Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-20-2015, 06:39 PM   #221

Its a shame you had to cancel your order. Have you looked at the Jayco Swift 184BH or the new 2016 version called the 174BH? StarCraft has a lighter weight version of the X213 that they call the Launch 19BHS. Also StarCraft is under the same parent company ownership as Jayco, uses the same cabinetry and appliances and now carries the same 2 year warranty. Anyway I hope you find a camper that you're happy with and works for you. Best of Luck!
micron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 07:37 PM   #222

Quote:
Originally Posted by micron View Post
Its a shame you had to cancel your order. Have you looked at the Jayco Swift 184BH or the new 2016 version called the 174BH? StarCraft has a lighter weight version of the X213 that they call the Launch 19BHS. Also StarCraft is under the same parent company ownership as Jayco, uses the same cabinetry and appliances and now carries the same 2 year warranty. Anyway I hope you find a camper that you're happy with and works for you. Best of Luck!
We will definitely take a look! Thanks for the suggestions!
2015x213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 09:15 PM   #223

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2015x213 View Post
So, ultimately, we contacted our dealer and cancelled our pick up and they are sending us our full down payment. We are certainly disappointed, but relieved we were able to avoid an unsafe situation. After a weekend of furtive research, we came to the same conclusion, SilverEscape. Thanks for your advice!
One on hand, I am glad that you didn't end up with something that was too much for your vehicle. But on the other hand, I kinda of wish your post had said that you traded up for a truck and still had the X213 coming! Ha ha!

The Launch 19BHS looks nice. The GVWR is better on it but would max you out at the limit, but better than the X213. The tongue may still be your limiting factor.

Are you sure you don't need a new vehicle?
Old 10-20-2015, 10:22 PM   #224

SilverEscape ... Nope, not trading! Love my traverse bc it handles like a car but seats 8...., Which is really handy when I haul my nephew and nieces! Lol

We decided to finish paying off the traverse and either go with a class c w. Bunks...or get a truck that can pull anything and get the trailer of our dreams!

Shame it didn't work out, bc I think it would have been perfect otherwise. The perfect size for the 3 of us, but big enough to have the extended family come along.
2015x213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 09:57 AM   #225

Does anyone tow their X213 with a Ford Explorer? It says towing capability of 5000lbs. I know it will be cutting it close, but the dealership and General RV says it's fine...

We have a 2016 X213 being delivered next week and currently have a 2013 Ford Explorer with no tow package and looking to trade it in for another Explorer or similar suv. My husband has a 2008 GMC Sierra which will pull it just fine.
CareyAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 10:47 AM   #226

Quote:
Originally Posted by CareyAnn View Post
Does anyone tow their X213 with a Ford Explorer? It says towing capability of 5000lbs. I know it will be cutting it close, but the dealership and General RV says it's fine...

We have a 2016 X213 being delivered next week and currently have a 2013 Ford Explorer with no tow package and looking to trade it in for another Explorer or similar suv. My husband has a 2008 GMC Sierra which will pull it just fine.

You won't be close; you'll be over. Over on frontal area limit (which is 40 sq ft for a 2014 Explorer), over on tongue weight (max 500 for 2014 Explorer with class III tow package), I suspect over payload as well and likely over rear GAWR.

http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/g...orer_Sep11.pdf

My '15 X213 has a yellow sticker weight of 43xx pounds and all the 16's I've seen are heavier. It's easy to get this trailer to max 5500# (which is over an explorer's towing limit) and it's a tongue heavy trailer as well.

I know because we had a 5000# max towing capacity trailer when we bought the X213 and had to sell it and get a truck. Even with the spare tire, propane and power tongue jack removed, the tongue was still over 500#. And with the whole family in, we are close to payload and rear GAWR on our truck when towing this trailer.

I'd stick to using the Sierra to tow it. Double check his payload max on the driver's door sticker and know what your family and cargo weighs before you buy the trailer. Then you'll know if you have enough payload left for the X213. I'd consider the tongue about 750# in any calculation you do as from my experience, that number is not inflated.
Old 02-28-2016, 11:32 AM   #227

No way would I even atemp to pull a X213 with an Explorer. I almost don't like the way my 2012 1/2 ton 4x4 crew cab Sierra pulls it....
iplumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 02:41 PM   #228

Quote:

I had a 2004 Explorer with V8, tow package, and 3.73 rear end. Towing capacity was rated at 7120. After three trips in my new X213, I sold it and bought a 2010 long wheelbase Expedition. I couldn't be happier.

On paper, my Explorer was more than capable, and I never lacked power or torque. But towing a 24' trailer with a narrow 15' tow vehicle was the problem. I always felt like I was being bullied by the trailer, therefore I was always a nervous driver. And worse, with a good WDH and sway bar, I still felt like I was going to blow off the road by every passing car. Just my experience, but based on it, I would recommend a longer and more tow capable truck.
Adam&Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 05:51 PM   #229

I have a 2014 1500 Silverado Crew Cab with a 5.3L engine and 3.42 gear ratio. I keep finding different limits online for what it's actual capabilities are. From what I can tell, it looks like I should be fine with the x213 but I'm not sure. New to trailers and want to make sure I'm not overloading either the truck or the camper.
PackFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 06:10 PM   #230

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackFan View Post
I have a 2014 1500 Silverado Crew Cab with a 5.3L engine and 3.42 gear ratio. I keep finding different limits online for what it's actual capabilities are. From what I can tell, it looks like I should be fine with the x213 but I'm not sure. New to trailers and want to make sure I'm not overloading either the truck or the camper.
Here is the Chevy 2014 Trailering Guide https://www.chevrolet.com/content/da...de_1113.13.pdf

Find your vehicle on page 9 and you can see what your theoretical maximums are (seems 1200# is max tongue load for all). Then use your yellow sticker on the driver's door to see what your max payload is. If you have anything added to your vehicle since factory, i.e. bed cover, running boards, etc. that reduces your payload. So get an idea of what those things weight and subtract them off your payload to know what's left. Then subtract off the weight of all passengers and if you have an idea of any other gear you might carry in the vehicle. This will give you an idea if you have enough left for the tongue weight of the X213. I would ensure you had at least 800# left for the tongue. This will give you a guesstimate of whether or not the X213 will work with your truck.

We've got just over 1500# of payload (heavily optioned 1/2 ton), and our X213 tongue weight is around 760 pounds IIRC. The trailer is basically at its max 5500#. We aren't heavy packers, but we've got 3 kids so we take a minimum of 4 bikes with us and we have been packing all the food in advance, and canned food and drinks are heavy! We are a light family, the heaviest of us is 145# and 3 out of the 5 are theoretically not growing anymore. We've got a bit of room left for payload, and that has to be saved for the 2 that are growing.

Take a pic of your payload sticker, as it also has axles max on it as well and I'm sure you'll get some helpful comments as to whether it looks promising for you.
Old 02-28-2016, 06:46 PM   #231

Quote:

Hi, you will be over with the Explorer and don't let the dealer convince you otherwise. If your vehicle never came with the tow package, it is likely your tow rating will be lower, simply adding a hitch to you SUV isn't enough, you will need a transmission cooler, brake controller, look at your axle gear ratio and if the alternator has sufficient capacity to handle the additional electrical load and not to mention that your passengers and cargo you carry in the Explorer decreases your tow capabilities by the same amount. if your passengers and cargo are say 800 lbs and your tow rating is 5000 lbs, you only have a 4200 lb limit. Please understand that any cargo that you put in the bunk storage area of the TT increases the tongue weight. I highly recommend using a weight distribution hitch. The Sierra will definitely be capable since I tow mine with a 1/2 ton Dodge Ram. Congrats on your new X213, they are a great trailer. I have had mine for 4 years now with very little issues.
Old 02-28-2016, 06:52 PM   #232

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverEscape View Post
Here is the Chevy 2014 Trailering Guide https://www.chevrolet.com/content/da...de_1113.13.pdf

Find your vehicle on page 9 and you can see what your theoretical maximums are (seems 1200# is max tongue load for all). Then use your yellow sticker on the driver's door to see what your max payload is. If you have anything added to your vehicle since factory, i.e. bed cover, running boards, etc. that reduces your payload. So get an idea of what those things weight and subtract them off your payload to know what's left. Then subtract off the weight of all passengers and if you have an idea of any other gear you might carry in the vehicle. This will give you an idea if you have enough left for the tongue weight of the X213. I would ensure you had at least 800# left for the tongue. This will give you a guesstimate of whether or not the X213 will work with your truck.

We've got just over 1500# of payload (heavily optioned 1/2 ton), and our X213 tongue weight is around 760 pounds IIRC. The trailer is basically at its max 5500#. We aren't heavy packers, but we've got 3 kids so we take a minimum of 4 bikes with us and we have been packing all the food in advance, and canned food and drinks are heavy! We are a light family, the heaviest of us is 145# and 3 out of the 5 are theoretically not growing anymore. We've got a bit of room left for payload, and that has to be saved for the 2 that are growing.

Take a pic of your payload sticker, as it also has axles max on it as well and I'm sure you'll get some helpful comments as to whether it looks promising for you.
Pictures not working On mobile but here is what I have:

Max Cargo: 1726 lbs
GVWR: 7200 lbs
GAWR: 3950 (both front and back)
Old 02-28-2016, 07:32 PM   #233

Quote:
Pictures not working On mobile but here is what I have:

Max Cargo: 1726 lbs
GVWR: 7200 lbs
GAWR: 3950 (both front and back)
I think the GAWR for the rear concerns me more than the payload; you may hit it before payload. My front is 3900# and my rear is 4050#, we were over it one trip and then moved some stuff to the trailer after we discovered that. But we had barely had weight room in the trailer. I think you may hit that before payload? Someone else may have a better idea of that.

Any idea of how much your family weighs? (include dogs and other pets if they are coming along!), and if you have extras on your truck?
Old 02-28-2016, 08:03 PM   #234

Quote:
I think the GAWR for the rear concerns me more than the payload; you may hit it before payload. My front is 3900# and my rear is 4050#, we were over it one trip and then moved some stuff to the trailer after we discovered that. But we had barely had weight room in the trailer. I think you may hit that before payload? Someone else may have a better idea of that.

Any idea of how much your family weighs? (include dogs and other pets if they are coming along!), and if you have extras on your truck?
I am 220. My wife is 130. Then the combined weight for the 2 little ones is 50 (this will go up obviously in the future as one is 3 and the other is 6 months. My dog is 15 lbs. so overall, not much yet. I have running boards, tonneau cover and spray in bed liner.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2016, 08:08 PM   #235

Quote:
I am 220. My wife is 130. Then the combined weight for the 2 little ones is 50 (this will go up obviously in the future as one is 3 and the other is 6 months. My dog is 15 lbs. so overall, not much yet. I have running boards, tonneau cover and spray in bed liner.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Honestly, I think you'll be fine as long as you watch what you put in the bed as the kids grow. For now, you're likely easily fine, unless you've got ATV's or something in the bed. As they grow, your truck and trailer might as well. Seems to be the X213 is likely about perfect you for now!
Old 02-28-2016, 08:18 PM   #236

Quote:
Honestly, I think you'll be fine as long as you watch what you put in the bed as the kids grow. For now, you're likely easily fine, unless you've got ATV's or something in the bed. As they grow, your truck and trailer might as well. Seems to be the X213 is likely about perfect you for now!
Thanks for the info!! I appreciate it and will just need to experiment with loading it when the times come. My gut told me that if I had issues, they would come with what I put in the bed plus the toungue weight. Have a good night!
Old 03-04-2016, 07:36 PM   #237

My X213 will blow the 30a fuze on the front at the battery if we run the slide in or out. I've been told that Jayco's fix for this is a 40a fuze. Not sure what I think of that answer. Before my trailer goes out of warranty in the next year does anybody else's do this? Its fine if we're plugged into shore power.
Old 03-04-2016, 08:21 PM   #238

Mine x213 is a 2016, and I have not blown my fuse when opening the slide. But I have maybe opened it a few times without being hooked up
cassmann1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 02:58 AM   #239

Never had the fuse blow on mine, I always leave it plugged into my truck when I open or close the slide. only time it blew a fuse was when the power tongue jack died and I had it replaced under warranty. My dealer put a heavy duty Atwood 3500 as a replacement and I tell you it raises and lowers the tongue so much faster.
Old 03-05-2016, 03:05 AM   #240

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassmann1 View Post
Mine x213 is a 2016, and I have not blown my fuse when opening the slide. But I have maybe opened it a few times without being hooked up

Mines a 2015 Could you do me a favor and see if yours came with a 40a fuze in it? It's the main fuze at the battery.