Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-24-2022, 08:21 AM   #1

Anderson WD hitch Install Question

Although I have a perfectly good Husky Centerline WD hitch (similar to Equalizer) I am seriously considering changing to the Anderson hitch. I especially like the reduced weight as well the simpler connect/disconnect procedure.

That being said my question for anyone with a 166FBS: What is the approximate distance from the coupler ball center to the frame mount brackets? I cannot find this anywhere I have checked. I want to make sure before purchasing that there will be no interference with any of the existing welded brackets.
2006 RAM 3500 Dually (still have)
jmckelvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 08:33 AM   #2

When I installed mine I just put the hitch on the Jeep, attached the triangle plate and chains. Then installed the backets where the chain ended up with just enough room to thread them on a bit. No exact measurement. But if you are wanting exact measurements I would call Andersen and ask. They have great customer service who are in USA and really answer questions. I will measure mine and give you the figures as our tongues are very similar. ( and our trailer hitches are too, LOL)

Center of ball to front edge of bracket is 29 inches on both sides. Mine are tilted slightly, maybe 1/2 inch forward at bottom of bracket.

I wold install and test them with just the tightened bracket pin to make sure good before welding.

Hopefully, someone else will measure and confirm mine are correct.

Note: I have see that Andersen sells extra chain links and I think I remember reading that you can cut off a link or more if really needed. I would call Andersenn on that.

Post your results for others!
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 10:50 AM   #3

Thanks Roger! 29 inches is perfect! My existing brackets front edge are right at that so should not be any issues with the Anderson hitch.

Now I just need to decide when I want to drop another $600 bucks for the Anderson since I have a perfectly good hitch now. Might make it an early Christmas present.
2006 RAM 3500 Dually (still have)
jmckelvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 12:00 AM   #4

On my 166FBS, the brackets landed just wrong for the solar plug. Since Jayco does not appear to have any standardization of where they put that plug it may or may not be a problem. Since you have welded brackets there already if I were you I would put the Andersen brackets behind them (if they will fit) and extend the chains. The fact that yours are welded sounds like you are aware that a bit of walking can be a problem and with the Andersen if it walks it does so by indenting the bottom of the frame.

Andersen suggests some spot welds to stop that, but I would think your existing brackets would take care of it. Andersen says the chain can be 2 links shorter, or any number of links longer. They sell quick links, but I bought some on Amazon - 3 inch stainless, 10mm. In my case, inserting the links into the second link from the end essentially lengthened my chain by 1/2 link.

Andersen makes a longer bracket for use with underslung couplers like we have. I have not seen anyone but Andersen themselves offering that as part of a package, and I didn't know about them when I purchased. I didn't like the angle on the chains in the bracket because it didn't let them move freely, so I ponied up the extra cash to buy the brackets after the fact. The longer brackets of course increase the leverage against the frame, making a weld or something else a good idea. In my case I did something I haven't seen anyone else attempt - I put a 5/16 grade 8 bolt through a drilled hole in the frame at one of the unused bracket holes, then steel 5/16-5/8 steel spacers since the bracket holes are 5/8. Mine are not going anywhere!
Past: 2015 Winnebago View, 2004 Blue Bird M380, 1990 Blue Bird WB40, 2003 Safari Zanzibar, 1998 Safari Sahara

DonBr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 05:46 AM   #5
Site Team

Moderators Note!

This conversation started as the op wanting info on a Anderson WDH for pulling a travel trailer. Some good info on the other Anderson products for attaching a fifth wheel to a truck bed but is is completely off the original subject.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 09:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Moderators Note!

This conversation started as the op wanting info on a Anderson WDH for pulling a travel trailer. Some good info on the other Anderson products for attaching a fifth wheel to a truck bed but is is completely off the original subject.
Ah yes, the drive by post where they don't read what the actual question is, they just post.

I saw that, thanks for moving it.
IG @Pedal_withus
Youtube: Pedal With Us.
This is Jayco Camper #5 for us. 20 years of Jayco's.
rollingrockTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 08:51 AM   #7
CAG

Quote:
Moderators Note!

I read it and unfamiliar with the rig assumed it was a 5th wheel. Guess I should have looked up the trailer he was talking about. The information concerning calling Andersen was good even at that.

That is why photos help make a decision on what advice to give.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 09:28 AM   #8

Quote:
Moderators Note!

THANKS! I started to think I was crazy and read the question wrong and gave a WDH answer to a 5th wheel question.

Old 09-27-2022, 11:10 AM   #9
Site Team

It's all good!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 06:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmckelvy View Post
Thanks Roger! 29 inches is perfect! My existing brackets front edge are right at that so should not be any issues with the Anderson hitch.

Now I just need to decide when I want to drop another $600 bucks for the Anderson since I have a perfectly good hitch now. Might make it an early Christmas present.
I called and ordered directly from andersen and gave me a bit of a price break. Worth a try. Good luck
Old 10-09-2022, 09:07 AM   #11

Andersen gave me a deal when I upgraded from the old style cone and triangle plate to the new style that works better.
They also were super good when I broke an Andersen leveler (looks like an 18 inch long comma) and they fast shipped it to me while traveling!
Just can't say anything but good about Andersen customer service.

Old 10-09-2022, 12:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano View Post
I called and ordered directly from andersen and gave me a bit of a price break. Worth a try. Good luck
What model Andersen did you order for your 166 ?
I ordered the 3350D model , with the extended brackets . They are supposed to be better for our underslung coupler style trailer frames on the Micro's, as per DonBr .

I had to call them, because its a special order kit. The nice guy said they were in stock and would ship out the next day ........ that was about 3 weeks ago. No e-mail confirmation , nothing. Called them and he said they were on back-order and should ship out soon .

They charged my CC about 3 weeks ago, and I think I got a discounted price with free shipping as well , but dont know for sure if I will be getting charged another time when it finally ships out . We are leaving for a trip in about 2 weeks and I figured ordering this hitch a 1 and a hlaf months before our trip would be plenty ........I dont know now.

Will be giving them another call tomorrow !
boatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 01:24 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatguy View Post
What model Andersen did you order for your 166 ?
I ordered the 3350D model , with the extended brackets . They are supposed to be better for our underslung coupler style trailer frames on the Micro's, as per DonBr .

I had to call them, because its a special order kit. The nice guy said they were in stock and would ship out the next day ........ that was about 3 weeks ago. No e-mail confirmation , nothing. Called them and he said they were on back-order and should ship out soon .

They charged my CC about 3 weeks ago, and I think I got a discounted price with free shipping as well , but dont know for sure if I will be getting charged another time when it finally ships out . We are leaving for a trip in about 2 weeks and I figured ordering this hitch a 1 and a hlaf months before our trip would be plenty ........I dont know now.

Will be giving them another call tomorrow !
My TT is a different model also underslung tongue and important to order the right hitch for that tongue. I've also found the last couple of years you don't expect to find somthing in stock. I am surprised they said is was in-stock and then backorder. Good luck