Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-22-2016, 11:21 PM   #1

Broken couch '14 23MBH

So my 6 year old ran into the armrest of the couch, and the armrest has separated from the body of the couch.

Has anyone else had this happen or know how it's supposed to attach to the rest of the couch?

I've taken a preliminary look at it, but haven't figured out what Jayco had in there to hold it together.

2014 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L MAX tow pkg
Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 06:18 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald View Post
So my 6 year old ran into the armrest of the couch, and the armrest has separated from the body of the couch.

Has anyone else had this happen or know how it's supposed to attach to the rest of the couch?

I've taken a preliminary look at it, but haven't figured out what Jayco had in there to hold it together.
My 24mbh arm rests were held on with 3 screws. I tilted the seat up and got to them ok, but it is even easier if you remove the front panel. This is held on by two screws. I removed both of mine to make accessing the storage areas and head of the MB a bit easier. IMHO, the holes that are left are not too big and actually allows you stand bed-side a bit better.

I didn't check the framing on the arm rest but I you may just be able to move them a couple of inches left or right, depending on your ability to access the new mounting area with a drill and/or electric screwdriver.

This is what mine looked liked disassembled. NOTE!!! - This configuration is very wobbly and will not hold together w/o bracing.

and re-inforced:

My plan is to either re-attach the front kick panel with HD velcro (on the front legs and back of kick panel) or use a retaining strap of some kind to keep my under-sofa, slide-in storage containers in place whilst traveling.
nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 04:19 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply, your pics are better than what I would have taken!

Once I got the front panel off, I found the three screws that are supposed to hold the arm on. The top one had popped out, allowing the arm to flop around.

On my unit, they used three 2 1/2 inch screws to connect two pieces of 2X2's together. So I replaced them with 3 1/2 inch screws and that seems to be working better.

Now that I've had that front panel off, it's time to make a storage area out of that space...

Old 07-23-2016, 04:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Now that I've had that front panel off, it's time to make a storage area out of that space...
Yes, 100% agree. Just remember without the front panel, there is NO bracing to prevent the couch from collapsing to the left or right. That is why I used the square aluminum tubing and 1200lb Home Depot shelf brackets. This stiffened up the frame and now I cannot get the couch to sway left/right at all...
Old 07-23-2016, 07:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermind View Post
Just remember without the front panel, there is NO bracing to prevent the couch from collapsing to the left or right.
That's interesting. On my couch, the front panel is purely decorative and offers no structural support at all. It attaches to the horizontal bar that is just under the cushion, with three metal loops and wing nuts.

In any case, to allow for storage, I wouldn't get rid of the front panel. I'd just make it easier to remove/re-install. I saw another post on here where someone installed cabinet-style clips to hold it on.

Old 07-27-2016, 06:47 PM   #6

Quote:
That's interesting. On my couch, the front panel is purely decorative and offers no structural support at all. It attaches to the horizontal bar that is just under the cushion, with three metal loops and wing nuts.

In any case, to allow for storage, I wouldn't get rid of the front panel. I'd just make it easier to remove/re-install. I saw another post on here where someone installed cabinet-style clips to hold it on.
Good to see you have a solution for your situation! I'm finding there are a lot of clever people on this site!!!
Old 07-28-2016, 06:45 AM   #7

Funny. I just did this with my couch the other day. I re-attached the skirt - which was clearly not structural in any way with some salvaged hard drive magnets I had kicking around. I just punted them near the top and the cling right to the steel frame of the couch.
X213_2015 is offline   Reply With Quote