Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-26-2020, 03:09 PM   #41

He doesn't have bars or sway bars. He has an Andersen No Sway hitch.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 03:21 PM   #42

So, does Anderson just take care of sway and NOT weight distribution?

PaulB12
PaulB12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 03:43 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulB12 View Post
So, does Anderson just take care of sway and NOT weight distribution?

PaulB12
It does both.
Old 10-26-2020, 03:45 PM   #44

Either the OP has a poorly loaded trailer, a poor installation of his Andersen, or not enough air pressure in his truck tires.
Old 10-26-2020, 03:57 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
It does both.
Man! Physics is just mind boggling!!!!!

PaulB12
Old 10-26-2020, 04:07 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulB12 View Post
Man! Physics is just mind boggling!!!!!

PaulB12
LOL yeah, there is a point where the W/D capability runs out, but not with a small trailer. I used it with 7500 and 7800 lb GVWR trailers in some serious wind.
Old 10-26-2020, 04:51 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
He doesn't have bars or sway bars. He has an Andersen No Sway hitch.
If your speaking to me about asking for scale weight. the OP can still weight with that hitch once with out tension on the chains and again with all set to roll down the road.
friend runs that hitch and he licked it, once he got it setup not sure he runs it now someone burned his truck to the ground.
imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 12:48 PM   #48
Dao

WOW some excellent advice everyone, thank you!

UPDATE: I've gone from Wimpy to Hyper-Careful...this is progress. I haven't had a chance to try all of your tips, but I started with trying to get the Anderson WDH dialed in. One thing I was doing wrong (I wrote Anderson twice to figure this out.) was making my adjustments while the weight was on the tow vehicle. Making adjustments while the vehicle and trailer are lifted a couple of inches makes a huge difference in how tight the chains get. Now my sway is maybe only 4 to 6 inches, not perfect but better.

I"m pretty sure my weight (of junk in trailer) is distributed towards the front will check again. Need to look into some place that measures the weights of everything. Also might check the shocks, they are new, but I noticed when I tightened the WDH the whole truck felt "bouncier".

Again, thanks for all the great ideas! At some point I will try them all, but taking it one step at a time.

BTW the truck is a 2018 4X4 Extra Cab with 2.7 Eco boost 10 speed. (I use tow/haul mode when towing.)
Dao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 01:03 PM   #49

Things will feel bounceier, you now have a tt helping with that bounce. And your pivot point is now at the hitch. I notice mine is bouncier, but get use to it a few miles down the road.
My rig:
2001 Ford Excursion, 7.3 diesel, 8000lbs
2016 Jayco WH 23MRB, 6500+- lbs
PaulB12
Old 10-31-2020, 05:32 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dao View Post
WOW some excellent advice everyone, thank you!

UPDATE: I've gone from Wimpy to Hyper-Careful...this is progress. I haven't had a chance to try all of your tips, but I started with trying to get the Anderson WDH dialed in. One thing I was doing wrong (I wrote Anderson twice to figure this out.) was making my adjustments while the weight was on the tow vehicle. Making adjustments while the vehicle and trailer are lifted a couple of inches makes a huge difference in how tight the chains get. Now my sway is maybe only 4 to 6 inches, not perfect but better.

I"m pretty sure my weight (of junk in trailer) is distributed towards the front will check again. Need to look into some place that measures the weights of everything. Also might check the shocks, they are new, but I noticed when I tightened the WDH the whole truck felt "bouncier".

Again, thanks for all the great ideas! At some point I will try them all, but taking it one step at a time.

BTW the truck is a 2018 4X4 Extra Cab with 2.7 Eco boost 10 speed. (I use tow/haul mode when towing.)
Yes, with the Andersen, you have to raise the tongue jack up higher than level to get slack in the chains and be able to put the pin in the connector. The tighter you have your chains, the higher you have to raise it to get that slack. I have seen campers unthread the nuts behind the red bushing springs every time they disconnect, but that is a lot more work. And you have to retread them to the same spot each time. And you still need to raise it to release pressure. Crazy. One tip: Once you dial in the tension on your chains, take a Sharpie and put a mark on the threads behind the red bushings so you’ll know exactly where to tighten them to.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 12:27 AM   #51
Dao

Just a quick update. I had been running my trailer tires at around 60 lbs even though the tires say they have a max pressure of 65. When I looked at the label on the trailer it said to set at 65 lbs. I did and it handles way better. I wouldn't think 5 lbs would make that much difference, but in my case it was a noticeable improvement.

Next I think I will lower my hitch just a bit and see what that does. Right now I"m sitting about 2 inches (or less) above level and I plan to drop it to about 1 inch below level. However, that will have to wait until next season...

Again, thanks for all the great tips.
Old 11-26-2020, 02:35 PM   #52

I am on the other end. I upgraded to D rated Goodyear Endurance tires that are rated 65 lbs. max. After running out to the Rockies I found I had hammered the inside cabinets, doors open and made a mess.

On the Goodyear site it had a PSI to weight capacity chart. Based on my weight at the scale I dropped my PSI to 55 on the tires. Runs fine and no more doors popping open or cabinet damage.

I also added a very inexpensive TPMS system to keep track of my tires. Hope it lasts longer than some of bad reviews.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 06:17 PM   #53

Quote:
Just a quick update. I had been running my trailer tires at around 60 lbs even though the tires say they have a max pressure of 65. When I looked at the label on the trailer it said to set at 65 lbs. I did and it handles way better. I wouldn't think 5 lbs would make that much difference, but in my case it was a noticeable improvement.

Next I think I will lower my hitch just a bit and see what that does. Right now I"m sitting about 2 inches (or less) above level and I plan to drop it to about 1 inch below level. However, that will have to wait until next season...

Again, thanks for all the great tips.
You never want to sit ABOVE level if at all possible. I am about 1 inch low in the front and it sure helped with sway!

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 11:48 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAurand View Post
You never want to sit ABOVE level if at all possible. I am about 1 inch low in the front and it sure helped with sway!
Agreed!

To the Op:

Level or nose down just a bit and make sure you are nose heavy, you want to make sure the trailer is loaded in a way that you don't have a bunch of weight in the back as that will make sway conditions worse. Your F150 has more than enough hitch weight with the WDH to handle that trailer.

One thing I noticed this year with the new F150 pulling the trailer, I was travelling on the highway (which I didn't do with the old TV if I could help it), I could really feel the crosswinds. Looking back everything was stable and nothing was moving at all, but I could feel it in the truck. I wasn't sure if I was just missing it or if I was just super sensitive looking for things as the TV was new and I was feeling it out. Then I drove that stretch of road without the trailer and I had the same feeling of being pushed a bit and realized that the truck is not quite as aerodynamic as the Explorer and it was getting buffeted by the crosswind (similar to when I was pulling the pop-up with the van), so it's just something I will get used to as time goes on. It will still make me look back; however, it should be the state of normal in most cases (I hope).

Colby
Eastern Ontario, Canada
2018 Jayco 212QB
2020 Ford F150 SuperCrew
colby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 01:59 AM   #55

Quote:
I"m towing a 17RK (about 3300#'s) with a 2018 F150 and Anderson WDH. The tow vehicle should be more than enough for the trailer, but when I'm going down hill or in winding conditions, I panic. Going down hill I feel like I'm being pushed and when it is windy, I feel like the rear of my truck is going to hop to one side. I see other heavier trailers happily going along without a care in the world. The most sway I see is about a 1 foot to either side in these conditions, but it just feels like something bad is about to happen. I"m new at all this, so maybe I shouldn't worry about a bit of sway and pushing. Am I just overly sensitive?
Do you have a brake controller installed? It will be a lot easier on your truck brakes. For sway control, make sure 60% of your trailer’s weight is ahead of the axle. If too much weight is behind the axle, it will be prone to sway....too much sway can cause you to lose control
Old 04-03-2021, 12:10 PM   #56
Dao

I know it can be different for different set ups, but this is what I've done, that improved my sway problem. (Thanks everyone for the tips.)
  • Inflated trailer tires to amount recommended on sticker (65lbs) was running at 60Lbs.
  • Tightened Andersen hitch while raised. This makes it way tighter.
  • Lowered Andersen hitch by one adjustment hole. About 1 inch. Now rides very slightly low.
  • Pack as much weight forward as possible. Difficult with Rear Kitchen, but throw everything else on the bed. (Thinking of removing spare tire and putting in bed of truck.)

I'm still towing a 3,000lb box, but it feels much better and even slight wind doesn't effect it. It was certainly worth experimenting with the setup.

Thanks again for all the tips.
Old 04-03-2021, 01:53 PM   #57

Quote:
I know it can be different for different set ups, but this is what I've done, that improved my sway problem. (Thanks everyone for the tips.)
  • Inflated trailer tires to amount recommended on sticker (65lbs) was running at 60Lbs.
  • Tightened Andersen hitch while raised. This makes it way tighter.
  • Lowered Andersen hitch by one adjustment hole. About 1 inch. Now rides very slightly low.
  • Pack as much weight forward as possible. Difficult with Rear Kitchen, but throw everything else on the bed. (Thinking of removing spare tire and putting in bed of truck.)

I'm still towing a 3,000lb box, but it feels much better and even slight wind doesn't effect it. It was certainly worth experimenting with the setup.

Thanks again for all the tips.
I invested in the Better Weigh module and found it to be very accurate when it comes to all the important weights and weight distributions.
joe w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 02:42 PM   #58
Dao

Interesting I've never heard of a Better Weigh module. Do you mean like the one HERE? Looks handy for a bunch of weighty questions.
Old 04-03-2021, 03:18 PM   #59

Quote:
Interesting I've never heard of a Better Weigh module. Do you mean like the one HERE? Looks handy for a bunch of weighty questions.
I would love to hear real world use reviews of it!
No CAT scales anywhere near me.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 03:44 PM   #60

I'd buy a tongue scale before that gizmo.
You can use a tongue scale, just google it.
PaulB12