Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-04-2020, 12:38 AM   #1

Can Freshwater Tank be Backfilled with the Water Pump?

2015 185RB Baja

I came across this section of the owner's manual. It's the section describing how to hook up and use a city water supply. It seems to imply that the water pump can be used to backfill the freshwater tank: Stick the hose into a water container, attach the other end to the city water inlet, and then turn on the water pump.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fresh water fill.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	60740

It was my understanding that the pump was one-way and that the city water circuit completely bypassed the freshwater tank.

Can one backfill the freshwater tank from the city water inlet using the water pump?
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 01:12 AM   #2

Yeah the water pump pulls from the fresh tank. There is an anti-freeze line that the pump will also pull from but I don't think it goes back to the fresh tank.
brwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 08:17 AM   #3

You should be able to pull water into the fresh water tank using the water pump. On my Greyhawk the setting is called country fill. The pump doesn't have much suction so a check valve/filter on the water inlet may have to be temporarily turned around. This is the same valve setting used to suck a sanitizing solution into the water system.
Old 07-04-2020, 08:59 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by brwarrior View Post
Yeah the water pump pulls from the fresh tank. There is an anti-freeze line that the pump will also pull from but I don't think it goes back to the fresh tank.
I'm wondering about filling versus withdrawing from the freshwater tank.

I do have an antifreeze suction line attached to the pump but the instructions indicate to attach the drinking water hose to city water inlet.
Old 07-04-2020, 10:06 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppers4 View Post
You should be able to pull water into the fresh water tank using the water pump. On my Greyhawk the setting is called country fill. The pump doesn't have much suction so a check valve/filter on the water inlet may have to be temporarily turned around. This is the same valve setting used to suck a sanitizing solution into the water system.
The 185RB has a pretty simplistic system. No valve settings for me. Just a freshwater gravity fill and a city water connection. The instructions also don't mention disassembling and reversing any components. Just hook up to the city water inlet, turn on the pump, and backfill the freshwater tank.

I suppose I'll just have to give it a try today.
Old 07-04-2020, 12:11 PM   #6

My owners manual says the same thing. Hook a hose to the city water connection and the other end in any water source and turn on the pump and it will draw it into the fresh tank. Although I've never tried it, it does seem intriguing. Let us know what you find out please.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 12:14 AM   #7

Yeah, your water system is a bit different. If you could include the previous steps perhaps I can suss it out.
Old 07-05-2020, 08:12 AM   #8

That does sound intriguing. But, why bother. If you are going to hook a hose to the city water connection, why not just fill the tank using the outside water tank fill with the hose.
Kozmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 11:53 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppers4 View Post
Yeah, your water system is a bit different. If you could include the previous steps perhaps I can suss it out.
The previous steps are just two steps about hooking to city water: Screw hose into city water connection; turn on city water.
Old 07-05-2020, 11:55 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozmo View Post
That does sound intriguing. But, why bother. If you are going to hook a hose to the city water connection, why not just fill the tank using the outside water tank fill with the hose.
As the instructions suggest, this could be used to fill from a container rather than a spigot, such as when one cannot get the TT close enough to the spigot to use a hose.
Old 07-05-2020, 11:59 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNashville View Post
My owners manual says the same thing. Hook a hose to the city water connection and the other end in any water source and turn on the pump and it will draw it into the fresh tank. Although I've never tried it, it does seem intriguing. Let us know what you find out please.
I tried it. Didn't do a darn thing.

My freshwater tank was empty. I put one end of a hose into my 6 gallon water container and connected the other end to the city water connection. I turned on the pump and could hear it running, but it didn't suck a drop out of the 6 gallon water container.

And really, I wouldn't expect it to. Pumps don't just magically start pumping in the opposite direction from what they're specifically designed to do. I suspect it's generic instruction in the "JayFlight SLX" manual that might cover other setups with valving.
Old 07-05-2020, 02:25 PM   #12

If you have a winterizing/antifreeze valve, and a second valve.... Turn them both and try it again. One of my valves opens up the winterizing tube. The other valve diverts the pump output (normally goes to the fixtures) pressurized side back into the tank inlet pex.

We use this all the time when dry camping. Rather than moving the RV to a fill location, I fill a couple of 7 gallon "aqua-tainers". Then I pump the water into the fresh water tank.

I did make two changes from Jayco factory. I replaced the clear 1/2" hose with a longer one that actually reached the ground. This keeps me from trying to hold the water jug or balance it on something. Then I cut two "V" shapes into the end of the hose, with the point towards the pump. This keeps the hose from sucking to the side of the container and slowing/stopping the flow of water.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 05:16 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
If you have a winterizing/antifreeze valve, and a second valve.... Turn them both and try it again. One of my valves opens up the winterizing tube. The other valve diverts the pump output (normally goes to the fixtures) pressurized side back into the tank inlet pex.

We use this all the time when dry camping. Rather than moving the RV to a fill location, I fill a couple of 7 gallon "aqua-tainers". Then I pump the water into the fresh water tank.

I did make two changes from Jayco factory. I replaced the clear 1/2" hose with a longer one that actually reached the ground. This keeps me from trying to hold the water jug or balance it on something. Then I cut two "V" shapes into the end of the hose, with the point towards the pump. This keeps the hose from sucking to the side of the container and slowing/stopping the flow of water.

So from what you are saying, if I am connected to a non potable pressurized water supply, but have previously filled the fresh water tank with potable water, can I get potable water then at my kitchen sink by merely turning off my pressurized non potable supply and then starting up the water pump? I assume you would have to let the pumped water run briefly to purge the non potable from that line?
reiddo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 05:30 AM   #14

Quote:

This is basically winterizing or sanitizing without using the antifreeze or sanitizing solution and using clean water instead.

Although this will work on rigs with a Nautilus P3 water control system it may not work for all rigs. On my prior Class A when winterizing the antifreeze did not get sucked into the tank before being sent to the lines and this procedure would not work.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 05:55 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by reiddo1 View Post
So from what you are saying, if I am connected to a non potable pressurized water supply, but have previously filled the fresh water tank with potable water, can I get potable water then at my kitchen sink by merely turning off my pressurized non potable supply and then starting up the water pump? I assume you would have to let the pumped water run briefly to purge the non potable from that line?
Um, no. non-potable is not what you should ever put in your fresh water tank. And this is not pressurized at all. It is your pump filling your fresh water tank with potable water from the non-pressurized side.

I attached a simplistic diagram I made while prepping to re-pipe my pump from the "quality" job the Jayco installers did

Click image for larger version

Name:	fresh water.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	60840
Old 07-06-2020, 06:03 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
This is basically winterizing or sanitizing without using the antifreeze or sanitizing solution and using clean water instead.

Although this will work on rigs with a Nautilus P3 water control system it may not work for all rigs. On my prior Class A when winterizing the antifreeze did not get sucked into the tank before being sent to the lines and this procedure would not work.
It is a similar process (without chemicals), but the valves were clearly designed to do this exact process. The second valve diverts from the faucets to the tank.
Old 07-06-2020, 06:12 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K View Post
2015 185RB Baja

I came across this section of the owner's manual. It's the section describing how to hook up and use a city water supply. It seems to imply that the water pump can be used to backfill the freshwater tank: Stick the hose into a water container, attach the other end to the city water inlet, and then turn on the water pump.
Attachment 60740

It was my understanding that the pump was one-way and that the city water circuit completely bypassed the freshwater tank.

Can one backfill the freshwater tank from the city water inlet using the water pump?
I didn't really answer your last question. The "City water" inlet would expect pressurized water from a hose. A City water connection would supply pressurized water that can be directed to the tank. Therefore, you should not need the water container or pump to fill the tank, that way.
Old 07-07-2020, 02:48 AM   #18

Quote:
Um, no. non-potable is not what you should ever put in your fresh water tank. And this is not pressurized at all. It is your pump filling your fresh water tank with potable water from the non-pressurized side.

I attached a simplistic diagram I made while prepping to re-pipe my pump from the "quality" job the Jayco installers did

Attachment 60840
Thank you very much for this. I will check my system again with this new information.
reiddo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 12:27 PM   #19

We have a 2017 31XL and the valve station we use to fill tank is country fill!
We are at a park with low water pressure so I fill the fresh water tank and use the pump for a better shower!
Weatherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 12:29 PM   #20

Sorry it is city fill but country fill and sanitizing/winterizing will also fill the tank from any source including a hose dropped into a 5 gallon bucket!
Weatherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote