Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-09-2013, 04:07 PM   #1

Anyone add a roof vent to thier whitehawk?

The Whitehawk dsbh only has one roof vent in the bathroom. Just wondering if anyone added one to the main area or bedroom. we do alot of boondocking and it gets real stuffy. Thinking of putting another vent (or Two) in. How could I be sure whats inside the roof before I start cutting?
blkcorvair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:45 PM   #2

I just added a Max-AirTurbo-max fan over the bathroom vent. I don't know which White hawk you have, but our bathroom in in the rear of our White Hawk 26dsrb. [ATTACH][/ATTACH][ATTACH][/ATTACH]
US Army
VN.71-72
RickAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 05:59 AM   #3

Wow.....I hope I'm not driving behind you when the $h*t hits the fan [ATTACH][/ATTACH]
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:44 PM   #4

I added a fantastic fan vent unit to my 30DSRE that also had the only vent in the bathroom. Also added a maxair vent cover at the same time. No need for a 2nd vent since you can easily control air flow to any area of the TT by selectively opening windows with the hi power vent fan on exhaust. It is really amazing how much air that thing moves.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:31 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkcorvair View Post
The Whitehawk dsbh only has one roof vent in the bathroom. Just wondering if anyone added one to the main area or bedroom. we do alot of boondocking and it gets real stuffy. Thinking of putting another vent (or Two) in. How could I be sure whats inside the roof before I start cutting?
We had the dealer remove the "beanie propeller" fan from the bath of our 27DSRL and replace it with Fantastic thermostatically controlled model and a MaxxAir vent cover. The fan indeed moves a lot of air through the trailer with an open window, except in the bedroom where there are no windows that can be opened, except the emergency exit window. Despite the fact it has a screen on it, it cannot be used for ventilation as there is no way to open it (for ventilation) except for its intended purpose. I don't get why there is an emergency exit window in the bedroom when there is also a door that takes you directly outside without the risk of bustin' your butt that might occur if you bail out of that exit window.
thomasmnile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 09:45 AM   #6

Pretty easy to rig the bedroom [emergency] window to open part way. It does seem unnecessary to have the escape window when there is an exit also, but am wondering if it is a safety requirement to have one in bedrooms.
Old 12-21-2013, 01:26 PM   #7

The window over the sofa in the 27DSRL can be used for ventilation but is also set up as an emergency exit, and its right across from the main door. Must be that u have to have a way to get
out on each side.
2010 Jayco JayFlight 26BH sold
Yamaha EF2000is Generators (2)
1996 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
Nighthawk 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 03:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Pretty easy to rig the bedroom [emergency] window to open part way. It does seem unnecessary to have the escape window when there is an exit also, but am wondering if it is a safety requirement to have one in bedrooms.
It's not 'single use' window, as in if you operate it to escape a fire it falls to the ground? The tech performing our PDI when we took delivery explained how to use the emergency exit windows but told us not to operate them in the 'emergency' mode unless it was the real deal. I know the bedroom escape window in our old fifth wheel was the 'use once and done' type.
Old 12-21-2013, 03:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk 96 View Post
The window over the sofa in the 27DSRL can be used for ventilation but is also set up as an emergency exit, and its right across from the main door. Must be that u have to have a way to get
out on each side.
The exit window in the living/dining slide operates differently. The sliding vent window in that assembly is also a real !@#$*& to open without draggin' the screen along with it. Still haven't found the cure for that condition...............
Old 12-21-2013, 03:21 PM   #10

Never heard of a one and done emergency window. Have always thought that at age 65, I might be "done" if I ever had to wiggle out that way, but how or why the window would fall out?
Old 12-22-2013, 08:21 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Never heard of a one and done emergency window. Have always thought that at age 65, I might be "done" if I ever had to wiggle out that way, but how or why the window would fall out?

The reason I ask is I have seen posts in another forum from folks reporting their emergency exit window has literally fallen out of the frame while towing. True, the WhiteHawk's bedroom exit window is hinged and looks like it could be opened and secured again. In our previous fifth wheel, the bedroom exit window had two red handles IIRC. I never tried to open so I don't know what happened when you moved the handles. I am quite sure there would be no graceful exit through that thing to the ground, though...............