs. Taking yours for a “test tow” as your dealer suggests isn’t necessarily going to give you an accurate feel for extreme conditions, like heavy winds. And that’s when you need the WDH the most.
Thanks for the replies, I will need to see if I can get the Anderson WDH at my dealer. It will need to be installed by them I guess, or could I do that myself?
Old 03-14-2021, 06:33 AM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks for the replies, I will need to see if I can get the Anderson WDH at my dealer. It will need to be installed by them I guess, or could I do that myself?
Installation is extremely easy and can be done in less than an hour.

2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 08:15 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Proper sizing and adjustment of any brand WDH is key to optimizing the functionality/performance of a WDH.

A 'one-time' CAT scale visit is highly recommended performing a 3-pass weigh-in under loaded (typical ready-to-camp) TV/TT conditions and will dial-in the WDH adjustment.

CAT Scale how-to: https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...v-tt-3871.html

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote