Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-07-2016, 09:35 PM   #321

Thanks - I have a 4awg currently.
PackFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 09:37 PM   #322

Way over kill, but won't hurt.
bcosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 11:26 PM   #323

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackFan View Post
Hey everyone. I picked up a couple of 6V interstate GC2 batteries at Costco today and wanted to find out what battery boxes seem to work best for these. The height looks like it's going to be very tight. Also, what size wire should be used to jump these? I had a post saved and I can't find it anymore.
Thanks in advance!
I just bought the same batteries and ran into a problem mounting them on our 2016 x213. The got two of these battery boxes from Amazon: http://amzn.com/B00316KU6E There didn't seem to be any other viable options for a box.

The problem was that these boxes don't fit on the tongue battery area without hitting the front of the trailer. I ended up having to cut down the height of the box by about 1/2" and then cutting the top back corner of the box cover at a 45 degree angle and using Gorilla tape to cover the hole. It was a huge pain the butt, and not a very good solution, but unless you make yourself a custom box or leave the batteries uncovered... there's not much else to do about it.

I also added a few more things to the battery setup to make it nicer. I got this battery cutoff switch: http://amzn.com/B005DUUL9W which is helpful, but the really cool thing was this: http://amzn.com/B013PKYILS . That shows the exact voltage of the battery and most importantly the amp usage. VERY useful when dry camping.
Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 03:34 PM   #324

Do you have a picture of yours installed? Do you think the gorilla tape is going to hold out the moisture or is it something your going to have to maintain?

This is the box I decided to order because it seemed the smallest out of the ones I could find in terms of height and width: http://www.amazon.com/Powerhouse-Battery-Box-Group-Gc-2/dp/B004RCV1TG
I still don't know if it will fit. I will find out tomorrow. Also, good to know on the accessories!! I saw those too and thought they would be a great addition! Amazon is a growing sickness in this house.
Old 05-09-2016, 03:36 PM   #325

Quote:
Originally Posted by iplumb View Post
Anybody that has a 2015 X213 have a Maxxair cover? Is there room for one between the vent, and the skylight above the tub? I was just getting ready to order he Maxxair ll but I want to make sure there is room. Thanks
I have a 2015 with Max Air 2 on it. I will see if I can get a pic of it later today.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:15 PM   #326

Just an FYI for anyone else looking into this. This box http://www.amazon.com/Powerhouse-Bat.../dp/B004RCV1TG fits perfectly on a 2015. The back edge of the box is beveled so you're not having the full height issue if it were square. Sorry to blow up the page the last few days but wanted to share the info. You can find them much cheaper than Amazon after looking a little further into it.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:53 PM   #327

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackFan View Post
Just an FYI for anyone else looking into this. This box http://www.amazon.com/Powerhouse-Bat.../dp/B004RCV1TG fits perfectly on a 2015. The back edge of the box is beveled so you're not having the full height issue if it were square. Sorry to blow up the page the last few days but wanted to share the info. You can find them much cheaper than Amazon after looking a little further into it.
Cool. I'll switch over to those once my tape starts failing.
Old 05-11-2016, 09:24 AM   #328

Has anyone upgraded their converter/battery charger to a "smart" charger? I heard there are some Jayco converters that just need an add-on to upgrade it.

edit: Hmm... it looks like the one installed has a built in smart charger with 4 modes. It's the Progressive Dynamics PD4045. http://www.progressivedyn.com/all_in_one_pd4000.html But whenever I check the voltage, it's 13.6v. Any thoughts on this?
Old 05-12-2016, 10:09 AM   #329

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilde View Post
Has anyone upgraded their converter/battery charger to a "smart" charger? I heard there are some Jayco converters that just need an add-on to upgrade it.

edit: Hmm... it looks like the one installed has a built in smart charger with 4 modes. It's the Progressive Dynamics PD4045. Mighty Mini Compact AC/DC Power Distribution Panel But whenever I check the voltage, it's 13.6v. Any thoughts on this?
From the FAQ's section..."Electronic converter/chargers first convert the 120 VAC 60 Hz from the outlet to 120 VDC after it passes through Diode Rectifier #1, the Capacitor then filters the ripple voltage. This 120 VDC voltage is then fed to an Electronic Switching Circuit that converts it to back to AC and increases the frequency from the original 60 Hz to 3,500 HZ. This high frequency AC voltage is now fed to a step-down transformer where the output voltage reduced to approximately 13.6 volts AC and Diode Rectifier #2 converts the AC to 13.6 Volts DC and the Capacitor filters out the ripple."
Jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 09:03 PM   #330

New owner checking in!

Gratuitous picture of our setup:

Got a question -- I have three keys for this thing (with duplicates). One black key for the shower and outside cargo hatch. Pink key for the human door and the cargo door on the left. And another pink key, which I can't figure out what it goes to. I must have missed it in the PDI, and now I'm confused. What else locks on this thing and uses the second pink key?
Rootus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 09:12 PM   #331

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootus View Post
Gratuitous picture of our setup:

Got a question -- I have three keys for this thing (with duplicates). One black key for the shower and outside cargo hatch. Pink key for the human door and the cargo door on the left. And another pink key, which I can't figure out what it goes to. I must have missed it in the PDI, and now I'm confused. What else locks on this thing and uses the second pink key?

Yours is different than ours. We have 3 keys. One is man door, one is bike/cargo door and other is small storage and shower. None of ours are pink. Ours is 2015.
Old 05-15-2016, 12:18 AM   #332

Congratulations Rootus! For my 2016 X213 One pink key is for the entry door and the other pink key is for the cargo door. A total of four pink keys. I drilled holes through the tops of the two pink keys for the cargo door and left the entry door keys whole so I can tell them apart. Hope I didn't explain that in a confusing way!
Roadhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 08:02 AM   #333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhound View Post
Congratulations Rootus! For my 2016 X213 One pink key is for the entry door and the other pink key is for the cargo door. A total of four pink keys. I drilled holes through the tops of the two pink keys for the cargo door and left the entry door keys whole so I can tell them apart. Hope I didn't explain that in a confusing way!
Thanks for the information, that's interesting. Both my cargo door and entry door are keyed off the same pink key (okay, DW pointed out that it's really purple). Guess I'll just toss the extra keys into the junk drawer and not worry about it.
Old 05-16-2016, 01:56 PM   #334

Congratulations Rootus! I just bought a x213 too and have 3 different keys like others. As a side, I lived in Portland at NE7th & Alberta Ave. for 10 years. Moved to Michigan 4 years ago.
Anyway, I was posting today because I installed a 30amp outlet to the side of my house this weekend (photos attached) for my 2016 X213. When I plug it into the new outlet I'm getting a high frequency sound emanating from the trailers electrical panel; one specific circuit. The circuit is the upper right most 15amp circuit in my panel (photo included). I can't make sense of the electrical panels label but the sound is coming from the 15 amp circuit turned off.
As you can see in the image I include a power surge protector inline and both lights are on green. From the heavily modified outlet cover you can see this is a DIY install but it's not hard to run this 120 volt circuit. The electrical system in the trailer is very much still a mystery to me but I'm learning. The conductor from the panel is 8/2 running about 35ft. Any ideas what's going on?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5205.jpg   IMG_5202.jpg   IMG_5201.jpg  
Old 05-16-2016, 07:51 PM   #335

New X213 owner

Hi all,
picking up my new X213 Friday, purchased site unseen and haven't seen in the flesh yet. Not new to campers, but this is the first hardside/slide out we've had. If there's anything I should be on the lookout for with this model, new off the lot, any feedback would be appreciated. Very excited. Coming from a slide in pop up, then a toy hauler off-road pop-up, and now this. Seems like a very versatile rig. Towing with a 3/4 ton diesel that still has overload springs from the slide in days (tongue weight won't be an issue at least). Anyway, already seen some great feedback on here, looking forward to contributing.
watermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 08:23 AM   #336

Congratulations watermonkey! I picked my '16 x213 up a couple weeks ago sight unseen too. I'm brand new to this however. At any rate, I've learned a few things already the hard way. The trailer comes standard with a power hitch. This hitch often blows the 12v/30amp fuse that's just past the battery and between it and your power panel. Ideally they would install this fuse right after the battery so it can fit inside the plastic battery box. That makes sense right? Well the dealer I purchased my trailer from decided to put it way down-line behind the spare tire so I have to literally lay down to get to it and it's right in the path of water flying off my back tires - see attached picture. I've since purchased extra fuses but really need to rewire it at the hitch.
Also, if using a weight distribution hitch, be sure to wear gloves and/or be more mindful to avoid injury when tensioning the chains. I fractured my thumb the first time I tried tensioning the chains cause the pole I was using wall way too short, the chain slipped and WHAM!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4824b.jpg   thumb fracture.jpg  
Old 05-17-2016, 11:24 AM   #337

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorgen View Post
The trailer comes standard with a power hitch. This hitch often blows the 12v/30amp fuse that's just past the battery and between it and your power panel.
I pulled this fuse when I parked the trailer just to avoid any parasitic drain, and I noticed that mine is 40A. I wonder if my dealer changed it from 30A? They did add another battery as well ("we put an extra battery on all trailers we sell that have slide-outs") although it seems to be just a normal 80Ah battery, nothing special. They also gave me a free BBQ and portable fire pit, but refused give me even a cheapo sewer hose . Buying a Rhinoflex anyway, but still.
Old 05-18-2016, 08:25 AM   #338

How is the clearance under the X213?

So, coming from an RT14 off road pop-up, I've grown used to decent clearance under the camper. Granted, I've been towing with an F250, so I'm not rock crawling or anything like that, but we do (and will) continue to get out there. This TT is only 2 ft longer than the RT14, so I'm somewhat familiar with turning radii and we will physically be able to maneuver into/out of. With the axles towards the rear of these units, it will help with tail drag to an extent, but has anyone done or looked into a lift kit or flipping the axles (trunnion)? The little brother of the X213 is the Starcraft 19bhs, which we considered, but is considerably smaller and more scantily outfitted. On the other hand, it has a lot more clearance underneath. I understand the con's of raising the center of gravity and the effects on towing, but also don't want to be hanging up and ripping stairs and leveling jacks off either. Sometimes, and inch or two (insert joke of choice here) makes a big difference.

Jorgen, thanks for the feedback. I bet that hurt like a mother when you fractured your thumb - definitely a tool throwing moment. I think for the rest of your life you'll need to hold a cold, adult beverage in that hand to ward off arthritis in that thumb. Cut a thumb hole in the beer coozie to keep the digit cold, and apply often and frequently.
watermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 10:33 AM   #339

They use torsion bar suspension, so nothing to flip under there.
You can purchase complete axles that have a 2" lift for big $$, or get some plates made up to lower the existing axles.
Attached Thumbnails
120890848.jpg  
rodandmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 10:25 AM   #340

Prepping for the maiden voyage

We just got our travel trailer a couple weeks ago and set it up and began accessorizing it. It's a Used 2015 Jayco X213 (Used lightly for a year) and it's in fantastic shape inside and out. I found a couple areas where Jayco cleary cuts some corners but nothing that wasn't easily remedied. This thing tows like a dream and doesn't even seem like it's there on the back of my F-150.

Right off the start I needed a couple mods. A bunk ladder for the kids. Also, since many of the places we plan on going don't have hook-ups I was going to add a couple solar panels to keep the batteries fresh so we could run the water/flush and run lights/heater at night as needed.

I did make a nice ladder for the bunk, it ended up costing about 1/2 of the ugly ones you can buy (the build is on my website. restrictedayerspace dot net

Once I get the solar install done and documented I'll post that up here too.

Anything to watch out for in terms of leaks or areas to watch out for?

Sorry about the first pic being rotated - it looked ok before I uploaded it.
Attached Thumbnails
Photo May 08, 5 41 59 PM.jpg   Photo May 08, 5 39 11 PM.jpg  
X213_2015 is offline   Reply With Quote