Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-21-2013, 07:00 AM   #21

I have a 184bh and love it. We have a 4Runner as a TV so our choices were limited....but the big must have was bunks (we have 2 young children).

Positives:
- ideal size for towing and fitting into more confined campsites
- simple setup and uncomplicated systems
- i prefer the aluminum exterior over fiberglass
- bunks are perfect for the kids

I won't call the following "negatives", but like a wish list for my next trailer:
- a hitch receiver for a bike rack
- larger fridge
- outside shower

We are fair weather campers - so we are outside during most of our stay - which means we don't need a Taj Mahal to hang out inside. Its simply a place to sleep and cook and the 184 meets the mail on all accounts.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:48 AM   #22

We bought a 2013 184bh in June. The first time out the a/c didn't work, even though it worked during the walk-through. Had to drive over 100 miles back home that night and lost 2 nights in fees. We noticed the inside leakage from bringing it home from the lot. Ours has the 5000btu a/c. It was in service for three weeks and they had to replace the a/c. Had them caulk the a/c, because of the inside leakage I read about on this site. Went camping two more times and the a/c worked fine, no leakage and were happy campers after a big disappointment in our choice and service. On our 4th trip (to the Smokies} we had no hot water. It is back at the service dept. Valve was bad. How could it work twice and just die? They've had it for a week and we hope to pick it up today. Thanks goodness it is under warranty. At first, I thought buying the TT was the biggest mistake we had made. The campground in Cosby, Tn had a dishwashing station, so we had a place to wash the dishes and a great bathhouse, so it all turned out well. We will have them run the heater while we are at the service place to see if it will work before bringing it back home. Anyone have trouble with the heater? I did look at other campers at the dealer, with the thought that we have a lemon. But, it is still the best one for us. We love the fact that it can be pulled by a van and is easy to get around in. It was bought for just me and my husband and two labs. But, last weekend my husband and son had to go to the UT/Ky game in Knoxville and we combined the trip with the family. The guys went to the game Sat, my daughter-in-law, granddaughter and I drove 12 min to Gatlinburg and had a day of fun. The weather was perfect, campsite right on a rushing stream. They spent Fri and Sat nights with us and we had a blast. Never thought it would work, but, we put a cot in the van for one person with the dogs. Gotta love those dogs. Best time I have had in a long time. We haven't been able to go camping as much I we would like (a lot of rain here). We have put jacks on the front, 4" memory foam on the bed, TV antenna booster for TV. Cutting board modified to cover stove for more counter space. We still have many things that we want to do, but it is an adventure. Even with the problems we have had, it has been fun. The size, cost and layout works for us perfectly. We are always the smallest camper in the camp grounds and we get these "looks". LOL I have found so many good ideas on this site. Thanks everyone.
GBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:27 AM   #23

thanks very much GBrown and simonj, really appreciate the feedback. Despite the problems people have, everyone still seems pretty happy with the 184. And I guess for the size, cost and layout there aren't too many other choices. I have googled around looking at used trailers to save some $, but there seems to be very little in this weight category. Thanks again.
jamie beers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:53 AM   #24

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
If your expectations are an entry level unit that fits the budget then you won't be disappointed. If you want a unit that is built like a tank, uses bigger framing, and has residential grade cabinetry and construction then you'll never be a happy RV owner unless you have the coin for a 15k pound camper that costs $100k. IMHO for a bit more weight and a bit more money the full Jayflights are a great camper. The Swift competes with Gulfstream Amerlite and the Wildwood life models - they are all the same, purpose built and rough around the edges.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:30 AM   #25

Hi Jamie,

We also have a 184, but the queen bed not bunks. It is just the wife and I with 2 dogs. We used to tent camp (prior to dogs) and the wife was interested in getting an RV. I decided to rent one to show her that it's a pain (she just wanted to be able to use the bathroom while going down the road) Luckily, after a trip down Skyline drive in VA, she realized it would be nice to "drop off" everything and then be able to put around in the car instead of having to pack up everything (and i made her drive it too...that lasted until the next pull-off!) We've only been on one trip, but plan on going away next weekend and another trip in mid-October, and another trip around thanksgiving. So far we love it.

As for getting a TV, there are a million options. We looked into upgrading to a pickup truck, but i wanted to get a 3/4 or 1ton, but starting around $40k was way to much for me. Luckily my Equinox has plenty of power to pull (but not much weight on stopping) There are plenty of mid-size SUVs that can tow the smaller SLXs. When the Equinox dies (hopefully not anytime soon) I might consider the GMC Acadia or Chevy Traverse. You might say I'm partial :-) But Toyota Tundra also seems to have quite a bit of power, as well as the new Ford F150 v6's have the 300hp V6 that can also tow 10k lbs.

Good luck with your decision!

~Nick
NicknSarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 10:06 AM   #26

I think jayco make very good trailers, I have a jayco quest pop up over 10 years no problems,I do keep good care of it. I think you will be fine.
steve76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 01:01 PM   #27

We just finished our second outing with a 2013 SLX 154BH and it's been great. No leaking AC, all systems OK, easy to maneuver, set up and take down. My only complaint is the heavy table but since we're outside unless it's raining (and it rained a lot this past Sat!) we just leave it made up into the bed. There's more storage than the two of us need for our weekend trips. When the grandkids come along, which is why we went with the BH, that will change. This time we were right on the water on Lake Allatoona in GA and it was gorgeous (and good fishing too).

Click image for larger version

Name:	camp_victoria_Sept.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	10186Click image for larger version

Name:	camp_victoria_waterside.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	10187Click image for larger version

Name:	camp_victoria.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	10188
Old 09-30-2013, 01:59 PM   #28

thanks everyone for your feedback!
jamie beers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:37 PM   #29

Just finished my 3rd camping trip in a 2013 Jayco Swift 184BH. I bought it second hand, it had been used once by the previous owners who decided it was too small after one trip. I didn't buy the warranty and the original factory warranty didn't convey. I've had a few minor issues which I corrected. Some screws in the dinette seat weren't all the way in and some were really crooked. An end panel was coming off the dinette bench which I glued and re-nailed with trim strip brads and my handy brad gun. All the appliances are working well. One really weird thing; I noticed before my recent camping trip that the tempered glass on the front of the trailer was fractured in place. I have no clue how this happened as it was parked in my driveway with the protective cover locked down over it. I didn't have time to get it replaced so I covered it with clear contact laminating plastic on both sides and sealed it to the frame with packing tape. I re-closed the protective cover and shut the blind on the inside. It did the trick and kept the glass from crumbling all over the dinette/bed. It did break away from the frame, however. I had a mobile glass guy over today and if I go with the clear glass as opposed to the tinted, it will cost me around $200.00 as opposed to $400.00 for the tinted (tinted tempered glass was original). I'm going with the un-tinted glass! I can always put a $10.00 plastic tint film on it if it's an issue. I wanted him to use plexi-glass instead but he said it has to be tempered glass because it's a safety regulation. I wish it had drawers but I make do with plastic containers in the cupboards. The two major advantages to a small, light weight trailer is that my 6 cylinder Tacoma tows it easily and it fits in campgrounds that have twenty-foot max restrictions on TT length. It's great for one or two adults and four large dogs. I wouldn't want to try it with four or five people! I don't like cooking in it because it's cramped and lacks counter space. I just bring my propane stove and cook outside where I have plenty of space. I use a picnic table screen room and even cook outside in the rain. I did notice after my last camping trip that the dinette table is starting to sag from the weight of large adults sitting on it while it's in the bed position. I will probably make a new table out of wood and use the hardware (legs) from the existing particle board table at some point. Do I wish I had a bigger TT? Yes! Do I want to deal with a larger TT? No! Because it's so light weight, I expect to have to repair and replace some interior (non-structural) wood framing components over time when some large, inebriated friend plops her or his posterior down with a thud! It could happen! LOL!
Islandfirl is offline   Reply With Quote