Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-08-2015, 07:32 AM   #11

It certainly sounds like a bad NEUTRAL/GROUND situation coming from the camp ground pedestal.

Too bad no one had one of these TEST ADAPTERS handy that you could have plugged into the 30AMP pedestal connection using an adapter and read the status.

I most definitely would take a good hard look at what the previous owner mods did to this situation. You were getting sparks from the ground side of your CABLE TV connections at the normally grounded pedestal cabinet indicating the trailer outside metal was 120VAC "HOT". Never a good situation...

Roy Ken

RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 08:01 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by roybraddy View Post
it certainly sounds like a bad neutral/ground situation coming from the camp ground pedestal.

I most definitely would take a good hard look at what the previous owner mods did to this situation. You were getting sparks from the ground side of your cable tv connections at the normally grounded pedestal cabinet indicating the trailer outside metal was 120vac "hot". Never a good situation...

Roy ken
^. ^. ^.

X3

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 07:11 AM   #13

I'd take a volt meter and test for voltage on the end of the cable coming from the pedestal, if power is there, your problem is located, if not, with the cable still disconnected, test for voltage at your jack on the trailer. While the A/C tester shown above will determine status of your pedestal, it won't tell you if voltage is coming down the cable. Test at the trailer with and without your TV/amplifier on.

IF I had to guess, without knowing anything else, I'd think the tv cable MAY be running along side (parallel/in contact with) the buried electrical in the campground.

I made the same mistake when building my garage. I ran satellite tv coax in the same 2" PVC as power to a detached garage. This run was for about 50' and the caused the ends of the coax to be hot electrically. Did a little reading and found that not to be sound electrical practice and re-routed it well away from power. Problem solved.

Good luck and hope you find your problem.

Mike & Theresa, Madison, WI
2012 Jayco White Hawk 26SRK
2012 Ford F-150 EcoBoost FX4
Fatfenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 07:11 AM   #14

I'm curious if this problem was ever resolved. Curoius minds want to know.

2013 Eagle 29.5RKS
2013 Ford 6.7L diesel F350
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 12:05 PM   #15

Unfortunately I have not had time to investigate it. I got home and left 36 hours later for 22 days for work. Then got home for 6 days, now I'm gone for 14. Those six days were spent buying a car and replacing wheel hubs on wheelchair trailer, fixing the lawn mower and draining, patching, and refilling the pool as well as install in new power feed and pedestal for the pool pump. Hopefully I'll get to look at that and a floor problem in the bathroom when I get home next week. If I find anything I'll post it. I will be home for 14 days next time. Gotta get it to work as I'm spending one night at a Scuba park with my son.
tugboat95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 07:51 AM   #16

Looked at it yesterday. After playing contorsionist I got it out of the panel. Everything looks good. No scorch marks on the circuit board and all connections were tight. It works now at least in over the air mode. I don't have a cable to hook up to try it. I may have had the amplifier on??? Don't know if that could have caused it????. I'm driving by a camping world tomorrow on the way to another dive site. Thinking hard about pulling in and buying another board just to be on the safe side. That place is dangerous. Last 2 times I was at one I almost walked out with another trailer both times.
tugboat95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 08:08 AM   #17

The only VOLTAGE you should ever read on the end of the COAXIAL CABLE is 12VDC coming from the ANTENNA PANEL. This is probably fused at he ANTENNA PANEL for 6AMPS I think. Should not be enough current to melt things. Could cause some sparks however but if that ever happened would most definitely blow the fuse in the ANTENNA PANEL.

If you read 120VAC from the outer braid of the coax to ground then you will read the same thing from the trailer frame to ground which would be an issue with the pedestal power.

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 09:42 AM   #18
Site Team

Cable won't work if the amp is on. (Green button) is on.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote