Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-17-2013, 09:00 PM   #1

Cable Hookups

After looking carefully at my new 185rb I suddenly realized there is no place to plug in a cable wire from the campground. I'm talking about an exterior hookup. Any ideas about how to accomplish this. In all my previous TTs there was an external hookup and when not using the antenna you only had to turn off the amp and the cable came through. HELP!
mike12110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:44 PM   #2

I have been trying to figure out how to run cable to my TV as well. It kind of pisses me off that Jayco couldn't spend 2 minutes and $5 on the cable to add to the TV area. To get anywhere near a professional looking install it would
take me a couple hours. I am not even sure that I can do it the way they would have because my TV is on the door side. Luckily my antenna works really well and I have lots of movies for my iPad.

What I thought about doing on my 184bh is running under the bottom and and snaking up through the cabinets. I would have to go through the cabinets in the bottom, up through the wardrobe, behind the microwave, and to the TV. Then id have to find a way to make a switch to go from cable to antenna.

X

2017 Jayco 287BHSW
xkuzme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:31 PM   #3

I added a cable hook up kit to my old PU. It was simply a matter of drilling a hole on the inside and the outside of the trailer. You run coax between the two holes. Connect the coax to both the inner and the outer cable plates and then attach the plates to the camper. Not difficult at all.

http://www.amazon.com/Prime-Products...v+tv+cable+kit

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:44 PM   #4

Problem is that in most of the Swift trailers, the best spot for the TV is on the Door side. It would not look nice or be practice to put the recepicle on the door side of the RV.

2017 Jayco 287BHSW
xkuzme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:00 PM   #5

fortunately in the 185rb the tv is on the back side. I ordered the hookup recommended above. It looks like it should be easy. I now want to get a cable switch to move back and forth. I still wonder what I'm to do with 34" of cable in a 2" wall. Oh well I'll figure it out when I get to it.
mike12110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:36 PM   #6

The excess cable can just hang there, but you don't have to have the plates right across from each other. You can also use a shoerter or longer cable depending on where you want the plates located. If I needed to put the indoor plate on the opposite side of the trailer I would drill the outside hole close to where you have access to water lines, heating lines, etc. Locate the hole so you can push the wire into the trailer or use a wire pulling ribbon and run it from the "access area" around the unit to the area where you want to install the inside plate. Drill the inside hole and fish the cable out of it. Connect the cable to the plates and the plates to the walls.

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote