Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-26-2021, 05:37 AM   #1

Are slide-outs the new self-propelled lawn mower?

PREFACE:
Think back to when you cut grass with a normal push mower. Now think back to when you mowed your grass with a self-propelled mower. Is it me or did our self-propelled mowers go in for service about double what our push mowers did? Popular Mechanics had an article a few years back discussing the current state of our infrastructure but the crux of the article can be applied to almost anything mechanical & that is the more complicated something is, the more it is apt to break.

So, let's look at two lite travel trailers. I'm using lite TT's since this is the forum I am in but this can be applied to anything with a slide-out. They can be any brand & the only thing different between the two is that one has a slide-out & the other doesn't. From the research I have done, it seems anything with a slide-out is more apt to have some type of issue [whatever x issue is - can be anything related to the slide-out] x2 more so than units without a slide-out.

What do you all think?
BNSSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 06:43 AM   #2

IMHO, I do prefer not to have a slide.

When I was in the market for a new TT in 2014 & 2015, I could not find one without a slide unless it was 18 ft. or less.

My motto - "less is more."
1996 Viking Pop-up
1979 Coleman 8 man cabin tent
1967 G.I Joe (hasbro) canvas pup tent
THE MEEKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 07:12 AM   #3

I don't have a slide on my current trailer. I wanted no slide for less maintenance, less to break, less weight, and a lower purchase price. I have a great floor plan that works for us without it. It's a little tight if two people are trying to be near the bathroom, so we just take turns. I've had almost no issues with the trailer in the two seasons we've had it. I agree with the Meeker that it was challenging to find a trailer without a slide.

I don't have a self propelled lawnmower either. I've had it since 2015 and it still works like a champ. It's also electric, so almost no maintenance. I have the blade sharpened every year and I clean out the underside when grass starts to accumulate. It's also a plug in, so I never run out of juice or have batteries to maintain. You just have to have awareness of where the cord is so you don't run it over.

I like keeping things simple too. I agree with the OP. The simpler they are, the less likely they will break.

2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 3.0L Duramax 4WD
2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 01:04 PM   #4

When we went looking for a TT to get back into RVing, we had two criteria. First, NO SLIDE and a small unit with two axles. Our 2018 21QB fit the bill perfectly.
Old 08-26-2021, 01:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNSSR View Post
PREFACE:
Think back to when you cut grass with a normal push mower. Now think back to when you mowed your grass with a self-propelled mower. Is it me or did our self-propelled mowers go in for service about double what our push mowers did? Popular Mechanics had an article a few years back discussing the current state of our infrastructure but the crux of the article can be applied to almost anything mechanical & that is the more complicated something is, the more it is apt to break.

What do you all think?
My push lawnmower is from 1992 and if I were to go out now and grab the handle it will do exactly as expected.
Now I also have a slide out from 2010 and I carry a spare motor now because the one in there is a replacement!!!

AND THAT’s THE TRUTH

PS & the one at my wife’s summer home is from the late 60s( her father’s)
Old 08-26-2021, 01:20 PM   #6

I'd never own a trailer without a slide. The difference in interior living space and roominess is just too dramatic. My family feels claustrophobic without the slide. Even my 2007 Fleetwood Utah Popup had a slide ... and it was a gamechanger back then (but I also have 4 kids).

I've never had a self-propelled mower flake out on me, either. So, the analogy doesn't resonate with me.
Fomer RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 01:25 PM   #7

Only camper we have had with a slide is our 23B. It is a small slide. I have never had a single issue with it. I do make a habit to brush off the roof before retracting it. Personally, I cannot imagine going back to a TT without at least a small slide like ours across from the kitchen area. Not sure I would need or want one in the bedroom, 99% of the time I'm sleeping. If I was full timing might be a different story.

As for lawnmowers, as soon as switched over ethanol free fuel, it has not been back to the shop.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 01:34 PM   #8

no slides for me but my zero turn is way better than any electric or push mower... especially at over 4 acres of mowing... i just got a new one my old one i sold to my neighbor after 20 years of trouble free use... he loves it...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 02:28 PM   #9
Site Team

As others mentioned above, I went out of my way not to have a slide on our current unit. For our use, lots of road miles, frequent overnight stops, it works out perfect. And, not having to worry about that thing being in, or even worse out, when we are 2000 miles from home is priceless.

With that said, it all depends on your use. If you are going to be setting up and staying in the same spot for a while, slides are nice. I just don't personally want that headache with as much as we travel.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 09:31 PM   #10

I guess what I've taken away from this thread is that it's all up to personal preference. You can compare slides to self-propelled lawn mowers, or any number of other things in the world today. Cell phones, flip phone or smart phone? Crank windows in your car or electrics? The world is getting more complicated, or not. It's your choice.
Old 10-03-2021, 06:57 AM   #11

It is all up to personal preference and where you camp. In the East we have such forested campgrounds that trees don't allow deployment of a slide out. Kinda gives me a chuckle in Acadia in the two older NPS campgrounds. People with them have to adapt.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 07:27 AM   #12

I think you issue is more to do with the Lite trailer than the slideout. The fact of the matter is that they use less of everything on a lite trailer. Less frame, less studs, less cabinets, less flooring, etc to keep the weight down. Lite trailers have to make sacrifices, and you lose durability in that sacrifice.

I've completed 7 years with my Jayflight with slide without a single issue. I haven't met anyone camping with slide issues either. Granted, the more mechanical stuff you have, the more you risk something breaking, but slides seem to be dependable at this point in their evolution.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 09:07 AM   #13

I get the cases for both unit types. I really think no slide for heavy road use makes sense, but it's not an absolute. We stay pretty stationary in our use. If we were hopping from place to place, we would consider a smaller unit, and we'd consider non-slide models, too. In fact, when we're no longer working out of ours, we may go back to a small unit. They all have their pros and cons.

I'm not going to say we've never had an issue with a slide out because you know what will happen with our current slide model!!

Lawnmowers: I had a Honda that had constant drive axle and belt issues. I finally got tired of it and disconnected the the drive assembly. Now, it's our "ditch mow-chine." Our other self-propelled Honda has never had a single issue. It keeps the zoysia pristine!

However, my days of being the mower's tranny and differential are over. Down here, if you have more than a patch to mow and keep up with, the summer is brutal on an aging body. It will be self-propelled from here on to Glory.
gunafulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 09:28 AM   #14

I can relate to both sides of this. Years ago I had an 85 Chevette. The engine puked, somewhat my fault, and ended up replacing it with the same year bone yard engine. Nothing but electrical issues, it never ran right, constant CEL. That one puked some time later and I replaced it with a 79 engine. All mechanical, no sensors, etc.. It ran like a top. You hit the fun pedal to the floor quickly 2x and bump the key. It would light right off every time.
Lawnmowers,... I still use a push mower. One, my yard ain't big enough for a rider and two I need the excersize. Self propelled mowers are too much of a pia for me. They are heavy and too slow. I got a 38" inseam, you do the math. Lol!
It's hard to find a new mower that's not self propelled and will hold up. It's like every 6-8 years I'm buying a new one. Deck is rotted out, wheels fall off/wore out, sometimes the engines blow up, they just dont make stuff like they used to, and I take good care of my stuff too.
To my trailer, it's not a tt, but... Its got 5 slides and, knock on wood, my issues have been minimal. The hated Schwintec. I've not done any maintenance to them since I've owned it brand new in 16. I've had 3 slides go out of sync on me and 2 of them only once. Nothing that a little retiming procedure couldnt fix. I just recently did a lube maintenance to them per LCI video on youtube. What a difference that makes. Per Lippert that's about the only maintenance needed. So far so good but time will tell, like with everything else.
Old 10-03-2021, 10:12 AM   #15

That settles it. After reading all the posts I've decided to get a tent and a goat.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 03:55 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheGo View Post
That settles it. After reading all the posts I've decided to get a tent and a goat.
gunafulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 05:52 PM   #17
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNSSR View Post
PREFACE:
From the research I have done, it seems anything with a slide-out is more apt to have some type of issue [whatever x issue is - can be anything related to the slide-out] x2 more so than units without a slide-out.

What do you all think?

I think that is not true. With this being my third RV with slide outs, and having no issues at all I would say we need further research.

The most common issue I see, just from observation over the last 20+ years is water leaks and water line problems. All unrelated to slide outs.

CAG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 11:34 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
A goat is the original self-propelled lawn mower...that leaves you "presents" behind in the yard.

My push mower is a '97, the Goldwing's a '91, the wife's a '59, and now I have to save up to replace my 3G flip phone. I heard it'll be useless shortly.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 01:00 PM   #19

Quote:
Move to the Sonoran Desert (AZ). You won't need the goat.
Fastway E2 Trunnion WDH
deepsea5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 02:03 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsea5 View Post
Move to the Sonoran Desert (AZ). You won't need the goat.
Don't need one here either though goats are the only summer residents of some Maine islands.. Cheap pasturage and they don't have a yen to swim.

We don't need one either really.. Its all rock under the house. No way will lawn ever grow without 100K investment in topsoil

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is online now   Reply With Quote