Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-28-2010, 07:33 AM   #1

Question brakes lock up

we have a 23b we have had it out on 2 outings and once back to the dealer for some warrenty work.
The brakes on the TT lock up. We have adjusted the control but it still happens. It seems to be fine when we start out but once we have been driving a while the brakes lock.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
2012 f250 diesel

mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 12:26 PM   #2

Your brake controller (mounted inside your vehicle) should have an adjustment wheel or buttons. After the brakes on your trailer heat up they expand slightly so you will need to reduce the electrical voltage to them by adjusting the brake controller. Be sure to reset the brake controller to higher voltage before towing your trailer the next time because the brakes will be cold and will have contracted slightly.

If you have the owners manual for your brake controller it should have clear instructions on adjusting the electrical power going to your trailer brakes.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:02 PM   #3

Had the kids clean the inside of my TV last week ... hooked up the trailer to take it down the 'mountain' over the weekend and didn't bother checking the controller. Guess when the kids were cleaning the truck they messed with the settings and by the time I realised it I was committed and heading down a 12% grade with smoke pouring out of the wheel-wells.

My controller is mounted on the maximum allowable angle which makes adjusting the system challenging at the best of times. I do know that when the brakes are cold, they're really sensitive and need to be played with depending on the weather, temperature and type of road (gravel vs pavement). Is it possible that your controler needs to be moved?

2010 JayFeather 23K
05 GMC Envoy XL
McMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 06:43 AM   #4

What Texas Sam says it "right on". I have my controller mounted just to the right of the steering column, about knee high, where I can easily reach it when on the road.

RE what McMonk said... If your a controller is mounted where you're "standing on your head" to reach it then "yes", I'd move it to a position where you can change settings (as per what Texas Sam said) with ease should you need to make adjustments.

My 2-cents worth....
RR Conductor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 07:47 AM   #5

The controller is mounted at knee height. WE adjusted it all the way out but did not try starting out with it adjusted to a higher sensitivity and changing it.
Will give that a try.
I will check if we have an owners manual for the brake controller as we have had a problem with the brakes since we brought it home from the dealer.
Thanks.
2012 f250 diesel

Old 09-29-2010, 12:23 PM   #6

We are also wondering if the TT brakes need adjusting. We did stop down hill at a traffic light and took foot off of brake petal and the vehicle did not move.
2012 f250 diesel

Old 09-29-2010, 03:58 PM   #7

Ahhh, now with that additional information I have another suggestion. At least two forum members have posted about trailer brake problems with new Jayco trailers. Healthi posted that their trailer brakes were replaced as a warranty issue. I don't recall the outcome for the other poster. Anyway, if you released the brake pedal on your tow vehicle and the brakes on the trailer were still locked up it is time for your dealer to examine the brakes and adjust them properly or replace the entire braking mechanism.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Sam View Post
Ahhh, now with that additional information I have another suggestion. At least two forum members have posted about trailer brake problems with new Jayco trailers. Healthi posted that their trailer brakes were replaced as a warranty issue. I don't recall the outcome for the other poster. Anyway, if you released the brake pedal on your tow vehicle and the brakes on the trailer were still locked up it is time for your dealer to examine the brakes and adjust them properly or replace the entire braking mechanism.
Thanks for the info! We were just not sure if we were not doing something right as this is our first TT and we have only camped in it 2 weekends now.
Yes we discovered the brakes were still set this week. So maybe we will take it back to the dealer for a check.
2012 f250 diesel

Old 09-29-2010, 05:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Sam View Post
We noticed our brakes are still squeeking (even after applying grease where dealer told us to). We hear it reverberating off surroundings in closed in area's. Hmmmmm..... But ours doesn't lock up.
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 06:53 AM   #10

Ours lock up almost everytime we use the brakes and have even smoked and smelled of burned rubber.
2012 f250 diesel

Old 10-01-2010, 09:11 PM   #11

Had our controller 'professionally' installed - it's at knee hight, easy to access but the controller is mounted at at about a 70 degree angle from horizontal - pretty easy to adjust but the manual states that this is about the maximum allowable angle to allow the sensors in the unit to measure the 'rate' of braking. As such, it's quite sensitve to any kind of adjustment and requires attention, particularily as the brakes warm-up. All pretty normal from what I understand.

The thing about trailer brakes - I believe the intent is to 'support' the tow-vehicles braking system...not to take over or control the braking of the whole unit. When adjusting, I'm careful to balance the braking system of my TV with the trailer...in essence, I don't really feel the brakes on the trailer working - the whole system is adjusted so that the Tow Vehicle brakes as if the trailer wasn't there...

Of course...living on this darn mountain I'm always starting off with cold brakes and a massive hill - a tough combination!

Brakes are important, not just for you, but for everyone around you...take the time not only to read, but to understand, your braking system...please.

2010 JayFeather 23K
05 GMC Envoy XL
McMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 06:11 AM   #12

Thanks!
Our controller was installed at the dealer when we purchased the TT
2012 f250 diesel

Old 10-06-2010, 07:49 AM   #13

after some reading One problem seems like it is the controller we have. The dealer just installed everything sway bar, weight distribution hitch and brake controller. We didn't know anything about different products that were available and the dealer did not mention different brands or choices. We were told they would outfit our TV with everything we needed and we didn't know to ask any questions about the products they sold and installed for us. So they installed a Journey Husky controller and what I have read they are not very good controllers and most tt owners recommend a prodigy. So we are taking it back to the dealer and telling them we want to return this controller and have a prodigy installed. WE are heading out again on a trip before we can get it to the dealer. So we are trying to get it adjusted so it is safer to drive before we head out. So we took it out to try and adjust the brake controller and I watched it as spouse braked and the front wheel locks up and the back wheel continues to roll. When brakes are released it is a hard release and releases with a jerk. we did finally once with everything on the lowest setting get both brakes to stop the tt when we manually used the brake controller to stop without it locking up. Any thoughts?? Thanks!!
2012 f250 diesel

Old 01-22-2011, 11:12 PM   #14

I maybe posting late on this but similar problems with my 2010 Jayco 314bds. I wrote a post about it. Lots of brake issues similiar but were from TT. I do not know about your brake control but highly recommend a proportional style controller. What this means is the controller senses how hard your braking your TV and applies equal stoppage to TT. I have the prodigy 2 brake control and love it. Huge upgrade from my standard time delay Reese brakeman. Good luck.
lou1216gc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 02:15 PM   #15

Thanks the dealer worked on the brakes and I think they are better but everything I keep reading seems like we need to replace with the prodigy
2012 f250 diesel

Old 02-21-2011, 05:39 PM   #16

If your Brake Controller is "time based", it will lock up. When locking up, the trailer can do a fish tail. Time based Brake controller cannot be fully adjusted - to stop from "locking up". IMO, "time based" controller should be illegal.

Before trying to "adjust" buttons and dials, tell us the exact name (brand and model) of your brake controller. Knowing this detail, we can provide the appropriate advice.... Instead of trying to "guess".

Spike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:52 AM   #17

As soon as we start pulling our trailer, we test the brakes before we even get out of the yard, and set the controller. Depending on the weather, wet, etc. amount of use, we try to keep them adjusted just right. Have never had a problem with them locking up.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:09 AM   #18

Like after doing my front axle brake on the TT and then went out to set the controller I could get then to lock for no one. Then I remember I had to get them heated up a bit and work the shoes.

After cruising around with it for about 30 miles I got it to the point I could lock it up on demand and addjusted for maximum stopping power. Other than that it pulls good now and stops on a dime.

But the brake do have to be warmed up a bit to work good.
Mopar1973Man is offline   Reply With Quote