Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-19-2014, 06:07 PM   #31
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
I am proponent of buy local and support small businesses. It might have a lot to do with the small rural town I live in and the fact that my parents and grand-parents own small businesses.

That said, because of the fact I live in a small rural town means there are many things I must buy online or from Big-Box retailers because they aren’t available locally.

I don't have a negative opinion of Amazon, Walmart, Home Depot, etc I just prefer doing business with folks I have known my entire life, who's kids are in school with my kids, and I know where they live and their home phone numbers. Maybe I am an old fashioned 30-something year old. Sure I often pay more for items than I could from shopping around, but then that is something I am doing consciously.

Now I am not going to just spend recklessly either. I have been known to let local businesses know when they are way out of line of certain items – guess what, because of my relationship often prices are adjusted some. For large purchases I usually try to buy used – I have found lots of great deals locally on CraigsList.

Like most things there is no “right answer” it’s an evaluation based on what’s important to you. Back to OPs topic – if I was buying a new EU2000i and my choice was Wise Sales for $900 or the Local Farm Store for $1049 – I am buying locally 100% of the time. Ironically however I bought my EU2000 on CL for $600.
Pretty much sums it up for me too except I will never see 30 something again, or 40 something either for that matter. Rural area here too and many things just are not available so in many cases I have to turn to Amazon or ebay. The nearest RV dealer of any kind is about 70 miles away, so no local opportunities there. There is only one new car dealer in the bi county area and they sell a brand I will never buy so that`s out. I have a favorite hardware store 5 miles from home that gets all of my business from lumber to nuts and bolts. The box home store may be cheaper, but the local store always gives me the contractor price, and I know the guys by first name. And they load the stuff for me. And the owner makes donations to Scout Eagle projects! So its a mix for me of trying to buy local, but in some cases its just not practical.

Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 06:40 AM   #32

I just saw this on RV Daily tips and since it was relevant to the converstation thought I would post it. RV tips is a FREE daily E-zine Sat Chuck posts a big weekly RV newsletter.. also FREE..
http://www.rvtravel.com/?q=daily-rv-tips-issue1229476

It costs less on the Internet but you may pay dearly later
by Steve Savage, Mobility RV Service

I got a call from the owner of an RV whose air conditioner had failed. He was traveling into the area, heading to some drag races, and requested warranty coverage work when he arrived. Houston, here is the problem:

As RV owners have increasingly relied on purchasing components and appliances on the Internet rather than from dealerships and service centers, we sales folk – like so many others – no longer maintain stock like we did in the past. Normally this time of year, we would have a dozen air conditioners in stock. This year we're not stocking any. That means in order to provide warranty service, we first have to verify a replacement air conditioner is required, then we have to order one from the manufacturer, wait for it to arrive, then remove the old one, install the new one and ship the old one back to the manufacturer.

In a case like the one above, we would not even have an air conditioner to install until after the drag races the RVer came up for were over and the owner was back on the road. We suspect this scenario will be repeated many times across the country. Like everything else, buying at the lowest price on eBay or similar Internet sites not only increases the likelihood warranty service will not be available for the person doing the buying, but also it increases the likelihood warranty service will not be available for others. There just never is a "free lunch," unfortunately. So, caveat emptor — "Let the buyer beware."

215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 11:46 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post
As RV owners have increasingly relied on purchasing components and appliances on the Internet rather than from dealerships and service centers, we sales folk – like so many others – no longer maintain stock like we did in the past. Normally this time of year, we would have a dozen air conditioners in stock. This year we're not stocking any. That means in order to provide warranty service, we first have to verify a replacement air conditioner is required, then we have to order one from the manufacturer, wait for it to arrive, then remove the old one, install the new one and ship the old one back to the manufacturer.

warranty service will not be available for the person doing the buying, but also it increases the likelihood warranty service will not be available for others. There just never is a "free lunch," unfortunately. So, caveat emptor — "Let the buyer beware."
Understand your point, but the minimial "in stock" parts situation is pretty much true of all retailers / service locations regardless of where you bought the unit. Not an RV part, but just bought an AC clutch kit for my wifes Jeep at Napa and it had to be ordered. Same is true for 90% of parts at my local GM dealer. Bottom line you find yourself in a no win situation if you have a failure while on the road or when you are in need of a quick turnaround on a repair on about anything.

I am not stupid so I don't drive 90 miles roundtrip for a $10 hinge that will cost me $14 at the local hardware. I also won't pay $599 for something I can get for $450 w/ free shipping. Local small businesses don't have the overhead of the bigger stores but also can't buy at the volumes and get the discounts of the box stores. I understand that, but the kind of markups for basic items at many locals is nothing more than taking advantage of the local residents. RV dealers are no different. I don't have a problem waiting for a part to be shipped in, but paying double for the repair will lead me to go another direction.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 01:18 PM   #34

I bought a 3000i Handi (Honda) from Wise. I live close to them and picked it up. Runs the RV great, what's even greater is when my power goes out and I plug it into my transfer switch. It probably doesn't burn 2 gal in 24 hrs

Jeff61 is offline   Reply With Quote