Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-01-2015, 10:39 AM   #1

Anyone cleaned gas jet on Jayflight Norcold fridge

So my 2012 185 RB jayflight slx, has fridge problems , it won't light on gas, works great on 120 volt and 12 volt. I am fairly handly and have worked on propane fridges before (old VW bus fridge I converted to cottage fridge)
So I have confirmed that this Norcold 3 way fridge has sparker working (I can see the blue sparks with burner cover off) I definetly have gas going to bypass pilot lighter because I can light some gas in there with a bbq lighter stuck in there, but the gas flames location (with red buttion held down by my wife) is actually occurring back along burner outside the tin box somewhat ...so my guess is that the gas orifice for the actual burner feed is plugged. I did vaccum out alot of rust and road dirt when I opened the access panel to back of fridge, and I further used compressed air to blow the crap out of the area..........but access to this whole burner area is really tight.
I have viewed a few you tube videos and there are "similar" frdges, but not exactly the same, so in theory I suspect I need to somehow access the orifice , but I suspect I need to remove alot more parts . has anyone else done this on these smaller Norcold fridges ? The tin box that is left after I remove the tin box cover and the one screw still leaves a tin box with three sides and so still seeing the burner end is impossible it seems. I dare not loosen the gasline nut that goes into the tin box without knowing I am heading in right direction. thoughts anyone ?

Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 10:52 AM   #2

YUP!

On our first boondocking, the fridge would sorta work on gas and then quit on the first overnight. Eventually, I found the aluminum filings from the gas tube had clogged the burner orifice.

I removed the burner from the fridge. Then bent the tip of a safety pin to poke the jet clear via the air intake holes. Reassembled. Been fine since!

And all the hair has grown back on my right hand. There are good ways and bad ways to find a clog in a gas line. I discovered one of the bad ones.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 11:15 AM   #3

thanks Mike , when you state "I removed burner from the fridge".......are you saying you just took the tin cover off, or did you take apart more?

I do see the 3/4 inch air intake slot on the end of the gas feed line (because that is where the gas ignites now instead of at the burner end) but maybe I can bend a pin and put it in there but it would be blindly hoping you hit the hole...even as I type this I have to figure you took it further apart ? Did you ?
Old 09-01-2015, 11:32 AM   #4

On the back of the tin box (chimney) is an observation hole that is generally kept closed.

The burner assembly enters the chimney from the left and is held in by 1) the gas line and 2) an almost invisible sheet metal screw.

Disconnect the gas line (fridge on 120VAC) and remove the screw to wiggle the burner assembly out.

I was able to clear the orifice at that point. But, according to the manual, the brass jet parts can separate from the stainless steel burner.

And proud of it!
Old 09-01-2015, 11:41 AM   #5
Site Team

I removed mine once by taking the gas line off and removing the screws needed to pull the orifice and gas tube out. I was able to blow compressed air thru it in the opposite direction after pushing a very small piece of stranded wire thru it. It has worked flawlessly since.

Caution: do not do anything to enlarge the orifice.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 11:46 AM   #6

The almost invisible screw !!! .........Okay that is the one I will look for and then I suspect I will be able to access the way you and Norty1 did. ......now I got to find a brighter flashlight !!!! smile
Old 09-01-2015, 11:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
...snip....

Caution: do not do anything to enlarge the orifice.
An just what is so wrong with an inefficient orange flame, sooty combustion and excessive carbon monoxide emissions?

And proud of it!
Old 09-01-2015, 12:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
An just what is so wrong with an inefficient orange flame, sooty combustion and excessive carbon monoxide emissions?
On a grill, it will ruin an entire meal...don't ask me how I know.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 06:42 AM   #9

I looked at it again the other night and found those hidden screws .....even one for the thermocouple retainer.........EXCEPT ! that you need hands the size of a baby to get in there, and then you need a flexi screwdriver (which I don't have), so trailer went to the shop (40 mile round trip) yesterday.......I will report the results in a few days when I get it back.
Old 09-03-2015, 06:50 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
I looked at it again the other night and found those hidden screws .....even one for the thermocouple retainer.........EXCEPT ! that you need hands the size of a baby to get in there, and then you need a flexi screwdriver (which I don't have), so trailer went to the shop (40 mile round trip) yesterday.......I will report the results in a few days when I get it back.
I take exception at "need hands the size of a baby". My hands are men's medium. What you need is lots of Band-Aids for the numerous cuts from the sheared metal when you manage to get your fingers free again.

I've been fixing cars since I was a kid. And stuffing fingers into tight places just to get that last...stinking...bolt....was a routine activity.

And proud of it!