Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-31-2018, 09:47 PM   #1

bike rack question for Jayco Hummingbird 17BH

Hi guys,

We just bought a 2018 Jayco Hummingbird 17BH
We are a family of 4 who likes to bike so we are traveling with 4 mountain bikes.
I would like to be able to place 4 bikes on the trailer.
So I have ordered a hitch receiver mounting bracket and the mount-n-lock brackets to help support the bumper.
I would like to be able to store 2 bikes on that.
Then I would like to store 2 bikes on the front of the trailer.
Here is my question. Has anyone used the stromberg carlson frame and used their own 2 bike rack in that position? How much fore and aft distance did it take?
I feel that it could be getting close to the back of the truck which has a canopy.
anyone have any pictures of their set up they would like to share?
My reason for using this system is that once we arrive to our destination, i can take the racks off the trailer and put them back on the truck in the front and back to be able to drive to local trails.
Thanks for any tips,
Sean
doogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 10:30 AM   #2

https://smile.amazon.com/Lippert-Com...ds=jackit+bike
Old 11-02-2018, 10:52 AM   #3

Hi and welcome to JOF.

I have a similar setup on the tongue to what you are describing. I have the Arvika (original developer of the concept, and I understand it to be much stronger and better built than the SC version) receiver on my X19H. We use a Thule CrossTrak which does have a lot of extension on it but it clears the back of my Traverse. A couple of pictures:

Yes, it will probably be fairly close to your cap, but mine does clear the back of our SUV. with only about an inch to spare on hard turns. There are racks out there with shorter extensions however.

Note that the JackIt listed above probably won't work for you if you want to be able to move the rack over to the truck as well. I also don't like that it puts the point load almost directly over the tongue increasing weight there. The Arvika/SC option is a couple of feet back from the tongue, so TW effect will not be as large.

ETA: another consideration is that the rack MUST be removed to drop the bunk, although the Arvika components sit just low enough that they do not obstruct the bed.

EATA: ignore that last point. Just realized you wrote 17BH. Was thinking X17. Not a problem you will have!
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 11:15 AM   #4

Congratulations on the Hummingbird and welcome to the forum.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote