Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-17-2015, 05:23 PM   #201

Quote:
Originally Posted by iplumb View Post
My manual says that I can use the City water connection to fill my tank... Is this true? I'm not seeing a by pass. If not the tank fill is on the passager side which would mean you have to either use a hose or go through the filling station backwards. Am I missing something?
I don't think it is. The manual is written for the entire Jay Feather line and I don't think we have that option. Although I am fine with someone proving me wrong.

As far as i know, it's city water fill to use a direct water connection and the gravity fill to fill the tanks. It's been nice to have it on the awning side as that way when you're filling a few days into a stay, you're standing where there is room rather than standing in the bush which often happened to us with our PUP. Getting chewed by mosquitoes while filling the tank sucked.
Old 05-18-2015, 10:08 AM   #202

SilverEscape is correct, I went outside and looked at our light/fan and its the one with the white clips.
Greenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 12:35 PM   #203

Thx
iplumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 07:57 PM   #204

I've found a few parks that are set up for the gravity fill on the driver's side. I guess 90% of trailers have their gravity fill on that side? That is the only time I find it a nuisance to have the gravity fill on the curb side.
Old 05-22-2015, 07:39 AM   #205

Quote:
Originally Posted by chent View Post
Has anyone had the need to lock the cargo/bottom bunk door in such a way so that it cannot be opened from the inside?

We're trying to figure out the best sleeping arrangements for our kids, and the concern is with the toddler being able to open that door.
I've been struggling with this same dilemma now since buying the trailer. We've camped twice, and each time I was constantly worried about it. And the dealer told me it could be locked from the outside as a selling point when I asked, but I didn't think to actually see how that was done before purchasing and bringing it home. Anyway, I did come up with a solution that I think will help.

For about $7 at Home Depot, I bought a chain type hotel lock. I mounted one side to the thickest wood area towards the bathroom, and the other in the bottom corner of the door. Because you're mounting into the soft plastic of the door and whatever insulation sits behind it, I squeezed a little epoxy into the holes first to give the screws a little more to hold them in. Placement for me was specific, but you can do this anywhere along the door and wall below the bottom bunk. Also, if you mount the slide piece vertically like I did, the chain will never come out while towing. Although I'll still check the latch when getting to camp sites because I'm OCD...

Depending on what you want and if mounted correctly, you could open the door an inch, slide your fingers in from the outside, and lift the chain off. Since I don't really ever use this door, and I don't want anyone else to be able to open it so easily if the lock is picked while my 2 yr. old is in there, I put mine in where the door can open a little, but not enough to open it from the outside.

As for safety exit concerns, I think this works well because my son isn't going to exit himself in an emergency right now. And in a couple years when he does understand, I can teach him how to get out that door if he needs to. Basically, just kick it. It's a strong enough latch today to keep him in, even if you lean against it. But in an emergency, the screws in the door will never be tight enough to withstand a good hard kick.

Hope that helps, and here's a photo of the five minute job.
Attached Thumbnails
photo.jpg  
Adam&Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 01:36 PM   #206

What storage covers are you guys using? How have they held up? I would like to try and keep the sun off our new camper.
Old 05-25-2015, 07:02 PM   #207

We use an Adco (I think that's the name) that we bought at Camping World. It does a great job keeping sun and dirt off our X213. Watch some you tube videos of how to put it on and take it off. We didn't and had a hard time at first. After watching a few videos, we learned better ways to do it.
galakelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 07:04 PM   #208

Thx, I was looking at those on Amazon. What size did you get?
Old 05-31-2015, 05:50 AM   #209

And what do you do with the radio antenna under the cover?
Old 05-31-2015, 06:06 AM   #210

Quote:
Originally Posted by iplumb View Post
And what do you do with the radio antenna under the cover?
Lower it, just loosen the one screw at the end of the antenna.
Old 10-08-2015, 07:17 AM   #211

New 2016 x 213 owner

Getting our 2016 x213 delivered in a couple weeks! Wondering if anyone can recommend a bunk ladder? Also, which covers are the best? Thank you!
CareyAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 09:38 PM   #212

Congrats! Welcome to the X213 family! (and Jayco family too! )

Here's a thread with ladder ideas for the X213 http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...eas-26801.html

By covers, do you mean RV covers? If so, I'm no help there, we don't cover ours with anything but snow. LOL
Old 10-16-2015, 04:20 PM   #213

Side mirrors questions

Hi, all picking up our 2015 x213 at the end of the month with our 2011 Traverse. Any suggestions on extensions for our side mirrors? I've seen some clip ons at the dealers RV shop, but none that list traverse as being compatible. Thanks, all!

Also do regular twin and King sheets fit ok or should I buy the clips to keep the corners on?

Btw.... Reading this forum from first post to last I got to say, I think we will be very pleased with this trailer! And what a great bunch of post-ers! I love the ladder ideas and hearing others talk over concerns with the access/bike door and a young child has made me feel much better!
2015x213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 10:34 AM   #214

any x213 owners out there??

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2015x213 View Post
Hi, all picking up our 2015 x213 at the end of the month with our 2011 Traverse. Any suggestions on extensions for our side mirrors? I've seen some clip ons at the dealers RV shop, but none that list traverse as being compatible. Thanks, all!

Also do regular twin and King sheets fit ok or should I buy the clips to keep the corners on?

Btw.... Reading this forum from first post to last I got to say, I think we will be very pleased with this trailer! And what a great bunch of post-ers! I love the ladder ideas and hearing others talk over concerns with the access/bike door and a young child has made me feel much better!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Traverse have a 5200# towing limit with a 600# max tongue weight? If so, you'll be over limits with this trailer. The GVWR is 5500# and it's not hard to hit that. Then our tongue weight is around 770#, not including 60# for our WDH (which is a light one, most are closer to 100#).

Having had an SUV with similar limits when we bought this trailer, it wasn't hard to see the vehicle wasn't up to the task so we sold it and bought a truck.

We use the Milenco Aero mirrors, and they work on our truck and they worked on our SUV (not a Traverse). And we bought king and twin sheets from IKEA and they are fine. I don't know what clips you are referring to, but we don't need anything special for corners.
Old 10-17-2015, 02:14 PM   #215

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverEscape View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Traverse have a 5200# towing limit with a 600# max tongue weight? If so, you'll be over limits with this trailer. The GVWR is 5500# and it's not hard to hit that. Then our tongue weight is around 770#, not including 60# for our WDH (which is a light one, most are closer to 100#).

Having had an SUV with similar limits when we bought this trailer, it wasn't hard to see the vehicle wasn't up to the task so we sold it and bought a truck.

We use the Milenco Aero mirrors, and they work on our truck and they worked on our SUV (not a Traverse). And we bought king and twin sheets from IKEA and they are fine. I don't know what clips you are referring to, but we don't need anything special for corners.
Thanks, SilverEscape! We are cutting it close and well aware! But still having the hubby go over the specs again before we drive it off the lot! Dry camping won't be happening and we will be hauling it with very little water in, enough to flush a couple of times and wash our hands only. Mostly it will just be the two of us and 3 yr old, on one or two night trips locally, so I think weight will not be a problem, at least not one that we haven't anticipated!
Old 10-17-2015, 02:40 PM   #216

any x213 owners out there??

Quote:
Thanks, SilverEscape! We are cutting it close and well aware! But still having the hubby go over the specs again before we drive it off the lot! Dry camping won't be happening and we will be hauling it with very little water in, enough to flush a couple of times and wash our hands only. Mostly it will just be the two of us and 3 yr old, on one or two night trips locally, so I think weight will not be a problem, at least not one that we haven't anticipated!

We don't haul water and we're at 5500# loaded. The tongue is heavy on these trailers. The tongue, with an empty trailer and without propane, battery or spare tire weighs just over 500#. And you'd need it to be around 500 so you have weight room to add the WDH. Adding propane and battery is 60ish pounds, then spare tire, then any additional weight loading the trailer adds. You will be over on tongue weight if your limit is 600#.

There aren't any specs that will tell you the loaded tongue weight before you leave the lot. You don't know these things until you actually weigh it.
Old 10-17-2015, 07:13 PM   #217

Quantum... Thoughts on this? From previous posts, I see you are pulling the x213 with a Traverse...we are getting a blue ox WDH.
Old 10-17-2015, 07:20 PM   #218

To answer 2015X213. We use a fitted King sheet on the slide out and it works fine. For the bunks we use dorm length twin sheets.

I am looking to get an ADCO cover and was wondering what size I will need. If anyone has one that they found to fit right could you please help out with the size?
micron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 08:08 PM   #219

Quote:
Quantum... Thoughts on this? From previous posts, I see you are pulling the x213 with a Traverse...we are getting a blue ox WDH.
According to Quantum's signature, they own a 2010 model. The 2015 is not the same. I am quite certain the actual dry weight is heavier (they come in around 4300-4500# from the factory), and the tongue weight is also heavier. I've been looking at this trailer since 2008 and back then people talked me out of it with our SUV with similar capabilities to yours. And the trailer is heavier now and with a heavier tongue weight and yet I still thought we could make it work. Wrong.

We had to pull both propane tanks and our spare tire and put them inside the trailer even to tow it home (6 hour drive home). Even then, the tongue was too heavy for our SUV (remember, the WDH adds weight and we have the light Andersen. Yours is heavier.)

Also, even if you load light, and keep it at 5200 loaded (and that's assuming your vehicle can actually town 5200 once loaded with passengers and gear and any accessories you've added to the vehicle; most can tow less after anything but a 150# driver), your tongue is still to heavy for a vehicle with a 600 pound tongue limit. Towing at a 10% tongue is the bare minimum and as I said, this trailer leans towards a heavier tongue, but even at 520, with a 100 pound hitch, you're at 620 which is over your 600 max.

Here, right from your 2011 Traverse manual on page 9-50, Maximum trailer weight is calculated assuming only the driver is in the tow vehicle and it has all the required trailering equipment. The weight of additional optional equipment, passengers and cargo in the tow vehicle must be subtracted from the maximum trailer weight.

This means that you can't even tow 5200 pounds if you have added anything to the vehicle at all, and have any other passengers. So you need to subtract your weight, your child's weight, your child's car seat weight, diaper bags, etc. from the weight you can tow. You're likely looking at not being able to tow more than 4800# or so.

There should be a sticker inside the driver's door with yellow on it that says something like "passengers and cargo can never exceed X pounds", that is what you can actually carry for everything in the vehicle that didn't come from the factory (i.e. anything dealer added is not included) including your trailer tongue and WDH. So that number is a good starting point. Take it, subtract your husband's weight, your weight, your child's weight, the car seat weight, and see what you are left for allowable tongue and WDH hitch weight. That doesn't account for anything else in the vehicle though, but it gives you a starting point. Even with that though, *if* your hitch only allows a 600 pound tongue weight max, I don't see how you can stay under that. Go read the stickers on your hitch to see what the max tongue weight is.

Sorry, I don't mean to belabour the point, but I've already been there done that and made the same mistake. If I can save someone else from putting themselves in an unsafe position, I will do my best to do so.
Old 10-20-2015, 03:23 PM   #220

Smile Thanks, SilverEscape

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverEscape View Post
According to Quantum's signature, they own a 2010 model. The 2015 is not the same. I am quite certain the actual dry weight is heavier (they come in around 4300-4500# from the factory), and the tongue weight is also heavier. I've been looking at this trailer since 2008 and back then people talked me out of it with our SUV with similar capabilities to yours. And the trailer is heavier now and with a heavier tongue weight and yet I still thought we could make it work. Wrong.

We had to pull both propane tanks and our spare tire and put them inside the trailer even to tow it home (6 hour drive home). Even then, the tongue was too heavy for our SUV (remember, the WDH adds weight and we have the light Andersen. Yours is heavier.)

Also, even if you load light, and keep it at 5200 loaded (and that's assuming your vehicle can actually town 5200 once loaded with passengers and gear and any accessories you've added to the vehicle; most can tow less after anything but a 150# driver), your tongue is still to heavy for a vehicle with a 600 pound tongue limit. Towing at a 10% tongue is the bare minimum and as I said, this trailer leans towards a heavier tongue, but even at 520, with a 100 pound hitch, you're at 620 which is over your 600 max.

Here, right from your 2011 Traverse manual on page 9-50, Maximum trailer weight is calculated assuming only the driver is in the tow vehicle and it has all the required trailering equipment. The weight of additional optional equipment, passengers and cargo in the tow vehicle must be subtracted from the maximum trailer weight.

This means that you can't even tow 5200 pounds if you have added anything to the vehicle at all, and have any other passengers. So you need to subtract your weight, your child's weight, your child's car seat weight, diaper bags, etc. from the weight you can tow. You're likely looking at not being able to tow more than 4800# or so.

There should be a sticker inside the driver's door with yellow on it that says something like "passengers and cargo can never exceed X pounds", that is what you can actually carry for everything in the vehicle that didn't come from the factory (i.e. anything dealer added is not included) including your trailer tongue and WDH. So that number is a good starting point. Take it, subtract your husband's weight, your weight, your child's weight, the car seat weight, and see what you are left for allowable tongue and WDH hitch weight. That doesn't account for anything else in the vehicle though, but it gives you a starting point. Even with that though, *if* your hitch only allows a 600 pound tongue weight max, I don't see how you can stay under that. Go read the stickers on your hitch to see what the max tongue weight is.

Sorry, I don't mean to belabour the point, but I've already been there done that and made the same mistake. If I can save someone else from putting themselves in an unsafe position, I will do my best to do so.
So, ultimately, we contacted our dealer and cancelled our pick up and they are sending us our full down payment. We are certainly disappointed, but relieved we were able to avoid an unsafe situation. After a weekend of furtive research, we came to the same conclusion, SilverEscape. Thanks for your advice!