Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-06-2015, 07:03 PM   #1

Cable TV wire hot

Came back to the camper today and the TV wasn't working. Neighbor left so I went outside to see if they had disconnected anything. Checked the end on the TT first. Burnt my hand! Down right hurts even now. Got a wrench and unscrewed it. As it fell off it sparked and melted the wire inside the fitting. Other end on the site connection was as hot as well. After hours for management now. My inside wires are all cool to touch. Would this be a problem with the campground side or do I have something going on inside the trailer? Any ideas? BTW got the antenna up and tuned so I can see Duke take out Wisconsin so I'm good for the night. I have an 08 feather light sport 165bh
tugboat95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 07:52 PM   #2

Wow! I'm surprised that the TV still works. Or if you have a CATv tuner inline, it's probably blown. I'm suspicious that there is some fault in the electrical ground there in the campground power.

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 03:55 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmooney View Post
Wow! I'm surprised that the TV still works. Or if you have a CATv tuner inline, it's probably blown. I'm suspicious that there is some fault in the electrical ground there in the campground power.
^^ This ^^

If there was some sort of electrical short within your camper, it would have tripped a breaker or fuse. That campsite has an issue; Perhaps a tent stake pounded into the ground at another site shorting power to the cable coax, and your campsite was on the recieving end. However, the coax connection at the site should have some sort of protection for this, at least at the main camp ground junction I'd think.

I always use an electrical outlet that has a cable coax/phone line (don't need that part) that trips if the coax gets a lightening strike or power surge. At camp sites, its not uncommon for folks to set up a tent in a location (close to the edge of a campsite for example) where the power or coax feed runs; they drive the stakes into the ground, and cut up the power or cable runs.

I'd think though that the power runs are deep, or well protected for this reason.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 04:54 AM   #4

The first thing that comes to mind is the campground power receptacle has a reversed hot/neutral and an open ground.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 06:39 AM   #5

You're saying that the tv connection coax was electrified? This is the case when using active amplified antennas or from a cable distribution box. There should be a blocking connector inline to prevent that power from going to the tv equipment. The block looks just like a normal "splitter" and someone may have used a non blocking where it should be blocking.
I'd say you have a possible insurance claim if there is damage.
Here is one with power flow clearly marked on it.
http://www.amazon.com/Valley-2-Way-C.../dp/B001X3MGFU
Here's one that doesn't
http://www.amazon.com/Splitter-Broad...YTWH3DCYRTDTEF
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 07:29 PM   #6

The campground maintenance guy came by today and hooked up a TV to the site's connection. It worked fine. Said issue must be in my trailer. I have a connection outside that goes into a factory installed switch. Flip it one way and I get cable. Flip the other and I get antenna with an amplifier. Next to impossible to see or get at. Supposed to be one or the other. Previous owner installed a separate thru hull cable jack. I'm thinking I now know why. Also Thinking I got an issue with the splitter amplifier piece. I'm now on the thru hull fitting. Gonna keep an eye on it this evening and look at option when I get home.
Old 04-07-2015, 09:34 PM   #7

I'm still concerned that the CaTV jack and or wiring is picking up ground to the trailer frame and that the hot cable is related to campground power issue.

I'm finding it very hard to believe that anything related to the CaTV equipment could create that level of heat.

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
Old 04-07-2015, 09:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tugboat95 View Post
...As it fell off it sparked and melted the wire inside the fitting.
Right there's your answer. There was so much juice coming through the cable from the pedestal it sparked- and it wasn't hooked to your rig at that time. I don't see how it could be a problem with your TT. Had to be a campground problem, in my opinion.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 03:54 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tugboat95 View Post
The campground maintenance guy came by today and hooked up a TV to the site's connection. It worked fine. Said issue must be in my trailer. I have a connection outside that goes into a factory installed switch. Flip it one way and I get cable. Flip the other and I get antenna with an amplifier. Next to impossible to see or get at. Supposed to be one or the other. Previous owner installed a separate thru hull cable jack. I'm thinking I now know why. Also Thinking I got an issue with the splitter amplifier piece. I'm now on the thru hull fitting. Gonna keep an eye on it this evening and look at option when I get home.
Of course the campground maintenance guy will say this; they in no way will want to admit guilt on their side, as they will be liable to any damages when its proven; his statement avoids that initially....

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 06:10 AM   #10

Not sure right now. No problems last night with my amplifier/splitter out of the loop. But I've never had this problem before and I have use both fittings. I generally keep the TV connected to the splitter just so I can use the antenna at home and a dive site we go to that doesn't have cable. Just flip a switch,right??? Been thinking about buying a dish and using a spare box I have at home and bringing it. This may have pushed me over the edge. But before I do anything when I get home with better tools and less people and gear in the way, I'm going in that cabinet and take a better look at my setup.
Old 04-08-2015, 06:32 AM   #11

It certainly sounds like a bad NEUTRAL/GROUND situation coming from the camp ground pedestal.

Too bad no one had one of these TEST ADAPTERS handy that you could have plugged into the 30AMP pedestal connection using an adapter and read the status.

I most definitely would take a good hard look at what the previous owner mods did to this situation. You were getting sparks from the ground side of your CABLE TV connections at the normally grounded pedestal cabinet indicating the trailer outside metal was 120VAC "HOT". Never a good situation...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 07:01 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by roybraddy View Post
it certainly sounds like a bad neutral/ground situation coming from the camp ground pedestal.

I most definitely would take a good hard look at what the previous owner mods did to this situation. You were getting sparks from the ground side of your cable tv connections at the normally grounded pedestal cabinet indicating the trailer outside metal was 120vac "hot". Never a good situation...

Roy ken
^. ^. ^.

X3

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
Old 04-18-2015, 06:11 AM   #13

I'd take a volt meter and test for voltage on the end of the cable coming from the pedestal, if power is there, your problem is located, if not, with the cable still disconnected, test for voltage at your jack on the trailer. While the A/C tester shown above will determine status of your pedestal, it won't tell you if voltage is coming down the cable. Test at the trailer with and without your TV/amplifier on.

IF I had to guess, without knowing anything else, I'd think the tv cable MAY be running along side (parallel/in contact with) the buried electrical in the campground.

I made the same mistake when building my garage. I ran satellite tv coax in the same 2" PVC as power to a detached garage. This run was for about 50' and the caused the ends of the coax to be hot electrically. Did a little reading and found that not to be sound electrical practice and re-routed it well away from power. Problem solved.

Good luck and hope you find your problem.

Mike & Theresa, Madison, WI
2012 Jayco White Hawk 26SRK
2012 Ford F-150 EcoBoost FX4
Fatfenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 06:11 AM   #14

I'm curious if this problem was ever resolved. Curoius minds want to know.

2020 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak Titanium
2013 Eagle 29.5RKS (traded in)
2013 Ford 6.7L diesel F350
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 11:05 AM   #15

Unfortunately I have not had time to investigate it. I got home and left 36 hours later for 22 days for work. Then got home for 6 days, now I'm gone for 14. Those six days were spent buying a car and replacing wheel hubs on wheelchair trailer, fixing the lawn mower and draining, patching, and refilling the pool as well as install in new power feed and pedestal for the pool pump. Hopefully I'll get to look at that and a floor problem in the bathroom when I get home next week. If I find anything I'll post it. I will be home for 14 days next time. Gotta get it to work as I'm spending one night at a Scuba park with my son.
Old 06-02-2015, 06:51 AM   #16

Looked at it yesterday. After playing contorsionist I got it out of the panel. Everything looks good. No scorch marks on the circuit board and all connections were tight. It works now at least in over the air mode. I don't have a cable to hook up to try it. I may have had the amplifier on??? Don't know if that could have caused it????. I'm driving by a camping world tomorrow on the way to another dive site. Thinking hard about pulling in and buying another board just to be on the safe side. That place is dangerous. Last 2 times I was at one I almost walked out with another trailer both times.
Old 06-02-2015, 07:08 AM   #17

The only VOLTAGE you should ever read on the end of the COAXIAL CABLE is 12VDC coming from the ANTENNA PANEL. This is probably fused at he ANTENNA PANEL for 6AMPS I think. Should not be enough current to melt things. Could cause some sparks however but if that ever happened would most definitely blow the fuse in the ANTENNA PANEL.

If you read 120VAC from the outer braid of the coax to ground then you will read the same thing from the trailer frame to ground which would be an issue with the pedestal power.

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 08:42 AM   #18
Site Team

Cable won't work if the amp is on. (Green button) is on.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote