Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-06-2020, 10:00 AM   #1

Anyone replaced their Black Tank on a 174BH?

The black tank that was installed by the factory is only about 9.5 Gal according to the manual and my measurements. That is way too small to do any dry camping. I was looking into a tote but a bigger tank would be even better! The newer models have a bigger black tank than the earlier models, so I assume it shouldn't be too difficult to retrofit a bigger tank. Anyone tried this?
oeastham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 09:01 PM   #2

I suggest you recheck those specs. My 2019 154BH has a 20 gallon black and 20 gallon grey tank, and the Jayco site shows the same for the 174BH (listed as 19.9 gallons each).
AnacortesArmyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 04:11 PM   #3

I have a 2015 174BH, the spec sheet I got with the trailer AND my measurements confirm that it's a 9 Gal black tank. Filling the tank to the top with water and draining into a bucket won't fill a 5 gal. bucket twice! By looking under the trailer, there's a lot of room to install a bigger tank. I'll look into it in the spring after the trailer comes out of storage.
oeastham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 06:02 PM   #4

Measure the space you have between the cross members and the frame rails and the most important is the location of the toilet connection.
I would contact Jayco and see if they have a larger tank for you.
I have a 145rb and my concern is the bent sheet metal brackets that are screwed into the floor from under I am going to flip the axel and construct a new bracket to carry the load.
I have a 20 gallon tank and get about 4-5 days before we need to empty
Old 11-09-2020, 07:28 PM   #5

I assume, but I might be wrong, that if the frame layout between a 2015 model with a ten gallon tank and a later model with a twenty gallon tank is the same, then upgrading to the larger tank is certainly doable.
AnacortesArmyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 03:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debdon Journeys View Post
I would contact Jayco and see if they have a larger tank for you.
I have a 145rb and my concern is the bent sheet metal brackets that are screwed into the floor from under I am going to flip the axel and construct a new bracket to carry the load.
I have a 20 gallon tank and get about 4-5 days before we need to empty
If you run into problems with Jayco or your dealer is getting the tank with them asking for a SN or VIN, go do a search on say RV Trader for the first year with the 20 gallon tank in your model and use that VIN. I helped another user on here with getting the 30 gallon fresh tank for a 195RB that is used in the Baja and did that.
brwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 02:23 PM   #7

Thinking about doing the same thing as we have a 2016 174BH with 9gal tank as well. We bought a 35gal portable tank that we dump into and we can do about a week between wife and I with current setup. I know to dump grey water with the manufacturer installed 15gal tank when I see water coming up into tub LOL.
Fire&Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 08:11 AM   #8
TWX

Dumb question, but what's the first year of the change to a 20 gallon tank?
TWX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 02:42 PM   #9

Black tank year change

I'm just guessing here, but I'm going with 2018. Because BTM, Black Tank Matters.
Fire&Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 10:10 AM   #10

I have a 2014 184bh and it has a 9 gal tank. Thought I had a leader but when pulled the toilet found they had just put light silicone grease on the threads going into top of tank. I put 2 layers of Teflon tape then silicone grease on outside of tape . NO MORE LEAKS FROM TOP OF TANK. That said, we purchased a 27 gal tote tank and I think it is great. Pulls like a red wagon with 4 wheels and front 2 swivel with handle. Thetford. I am almost 66 and have pulled it uphill when almost full.
Charles
Charles in WV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank retrofit