Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-28-2014, 07:58 PM   #1

Bumper Mount Griil Questions

Ok thinking about a bumper mount grill, went to my RV dealer today and looked at the mounts, I'm sure I can make a bracket and powdercoat it for little of nothing, went to lowes and found 2 grill options. One was a stainless master built for $99 that was really nice even had latches to snap the lid closed. Also found a Weber Q series with the flip out plate holders for the side. I really liked the weber due to its shallow size it wouldn't stick out far past the spare tire. They also make covers for them. The Weber has plastic legs that can't really be removed because the right side one holds the knob for the gas control. Has anyone mounted a Weber Q style on a rear mount? Also do most people use these bumper mounts to the rear or are they designed to come around under the awning? I didn't know if cooking under the awning would be ideal and my 165 awning arm would be very close to the rear and most likely in the way.
silverta16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:23 PM   #2

As far as I know grills aren't kept on those mounts permanently. They are stowed when traveling. Maybe I misunderstand your plan, but the comment on the legs has me confused a bit.

I have a weber Q200 and it's a great grill. We keep it in the trailer always. I also have the Weber Q collapsible stand. I never want my grill that close the TT sidewalls when cooking, to much heat and grease that could ultimately start to stick and damage the sidewalls.

Also, you didn't ask but I'll volunteer that I use 1lb bottles not the LP quick connect. They are easy to get, a bit more expensive, but the weber isn't a huge LP hog. In Yosemite last week I cooked 3 dinners (burgers, tri-tip, and chicken breasts) same bottle.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:49 PM   #3

It was my understanding the grill's are left on the mounts that way your not storing a stinky hot or dirty grill inside your camper. Just pull in and swing out and cook. No setup. They swing away from the camper so the heat isn't close to cause damage. That's why I don't want to use my factory grill rail on the side of my camper.

The weber has plastic legs that really interfere with hard mounting it permantly to a bumper mount. You can unbolt them and then you have 4 cast in tabs on the bottom of the grill you could use to bolt it down with, but the knob is cast into the right side leg so removing it messes that up.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:54 PM   #4

Guess I have never seen one left permanently...my neighbor has a keystone with the mount that swings from the bumper to the side, it's about 2' from the side wall when extended, and the grill stays in the pass through when traveling.

There could be something I've not seen---in fact very possible. I just don't see how the grill's grates and LP tubs can handle the constant motion traveling back there.

Take some pictures when you complete it, I'd be interested to see what you come up with.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:22 PM   #5

My biggest obstacle is how close my awning is to the rear of my camper. It won't allow me to swing the grill all the way around as it would hit the awning. As far as I could turn it would be 45 degrees from the bumper.
Old 04-29-2014, 02:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverta16 View Post
It was my understanding the grill's are left on the mounts that way your not storing a stinky hot or dirty grill inside your camper. Just pull in and swing out and cook. No setup. They swing away from the camper so the heat isn't close to cause damage. That's why I don't want to use my factory grill rail on the side of my camper.
The bears and raccoons will vote with you.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 05:02 PM   #7

I used a bumper-mounted grill as my "negotiating tool" when I purchased my trailer from Terrytown Travel Center in Grand Rapids, MI. It's a "Sidekick Grill" by Outdoors Unlimited, Inc., and Camping World has it in their "on-line" catalogue. It comes with a mount for the side of the trailer (looks just like the aluminum strip that's above my pass-thru hatches), as well as a stand that can either fit into that strip or set on a table. Also came with a Quick Connect for the trailer-mounted propane line. I insisted on a bumper mount, since I, too, was worried about blistering the fiberglass trailer side, or getting grease & smoke all over the side and the awning. The dealer supplied & installed the bumper-mount with metal "U" brackets like the kind for mounting a spare tire or a bike rack. I'm sorry I can't find a make/model for that bracket, nor can I find it on Outdoors Unlimited's website; but I suspect it was made by them, since it has pins that fit perfectly into sockets on the bottom of the grill. Did find a picture on a Google search. Hope I uploaded it correctly. If not, I'll go out & take some pics of mine. I really like the bumper-mount bracket! It locks in place above the bumper for traveling, but can swivel out about 180 degrees for grilling in different wind directions. It also has a small shelf for your basting sauce (or beer), as well al prongs from which to hang grilling tools. The grill is no Weber or Coleman, but it suits my needs perfectly. Definitely remove it from the bracket & stow it in the pass-thru for travel!
Attached Images

Old 05-06-2014, 07:39 AM   #8

I've never seen an RV going down the road with a "permanently" attached grill on the bumper. Seen some pontoon boats with a socket in the deck for a removable grill though. I keep my drippy, stinky grill in the bed of my truck while travelling. Just wipe the grease off the sprayed in bedliner and off we go.