Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-19-2016, 11:00 AM   #1

Best Option for Bicycles on Hybrid Lightweight TT

We pull our Hybrid 2013 Jayco X20E with a 2104 Toyota Sequoia. I'd like to take bicycles. While we have a Thule rack for a receiver both Thule and Jayco seem to say don't put a receiver on the rear bumper of the trailer and carry bikes -- not to mention another thing to take care of before we could fold the bed down. So I'd like to avoid that route.

What is the most practical way you've found to carry bikes with a hybrid TT?

Dale
stlsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 11:08 AM   #2

We use the Arvika 2" receiver mounted to the A-Frame of the TT with a Thule CrossTrack carrier. Works great. The problem with the rear bumper mounts is the "whip" you get back there, which can lever off the bumper, or break the rack. Not nearly as big a problem over the A-frame, it is a fairly smooth ride.

Unfortunately though, you do have to pop the rack off before dropping the bunk; an extra 5 minutes in setup time. The Arvika sits below that level and does not have to be removed.

bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 02:10 PM   #3

We recently bought a new truck and had a receiver put on the front. The bikes ride rock steady and, if we need to, we can slip a cargo tray in to carry extra gear. I forgot to say we were tired of the bikes taking up room in the bed.

David & Sandy Hinkle
2014 X23B
2007 Honda Ridgeline Traded
2016 F150 Max Tow, Tow mirrors
dhinkle57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 08:51 PM   #4

<We use the Arvika 2" receiver mounted to the A-Frame of the TT with a Thule CrossTrack carrier. Works great. >

I had not heard of the Arvika receiver. Looks like a solution I may want to consider. Thanks.
Old 09-19-2016, 08:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
We use the Arvika 2" receiver mounted to the A-Frame of the TT with a Thule CrossTrack carrier. Works great.
I wasn't aware of the Arvika receiver. May be something I want to consider. Thanks.
Old 09-19-2016, 08:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhinkle57 View Post
We recently bought a new truck and had a receiver put on the front. The bikes ride rock steady and, if we need to, we can slip a cargo tray in to carry extra gear. I forgot to say we were tired of the bikes taking up room in the bed.
Hmmm. Receiver in front? Interesting idea. I wonder if it would be distracting, but it seems it must not be for you. Something I'll have to consider. Thanks.
Old 09-20-2016, 02:37 PM   #7

We use an anti rattle hitch hitch pin and that takes almost all of the movement out of the bike carrier. With the ford's sight line, the bikes so far haven't been a distraction. Plus, we have the option of pushing the camper into a tight site if we need to.

David & Sandy Hinkle
2014 X23B
2007 Honda Ridgeline Traded
2016 F150 Max Tow, Tow mirrors
dhinkle57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 02:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlsailor View Post
I wasn't aware of the Arvika receiver. May be something I want to consider. Thanks.
Note that Stromberg Carlson makes a similar unit too, available on Amazon for a bit less $$. But I was a bit leery of that one after reading the reviews, doesn't sound as sturdy or well made as the Arvika unit.

I gave some source information on this thread here:
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...xrb-39105.html
Old 09-20-2016, 03:49 PM   #9

I use the Stromberg-Carlson bike bunk. I cut the uprights down a bit for a better fit and to make sure it doesn't impede the bunk opening. I have to modify the bike carrier portion a bit to get a bit better turn radius.... next year.
For now, I just take the bikes off and fold up the wheel carrier before backing into a site. Fr regular road driving, the turn radius is just fine.
Swardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 10:22 AM   #10

How many bikes could you expect to get on the A-Frame mount w/o severely affecting maneuverability? I'm thinking it's only good for 2, or maybe 1 adult (closest to camper) and 2 kids bikes.
RFryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 10:47 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFryer View Post
How many bikes could you expect to get on the A-Frame mount w/o severely affecting maneuverability? I'm thinking it's only good for 2, or maybe 1 adult (closest to camper) and 2 kids bikes.
Depends mostly on the length of the bike rack extension arm. My Thule is a bit longer than many but comfortably carries two adult bikes with no maneuvering difficulty. The purpose built racks by Arvika sit closer to the TT and hold four easily, although an extra front support is needed over 2 bikes. I can back into a site with the bikes still on and have never had it interfere with the TV.

The picture I posted earlier in the thread shows two bikes mounted. The one on the outside is an XL frame MTB - I'm 6'3" so it is a large frame.
Old 09-23-2016, 11:17 AM   #12

Bankr63, doesn't the Arvika A-Frame mount only have 1 central vertical support? Your pics show 1 on each side of the frame.
Old 09-23-2016, 11:29 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFryer View Post
Bankr63, doesn't the Arvika A-Frame mount only have 1 central vertical support? Your pics show 1 on each side of the frame.
The "3rd arm" is an option available with their bigger racks and attaches the front of the bike rack to the A frame up near the coupler for more stability. Recommended for more than 2 bikes, but we only have a 2 bike carrier. I am not sure if it could be adapted for a non-Arvika rack or not; depends on how it attaches at the rack end. I would think it would probably only work with a tray style rack though; a hanging rack won't have anything to attach to.

Again, I have their 2" receiver rack, their bike racks share the same mounting components but the top of the rack would be different, and the bikes will ride closer in to the trailer.

Tags
bicycle, bike, bike rack