Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-29-2014, 09:53 AM   #1

Below freezing in the SLX models?

I didn't see anyone ask this yet, just passing references to other bigger units.

Since our SLXs don't have a "basement" are they usable at all for winter camping? I was considering continuing to go out camping until we have a long hard freeze. In Kansas the temps don't stay below freezing for extended periods until we hit January usually so I think it would be possible. The fresh tank is inside and probably can stay liquid if the camper is warm, but the waste tanks don't appear to have any protection.

Thoughts?
dj-matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 10:33 AM   #2

We winter camped for many years with trailers that had exposed tanks. The main thing to look out for is your city water connection and outdoor shower if you have one. When outdoor showers became a standard on campers it became something I had to add bypass valves on the inside of the trailer. You need to disconnect city water at night and insulate your outside shower if you have one.
The black and grey tanks will not freeze in a few hours or even in a day. I never had any issues with waste tanks.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 12:34 PM   #3

I have a heated hose, but all the park water supplies will be shut off before long so that won't help much. If I camp somewhere with a frost free hydrant, can you leave a heated hose connected all the time with the valve open?
Old 11-10-2014, 10:11 PM   #4

Well even though I've already winterized it, I'm leaving the furnace turned on at the lowest setting tonight and possibly all week. Kansas is getting nailed like everyone else with that cold storm rolling through.

I did have a question about the heat, does anyone know what the lowest setting on the Atwood HydroFlame thermostat equals? It's not labeled.