Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-04-2017, 07:50 PM   #481

I have a 2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7 L V8 with tow package and Tekonsha P3 brake controller and E2 WDH. Tows , no sway at all . I drive not faster than 60 mph.
Safety First.
wvcmgbv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 08:42 PM   #482

A 20 ft rino sewer hose fits in the rear bumper
Old 08-05-2017, 06:12 PM   #483

power tongue jack

Hello fellow X213 ers,
Has anybody installes an electric powered tongue jack and what brand did you buy ?
Tired of cranking in the manual jack to unhook the WDH and the hitch.
Old 08-05-2017, 11:14 PM   #484

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcmgbv8 View Post
Hello fellow X213 ers,
Has anybody installes an electric powered tongue jack and what brand did you buy ?
Tired of cranking in the manual jack to unhook the WDH and the hitch.
Mine came with a power jack. Don't know the brand.

2016 F-150 XLT 4x4 Super Crew 3.5L Ecoboost
2017 Jay Feather X213
RPreeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 01:21 PM   #485

22+ National Parks this summer (52 consecutive days) ~12K miles of driving with about 8.5K miles towing the X213. about 1/3 of that time was spent in BLM/Sate/National Park campgrounds with no-hookups (Solar FTW!). Not something I'd want to do full-time with the wife and two kids in a trailer this size but this trip was doable and fun!. I'm planning on sharing my lessons learned/tips/tricks and issues I ran into along the way. Been back for only a day and a half. It was a blast!

40 consecutive days without rain. When it did rain it rained on the campsite while we were not there but not on us...or while we were driving (with the exception of the last two nights). It was unseasonably cool when it should have been 100+ and warm and clear when it should have been cool and rainy! Full report to follow!

https://www.instagram.com/gowest_goeast/
X213_2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 07:07 PM   #486

Newbie in Central Oregon

I just purchased a 2010 X213. I love the layout. I was looking at the Outback 21RS and didn't even know the X213 existed until I found the one I purchased on Craigslist. Love that the Jayco slide is powered and not manual like the Outback.

I've read a bunch of the threads on the slide and will be lubricating it.

Just checked the brakes and they will all need replaced as the PO lived up a very long very steep hill and the drums where the magnet rides are really pitted, and the magnets themselves are rounded on the ends.

Wondering were people add a second battery? I know these are tongue heavy and I really don't want to add one on the front unless that's the best/only option.

I've already added a shelf to the cabinet next to the Microwave and the outside storage area. Removed the cover under the couch and have put a bunch of clear bins in there with a bungie holding them in place.

The motor on the Ventline fan was super noisy. I pulled it apart and found one of the magnets had come loose from the shell of the motor. Some epoxy and I'm back in business!!

I'll be adding a bunk ladder to the wall next to the bathroom door like I've seen done on there.

Has anyone put 14" tires on theirs? I'd like the extra height as well as additional margin of load rating.

I saw another owner in Oregon made a file for a lift plate. I can't seem to find that so anyone with the link to that thread, I'd appreciate that.

More to come I'm sure.

Tim
Madchap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 11:23 AM   #487

I've been thinking about the whole dual 6-volt setup, and still undecided. We haven't burned through a single tank of propane yet, but we're just weekend campers, so far. So my idea is to remove one of the propane tanks and go with dual 6-volts. A 20 gallon propane tank weighs 30 pounds, so it could be a good trade-off weight-wise. Or, we might go with a larger 12-volt Group 27 battery instead of the standard Group 24. I guess it depends on what you're going to do. A lot of boondocking (dry camping), or mostly full or partial hook-up site camping.
Daleallenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 12:57 PM   #488
Lost in the Woods

Tongue weight

I mentioned this a few months ago, but has anyone actually measured the tongue weight on their X-213? Mine without any cargo up front is around 1000 LBS !! That's insanely high considering the dry weight is around 4500 LBS. It tows nice down the road, but this is way beyond the recommended 10-15%. I don't know why Jayco would have installed the axles so far back considering the x-213 has such a large cargo area up front.
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 02:13 PM   #489

@Daleallenc - It really depends on the type of camping you do in the end. I just did a 52-day stint in my X213 with the family. The 2 tanks were filled last year @ the dealer (supposedly) - I really don't know how much LPG was actually in there. We did a couple weeks (off grid) last year and about 14 days off grid out of the 52. Both tanks emptied (the last one about 10 days before we headed back).

We ran the propane on the road between sites (in some cases 5-8 hr drives) - we spent about 10 days (hour wise) on the road out of the 52 days in addition to the 14 off grid. The rest of the spots had at least electric (about half had electric but no sewer or water). The GAS was also used for cooking (inside on the range and outside on the grill through the low-pressure port). We even used the range to make Pizza one night and brownies another night. The hot water heater was switched off when we were away and at night - turned on in the morning for AM dishes and in the evening for evening dishes and sometimes in the afternoons for showers (we didn't do this much - but there a few days we did outside showers and my daughter washed her hair in the sink almost every day. So expect about a bottle a month under moderate usage in nice weather. We ran the heat for 15 minutes one morning and that was it. The days we all took showers - those were the days it didn't float - that water pump - running for a while takes a bit of juice.

If you plan to boondock a lot or you are running your heater a lot expect to use more - boondocking I definitely wanted 2 bottles - who want's their food to spoil when one tank runs out?

On the battery - after 52 days (plus the couple weeks last year) - I think a dual 6-v setup would be a waste on an X213. I have the 200W solar setup on my blog. Not a single battery issue the whole trip. Ran lights, when needed kept them off when not. Vent fans (I have a VortexII in my bathroom) all day/all night (it was 105* in Yakama during the day and 65* at night - BLM camground - no hookups). In the morning my battery still read 100% and almost every day my batteries were up float charging before the sun went down. If I was going to camp in colder weather or where rain was frequent I might consider it - but the damn thing is heavy enough already.
Old 08-25-2017, 10:59 PM   #490

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daleallenc View Post
I've been thinking about the whole dual 6-volt setup, and still undecided. We haven't burned through a single tank of propane yet, but we're just weekend campers, so far. So my idea is to remove one of the propane tanks and go with dual 6-volts. A 20 gallon propane tank weighs 30 pounds, so it could be a good trade-off weight-wise. Or, we might go with a larger 12-volt Group 27 battery instead of the standard Group 24. I guess it depends on what you're going to do. A lot of boondocking (dry camping), or mostly full or partial hook-up site camping.
I carry two 6 volts Interstate batteries in my truck and do the hook up using wing nuts at site when we dry camp for extended period and I swapped out the dealer supplied group 24 replaced it with a Group 27 from Costco. I back this up with my 120 watt portable folding solar panel and with my Champion 3100 watt inverter generator on those less than ideal days when there isn't enough sun for solar.
Old 08-28-2017, 12:36 PM   #491

@X213_2015, I totally agree it's about the type of camping you're going to do. I bought our X213 from a Navy sailor. He told me they towed it, and camped in, all the way from the Washington state coast to the South Carolina coast, with his wife, young daughter, and dog, in the winter. He also said that not only did they use all of the propane in the TT tanks, but he carried two extra 20 lb tanks in the TV, that they used and refilled several times.
Daleallenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 06:24 PM   #492

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno View Post
I mentioned this a few months ago, but has anyone actually measured the tongue weight on their X-213? Mine without any cargo up front is around 1000 LBS !! That's insanely high considering the dry weight is around 4500 LBS. It tows nice down the road, but this is way beyond the recommended 10-15%. I don't know why Jayco would have installed the axles so far back considering the x-213 has such a large cargo area up front.
Ours is around 725# I believe, possibly closer to 750#. That is with one battery, 2 propane tanks, the electric tongue jack and the chains/mounts from our Andersen hitch. We carry 4 bikes in the bunk area and the wardrobe has a metal IKEA 4 drawer unit it, every drawer filled to the bring with clothing, and then about 8 beach towels. Front cargo area has 2 bins of tools and sewer stuff. And the trailer is pretty close to the 5500# max weight when loaded.

What year is yours? Ours is a 2015.
Old 08-29-2017, 03:01 PM   #493

These are some of the most versatile travel trailers made. You can fit the trailers in tiny sites that would normally only fit a popup, but still sleep 6 people. My only minor complaint has been the low clearance; however, it does result in very smooth towing.

I happen to have a 2013 for sale if anyone is interested - just time to move up in size for a family of 6....

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f1...213-50385.html
Dave Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 07:02 PM   #494

weight capacity of the bumperbed slide on x213

getting ready to get a better mattress but it will be much heavier than the oem. Does anyone know the weight capacity of the bed slide on a x213.
franks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 07:09 PM   #495

yes, just bought one in may
franks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 07:20 PM   #496

I think the bed slide can hold up to 1000 lbs
Old 09-29-2017, 08:51 PM   #497

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcmgbv8 View Post
I think the bed slide can hold up to 1000 lbs
I thought it was 1200? It's right about there though anyway. But it depends on model year as I believe older models had a lower weight threshold.
Old 10-06-2017, 07:40 PM   #498

Label on my 2012 is 1100 lbs
Old 10-08-2017, 11:58 AM   #499

Can you send some pictures from you installation or a write up on the routing from the wires. I would like to install the battery shut off switch instead of pulling the 30 Amp fuse all the time. Thanks.
Old 10-16-2017, 01:57 PM   #500

So I would like to report...our summer vacation was EPIC! 12,500 miles (8,500 of towing) w/ 22 National Parks and other points of interest along the way. All towed with a 2011 Ford F-150 V8 SCREW, wife and two kids. We dry-capmed about half of the 52 days we were gone, experienced unseasonably warm and cool temperatures, Earthquakes, wildfires and had 42 consecutive days without rain. Yes the X213 is a little tight for two adults and two teens for this long but in all we had an awesome trip with very few problems.

The solar performed absolutely awesome without us getting below half of the battery. The only days it was drawn down to half way where when we were dry camping and everyone decided a nice shower (outside) was in order. Other than that (and favorable weather) we had zero issues, used night lighting as we needed it and enjoyed our trip.

Problems:
1) Fridge Burner for some reason got plugged up heading into Yakima River Valley (103-105* during the day 60's at night). I caught it on the way in managed to clean it by soaking it in rubbing alcohol and blowing it out. It then worked admirably for a week or so before it plugged up again. After "servicing" it several times I broke down and went to camping world and picked up a new burner ($45 there/$35 on Amazon Norcold Burner Orifice Kit). If you fridge gets cold plugged in but not on GAS chances are your burner is clogged or your vent is blocked.

2) Car jacks are inadequate for jacking up a trailer. Yes the trailer was disconnected from the TV. but my F-150 jack could barely get it off the ground. I needed to use all the stabilizer jacks, a spare stabilizer I had and the truck jack to get the camper off the ground enough to get a tire that was punctured off. Deflating the damaged tire and the spare allowed me to get it back on and then air it back up. This same process at home with a proper bottle jack took me 10 minutes instead of an hour. I used one similar to this 12 Ton Bottle Jack. Might be a little overkill. The 4-way lug wrench was also a nice to have as well.

3) Ripped off a stabilizer. This one was a little iffy to begin with and I clipped some debris on the ground with it backing into my second campsite. Easy to replace - glad I had my impact driver to make it go fast.

4) 2 campsites where the RhonoFlex 15' hose was not enough. Had to purchase a 10' Extension which stores in the bumper attached to the 15'. Pull out the 15' and disconnect if it's enough - otherwise get the full 25'

5) A few screws loosened up on the outside of the camper. I expected a few to loosen up...and these were easy enough to tighten back down. Most were square drive through so I had to grab a bit at Wallmart.

Pics: Dry Camping @ Panguitch Lake Elev. 8660' and Crossing Powder River Pass Elev. 9666' I'll be writing more on my blog when I can find a few moments regarding planning, campgrounds and issues encountered along the way.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3880.jpg   IMG_2723.jpg