Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-13-2014, 11:41 AM   #21

Looks like Group 27 sealed maintenance free to me. I would say that might be better than the average battery. We usually get Interstate group 24's around here.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 11:48 AM   #22

Well great that's good to hear! So to clear this up in my head, the battery will charge if I plug into an outlet and is it ok to leave it plugged in or will this eventually "overcharge" the battery? ( sorry for all the questions!)
Rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 02:39 PM   #23
Site Team

I have been trying to research this battery and have had no luck. All I could find for American Battery Company are UPS type batteries. I tried searching a number of different ways using the
AMB27M/B, 9036, KT3J07 (which is probably the date code) by mfr, with no luck. I would recommend that you take a trip down to the dealer (if in drivable distance as they respond better in person) that sold you the trailer, with pictures of the battery and ask them to bring up the manufacture information on line, for this specific battery. Ask them for the mfr's charging specifications for this battery. I can not locate this battery anywhere on the net. Can anyone? I am interested is what they say.
Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 03:21 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
I have been trying to research this battery and have had no luck. All I could find for American Battery Company are UPS type batteries. I tried searching a number of different ways using the
AMB27M/B, 9036, KT3J07 (which is probably the date code) by mfr, with no luck. I would recommend that you take a trip down to the dealer (if in drivable distance as they respond better in person) that sold you the trailer, with pictures of the battery and ask them to bring up the manufacture information on line, for this specific battery. Ask them for the mfr's charging specifications for this battery. I can not locate this battery anywhere on the net. Can anyone? I am interested is what they say.
Don
This is good advice. I tried many of the same search techniques to find out what that thing is (other than a sealed 12V) and I come up empty as well. Though I did find that many battery distributors slap their own label on batteries manufactured by others (eg, Deka). Taking it to (or just calling) the dealer service department may net better results.

One thing is that based on the price tag in the picture, I wouldn't be surprised if it was a sealed AGM or Gel Cell battery. This is somewhat more likely if it is used in backup power supplies (UPS Units) because they don't vent caustic fumes, and can be stored at different angles, and thus are safer to use in areas that may not be properly ventilated (like under your desk or the engine bay next to the state room in your yacht).

So here's a question: If you can pick it up or move it, can you hear any "sloshing" inside the battery? If not, it could very well be a sealed glass or gel battery. Or it could just be a sealed flooded cell battery (do they exist? at that price point?) that is full, but I don't think that is likely.

To answer your other question about plugging it in; I believe most Jaycos now come with "Smart" multi-stage chargers. This means that when you plug your trailer into shore power, the battery gets a higher voltage to charge it, then the charger decreases the voltage to a "float" level to maintain the battery. Bottom line if it has a "smart" charger, it will not hurt the battery if you leave the trailer plugged in indefinitely. "Does my trailer have a multi-stage 'smart' charger?" might be a good question to ask the service department while they're helping you with your battery.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 03:36 PM   #25

If the trailer is new, all the manuals should have come with it. Including the converter manual, which will likely reveal a 3 stage charging capability. Dollars to donuts its a WFCO brand converter.
s1njin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 04:05 PM   #26
Site Team

What Bob is talking about is that a charger has multiple charging stages. Some have 3 or 4 stages. Our 2013 Jayco Eagle 284BHS came with a PD4000 Power Control Center. It has 4 stages. When you have a chance look at your TT's Power Control Center to see which one you have. It may even have it listed in your TT sales information. To help you understand what is happening, here is a graph showing the different charging stages and an explanation of each stage.

Don

The PD4000
Click image for larger version

Name:	PD4000 Battery Charging Stats.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	11315
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 04:09 PM   #27

Holy cow you guys are all so knowledgable and helpful! When I get back home I will check this out...( and also check the manuals) I'll get back to you with my findings! Thanks so much.
Rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote