Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-02-2017, 11:50 AM   #1

Buying new ultralight tt to tow behind Dodge gand caravan.

Bought a new 10sd popup early past summer to tow with previously mentioned grand caravan. trailered great but not having a bath got to be cumbersome with young kids. So decided to graduate to a "lite" expandable to gain bath. so my question to all is can I use a weight distribution hitch on a van since it has a unibody type frame. A friend says no, but I see references to using one in owners manual and with extensive internet searching I cannot find any solid arguments against using one. Experiences an opinions greatly appreciated. The new "lite" expandable will be within weight requirements for trailering but the tongue weight is going to be very close to the max. I'd feel better with a WDH on this setup but wouldn't want to compromise the Tow Vehicles frame. Thanks for everyone's input on this.
kwatt57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 01:00 PM   #2

It all depends if your hitch will accept a WDH. Here is a response to a similar question on etrailer.com

First, you will want to determine if the hitch you have on your vehicle is rated for use with a weight distribution system. This information will be located on an ID label on the hitch itself. There will be a gross trailer weight and tongue weight listed for both with and without a weight distribution system. If your hitch does not list a rating for weight distribution, then one cannot be installed on your Dodge Caravan.

If you can use weight distribution, then you want to choose a weight distribution system that is rated for your Total Tongue Weight - the loaded tongue weight of the trailer plus the weight of anything loaded in the van behind the rear wheels.

According to the 2014 Dodge Caravan Owner's Manual, the max tongue weight vehicle is 300-360 lbs depending on the passenger and van's cargo size. Your 2014 Caravan cannot exceed the 300-360 lbs tongue weight limit.

If your total tongue weight is less than 400 LBS, then I recommend the Equal-i-zer Weight Distribution w/ 4-Point Sway Control # EQ37040ET. The Equal-i-zer system is rated closer to the limits of your vehicle. This weight distribution system is rated GTW 4,000 lbs and a max tongue weight of 400 lbs. The Equal-i-zer system's sway control design is superior than what the Pro Series uses on its system. The Equal-i-zer hitch uses a steel to steel 4 point sway control system to help limit trailer sway. Plus, the Equal-i-zer system includes a 2 inch ball rather than the 2-5/16 inch ball that the Pro Series hitch includes.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 05:31 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
I recommend the Equal-i-zer Weight Distribution w/ 4-Point Sway Control
Equai-i-zer has great customer service; I would give them a call and get their input as well.

wan-der-lust's YouTube Channel and Instagram

wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote